PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder w/ Quintessential books

Luciandevine
2013-11-27, 03:35 PM
I know you guys all love your ridiculous and broken characters. So I have to ask. Have any of you tried using the Pathfinder base classes and combining them with their quintessential counterparts? If so, what were the results?

Luciandevine
2013-11-29, 10:50 AM
^Bump^ Again, I am just curious if anybody has tried this, and if/how it worked out.

137beth
2013-11-29, 10:54 AM
I'm confused as to what the question is...could ya clarify?:smallconfused:

Ruethgar
2013-11-29, 11:10 AM
The Quintessential books are powerful, I would not advise using them except for perhaps Aristocrat. I haven't played PF, but considering the general increase in the bottom level of power for most classes, the Quintessential books would likely have less of an effect on their ability than with regular 3.5. If you mean to combine the PF Witch and the Mongoose Witch, I am not sure how that would work let alone how powerful it might be.

Being able to pick an Archetype, Character Concept, Career, and a Path of Prowess may be a bit much. Careers and Paths of Prowess are generally fairly balanced, some more than others, but the Character Concepts are a bit too potent in many cases. Some of the options are similarly unnecessarily powerful, especially for the Cleric and the Druid. Similarly, the status section of the Aristocrat should probably not be used, that book adds enough to leadership already.

In summary, the Quintessential books are highly unbalanced and would probably only add headaches to your games unless the party enjoys higher power and some unique abilities(such as being able to brew an SLA, or grow a spell, or heal with fire, or pray in mass for awesome protection).

Luciandevine
2013-11-29, 11:58 AM
The Quintessential books are powerful, I would not advise using them except for perhaps Aristocrat. I haven't played PF, but considering the general increase in the bottom level of power for most classes, the Quintessential books would likely have less of an effect on their ability than with regular 3.5. If you mean to combine the PF Witch and the Mongoose Witch, I am not sure how that would work let alone how powerful it might be.

Being able to pick an Archetype, Character Concept, Career, and a Path of Prowess may be a bit much. Careers and Paths of Prowess are generally fairly balanced, some more than others, but the Character Concepts are a bit too potent in many cases. Some of the options are similarly unnecessarily powerful, especially for the Cleric and the Druid. Similarly, the status section of the Aristocrat should probably not be used, that book adds enough to leadership already.

In summary, the Quintessential books are highly unbalanced and would probably only add headaches to your games unless the party enjoys higher power and some unique abilities(such as being able to brew an SLA, or grow a spell, or heal with fire, or pray in mass for awesome protection).

Thanks! That's pretty much what I was looking for, and truthfully, what I expected, lol. Thanks for the input.