PDA

View Full Version : City Running Binder

Alchemyre
2013-11-27, 01:10 PM
Greetings, so our DM is running a campaign in which each PC runs a city. We start at level 15 and also have a level 13 Cohort that we must also build. I have decided I'd like to play a Binder (mostly for flavor reasons). I know most of the other players are optimization junkies (while I'm more of a roleplay and flavor style player), so I'm wondering what would be a good 15 level Binder build for running a city and also what type of Cohort would be best to cover the weaknesses of my character. We have 200k to spend between the main PC and the Cohort, and we MUST have the Leadership feat (kind of obvious). I'd like to go for a astronomy type feel but that's just a preference.

Novawurmson
2013-11-27, 01:39 PM
The thing about the Binder is that it's almost completely dependent on how you want to build it, so a cohort would be a great way to complement however you're doing it. Making a melee binder? Make an arcane or divine support for it. Making a support character? Make a beatstick to buff.

Psyren
2013-11-27, 01:44 PM
A city-running Binder would be a Diplomancer with Naberius who has every major player in the city eating out of the palm of his hand. Hell, Naberius' influence is perfect for any politician.

mabriss lethe
2013-11-27, 01:51 PM
Binder, similar to ToB classes, has a pretty high optimization floor. Once you get the standard binder feats, you can do pretty much anything and it won't damage your build. Likewise, they have a fairly low optimization ceiling. Very few things will vastly improve a binder's abilities. If you're going for a straight binder, just take whatever looks fun. However, if you want binding and high optimization, I'd say mix in some Wizard and go with the Anima Mage PrC.

Vaz
2013-11-27, 02:08 PM
Bard/Binder Anima Mage. Persist Bluff. Proceed to win.

There is also an Urban Soul Binder which was included within the Iron Chef challenge, which might prove useful.

Alchemyre
2013-11-27, 03:35 PM
Bard/Binder Anima Mage. Persist Bluff. Proceed to win.

There is also an Urban Soul Binder which was included within the Iron Chef challenge, which might prove useful.

I was actually considering playing an Urban Soul before I stumbled upon Binder. I managed to hunt down that IC build you mentioned. I would have to weigh my options with it, as it is a 20 level build and I currently only have access to 15. It would be deciding what to drop, and I'm not liking losing the Soul Binding progression.

Grollub
2013-11-27, 03:42 PM
I would put Naberius and Zceryll as high on the list for spirts.. anything else would just be personal taste or fluff

AstralFire
2013-11-27, 03:43 PM
For your cohort, Sublime Chord is an excellent Astronomical/Astrological themed support.

Alchemyre
2013-11-27, 07:02 PM
I would put Naberius and Zceryll as high on the list for spirts.. anything else would just be personal taste or fluff

I actually like Zceryll quite a bit. Both for what it does, and fluff to match my general theme.

And I'm still without race, so any suggestions for a good race (both mechanically and fluff-ily) will help out. I find my biggest problem is using races I deem ugly, despite how good they are.

Urpriest
2013-11-27, 07:15 PM
Are you aware of the Cityscape Vestiges (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070307a)? They're mostly high quality, and fit your theme.

Grollub
2013-11-27, 08:51 PM
Are you aware of the Cityscape Vestiges (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070307a)? They're mostly high quality, and fit your theme.

Desharis would fit nicely i think with Naberius and Zceryll i think.

Another option for a cohort, to think on, is do a fiend of possession build.. then wield your cohort )

Alchemyre
2013-11-27, 10:04 PM
Desharis would fit nicely i think with Naberius and Zceryll i think.

Another option for a cohort, to think on, is do a fiend of possession build.. then wield your cohort )

I've actually never heard of a Fiend of Possession. How does it work?

Grollub
2013-11-27, 10:47 PM
I've actually never heard of a Fiend of Possession. How does it work?

there are several handbooks for it online, http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251581 is one thread..

Basically you can possess, for example, a sword, and then use psionic powers, as well "buff" the sword changing what +'s the sword is, or what magic powers the sword has. ( ie.. 1 round you could have a +1 flaming burst human bane sword, the next +2 Icy burst orc bane ) You get a pool of +'s to work with and can change around what the weapon you possess does.

Hangwind
2013-11-27, 11:01 PM
One thing to think about: If you are going to hit Epic, you may want to stick with pure binder.

Why?

Binders have THE best epic progression there is. With just a couple of feats you go from binding 5 vestiges at 20 to binding 9 at 25, one of which can be an epic for only one feat.

Seriously, at that point, you can do everything at once.

Alchemyre
2013-11-28, 10:06 AM
there are several handbooks for it online, http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251581 is one thread..

Basically you can possess, for example, a sword, and then use psionic powers, as well "buff" the sword changing what +'s the sword is, or what magic powers the sword has. ( ie.. 1 round you could have a +1 flaming burst human bane sword, the next +2 Icy burst orc bane ) You get a pool of +'s to work with and can change around what the weapon you possess does.
After doing some research (as much as they talked about it in the thread you linked, they never mentioned what books they are from, heheh), I think as well as it would work, it's probably way too complicated for my blood.

@Hangwind: We may get into Epic, knowing my DM, but I surely hope we don't. This is his first time DMing and as you can tell by the mechanics of the campaign, and he's already in way over his head (I think the other players will take advantage of him), so I'd like to try to keep things simple.

I'm considering using Dvati Twin Assassins as my Cohort, if he'll let me, just for the lulz.

Maginomicon
2013-11-28, 10:38 AM
In Dragon Magazine #341 page 71, you're offered the option to bind yourself to Primus, the One and the Prime, the creator of the Modrons. That thematically seems like an excellent vestige for running a city, even when under its influence, and its abilities fit that as well. Plus, its EBL 3, so most anyone could bind themselves to Primus. In fact, it would make sense for a king or mayor to insist that his major subordinates also bind to Primus for the practical benefits doing so would enable.

Alchemyre
2013-11-28, 01:03 PM
In Dragon Magazine #341 page 71, you're offered the option to bind yourself to Primus, the One and the Prime, the creator of the Modrons. That thematically seems like an excellent vestige for running a city, even when under its influence, and its abilities fit that as well. Plus, its EBL 3, so most anyone could bind themselves to Primus. In fact, it would make sense for a king or mayor to insist that his major subordinates also bind to Primus for the practical benefits doing so would enable.

I really, REALLY love the flavor of him, but sadly, he seems really underpowered compared to the other Vestiges of even the same level. There are a couple that can do the things he does, but better. Teamed with the fact he refuses to bind with Tenebrous (one of the cheesiest of Vestiges) makes him even worse.

Update: The DM okay'd the Dvati, that means I can use them for my Cohort. I may turn them into something of Bodyguards, at first I thought Assassin, but realized I could just make them into another Binder (as one of the Vestiges gives Death Attack). I could keep one in the shadows while the other stands beside me. Those who aren't knowledgeable of the Dvati (most people) wouldn't know to expect a second character.

Also, Knight of the Sacred Seal requires Weapon Focus (any) but Binder only gets access to simple weapons. What would be the best Simple Weapon to focus in?