PDA

View Full Version : Iron Chef Competition Judges Metrics

Tim Proctor
2013-11-27, 03:18 PM
I wanted to start a conversation about judging metrics, so people could critique and offer suggestions for them to help the judging.

Anyways here is the one I've been working on. I'd love advice.

Note: I started each category at a 3, with players the ability to earn up to a 5.

Note: the term ‘feature’ is used in many of the calculations below and a feature is defined as an aspect of the secret ingredient that is a requirement for entry, or gained through the levels. In the case of Black Flame Zealot the following features are:

Stealth (hide, move silently), Religion (knowledge (religion), Zealous Heart), Weapon use (weapon prof (kukri)), Mental resilience (iron will), Spell Casting (divine casting), Fire (sacred flame, unholy immolation), Assassination (sneak attack, death attack, poison use). There are seven total.

Originality
-(i/x), i = each iteration of a race, class, feat, or maxed skill set (maximum ranks available) being used by another player, x total amount of players.
+.25, if a race, class, feat, or maxed skill set that was not used by another player.

Note: features of the secret ingredient are excluded from the above calculation.

Note: features that are separate from each other regardless how similar are treated separately. Knowledge (religion) is as separate from Knowledge (nature) as a Desert Half-Orc is from a Half-Orc.

Intent: With 1 race, 3 classes, a minimum of 2 skills and 6 feats that offers a total bonus of 3. However, most SIs will require skills, feats, etc. for entry this is estimated at 4 requirements meaning the expected maximum bonus would be 2 for a 5.

Power
+.25, for each feature of the secret ingredient that has been reinforced.
-0.5, for each feature of the secret ingredient missing reinforcement.
+/- x, (offense) x=((average damage output at level 20)*(initiative/10))/100.
+/- x, (defense) x=((HP max 1st average the remainder)*(AC/40))/100.
+/-.25, for each of the following that are not SI features: Spell casting level >= 8, AC (with max mundane available) >= 35, Social modifiers (2 of diplomacy, bluff, sense motive) >= 40, Stealth modifiers (hide and move silently) >= 40, Scouting modifiers (listen and spot) >= 40, Knowledge modifiers (2 or more knowledge) >=40, Crowd Control (3 or more mass CC effects).

Note: max damage output is capped at 500 offering a maximum of +2, there is no need for an orbital charger.

Note: AC is calculated using 4 if limited to wearing light, 6 if limited to wearing medium, and 8 if allowed to wear heavy. AC will be given an addition 2 if allowed to use a shield (meaning not 2 handed).

Note: reinforced can mean a number of things generally maxed skill ranks where appropriate, a feat that is related, racial and class bonuses and/or synergies, etc.

Intent: is to strike a balance between offense, defense, SI use and versatility.

Elegance
-1 per flaw, failure to qualify for a feat, class, etc.
+x, per class 5 or more levels, where X= levels*0.1 (if a 5 level class 0.5 points, if a 10 level class 1 point).
-1 for a 1 level splash, -0.5 for a 2 level splash.
+/-x, discretionary use for alignment issues, cheese, rules interpretations, etc.

Note: failures to qualify will be a cascading cumulative effect, meaning that if failure to qualify for X means that you also would then fail to qualify for Y then you would fail to qualify for both.

Intent: With 2 classes at level 5, and a SI for 10, this offers a bonus of +2. So long as the build qualifies for everything, has no issues it brings to the maximum of 5.

Use of Secret Ingredient
+0.5, if the SI class feature is reinforced in a superb manner the combination of three or more reinforcement factors.
+.25, if the SI class feature is reinforced in an good manner the combination of two reinforcement factors.
-.25, if the SI class feature is not reinforced in any manner.
-0.5, if the SI class feature is not reinforced and receives a negative penalty due to something else in the build such as a poor ability score, armor penalties, etc.

Note: see the reinforcement definition above in the power section.

Intent: With the above example with 7 class features if 6 are reinforced via classes, feats, etc. in a good manner and one is reinforced in a superb manner this would offer a maximum of +2 for the score of 5.

Vaz
2013-11-27, 07:24 PM
It is your judging, not really a community one where people offer suggestions. That is the point in having/hoping for multiple judges.

Only time I'd really question a rubric was having a double penalty for the same thing across several areas.

If there are major complaints with judging there is the dispute process. If you aren't bothered to address the dispute system, like in an unfortunate other competition recently, then there's no point in judging.

Be fair, and stick to a rubric, published or no. Having a rubric allows it to be easier for you to check off the criteria, but if you judge them all with the same eye, and address the relevant complajnts (i.e X had Darkstalker and was scored higher, Y did, but didn't get the points what gives) etc etc.