PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 WOTC D&D Permanent Psionic Tattoo

Adonis
2013-11-27, 03:53 PM
My DM is only allowing 3.5 WOTC Resources so no Open Game Licenses. I want to create a psionic tattoo that is permanent but can't find rules to back me up on it. I thought about using quintenessence in the tattoo ink to make in permanent, and incarnate to make the power inside the tattoo permanent, but how would i remove the damage from quintenessence every round(I want to give my party permanent tattoos.). Does anyone know any 3.5 WOTC rules that would let me do this without all of that trouble?

Rubik
2013-11-27, 04:14 PM
The closest you'll find (outside the suggestions for pricing in the DMG) is http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20031225a, and I believe that's 3.0.

Oh, and quintessence doesn't damage the manifester, if you'll notice. It doesn't stop you from being fully immersed, but tattoo ink made from quintessence won't harm you so long as there's any skin not inked with it.

Adonis
2013-11-30, 03:21 AM
but i dont need the tattoos myself i wanted them for my party :/

Kelb_Panthera
2013-11-30, 03:44 AM
Rubik's link is what you're looking for. It's an official WotC web article, so it's official WotC material, and it has permanent tattoos among a number of other nifty things you can do with psionic tattoos.

Rubik
2013-11-30, 11:17 AM
but i dont need the tattoos myself i wanted them for my party :/If you want quintessence that doesn't harm others, he or she has to be the manifester of the power; beyond that, the flesh the tattoo is emblazoned on can't be living, whether construct or undead. For the first, you'd have to go with a UPD'd power stone or the Soul Crystal power (from Magic of Incarnum). For the latter, any undead template, the half-golem template, or a warforged/undead/construct graft, then inscribe the tattoo on the non-living part.

But it'd be easier just to talk to your DM about the tattoos in the article, since it's perfectly in line with 3.5 psionics without any real changes (other than the powers at the end).

Adonis
2013-11-30, 04:36 PM
Im not seeing where it would let me make permanent tattoos though...

Rubik
2013-11-30, 05:01 PM
Im not seeing where it would let me make permanent tattoos though..."Capacitor [C]: This psionic tattoo uses ink made from finely ground and distilled crystal. A capacitor can be linked to a psionic tattoo, or to tattoos linked via a relay. Tattoos linked to a capacitor do not fade away after being tapped provided the capacitor is at full power; otherwise they fade away as normal."

Adonis
2013-11-30, 05:11 PM
well i saw that but it would take days to use it again unless i wanted it to disappear

Rubik
2013-11-30, 05:13 PM
well i saw that but it would take days to use it again unless i wanted it to disappearMultiple tattoos? Rechargeable tattoos? What if you used the resetting magical trap rules from the DMG and Dungeonscape?

Kelb_Panthera
2013-11-30, 05:21 PM
You need a capacitor and a transducer attached to the tattoo you want to use frequently. The capacitor keeps the tatt from fading and the transducer lets you recharge it. Then you just need a steady supply of PP's. If you don't burn through your entire allotment every day you can just recharge them for your buddies yourself. Fill a cognizance crystal for them then they use those pp's to recharge their tattoos.

Adonis
2013-11-30, 05:42 PM
Thanks thats what ill probably end up using, but if there is any power that could take the damage off of the quintenessence then i could roleplay creating the stuff and without having to go through all of that trouble...

Rubik
2013-11-30, 05:50 PM
Thanks thats what ill probably end up using, but if there is any power that could take the damage off of the quintenessence then i could roleplay creating the stuff and without having to go through all of that trouble...Hardness works, being the manifester works, and inserting it in nonliving flesh works. Otherwise, I don't think it works.

Adonis
2013-11-30, 06:02 PM
Well, i don't know which idea i will try, but maybe i can still convince my DM to use the hyperconcious book.

Adonis
2013-11-30, 08:46 PM
Multiple tattoos? Rechargeable tattoos? What if you used the resetting magical trap rules from the DMG and Dungeonscape?

What page is that on, i never really explore the DMG or dungeonscape lol

Rubik
2013-11-30, 08:50 PM
What page is that on, i never really explore the DMG or dungeonscape lolhttp://www.d20srd.org/srd/traps.htm is where the DMG rules are. Dungeonscape mostly gives new ideas for traps (including beneficial traps of CLW and stuff).

Adonis
2013-11-30, 09:44 PM
My dm said he isnt in the mood to talk about D&d, but i don't think he will allow those reset trap rules because it isnt a trap.

Rubik
2013-11-30, 09:45 PM
My dm said he isnt in the mood to talk about D&d, but i don't think he will allow those reset trap rules because it isnt a trap.General Akbar would agree.

Adonis
2013-11-30, 09:48 PM
I guess that the capaciter and transducer will have to do, its better than paying like 100g per tattoo i have to make lol

Manly Man
2013-11-30, 10:01 PM
I just follow the rules for making eternal wands, which are considered a wondrous item, and simply have them be tattoos for manifesting instead of items to cast spells.

Adonis
2013-11-30, 10:12 PM
I dont know much about dnd i have been playing for about 6-12 months, but my dm wont let me do anything that he has to bend rules for. But, here is another question, why are psionic item creation all so expensive??? its like take the base price of 9000 and half it, thats how much the materials to make it is. Im like...BS!!!

Kelb_Panthera
2013-11-30, 11:26 PM
The costs aren't really all that bad if you're not trying to do something silly.

Are you familiar with the idea of Wealth by Level (WBL for short)?

You see, the system expects characters of a given level to have a given amount of wealth. This is shown by a table in the DMG on page 135. If the total value of your gear is significantly off from the value suggested by the chart for a character of your level then your character's ability to deal with encounters of a CR appropriate to your level will be thrown off to a commensurate degree, at least in theory.

Adonis
2013-11-30, 11:36 PM
my character has got 480g and a psibane quarterstaff, thats it :/ (The quarterstaff is expensive but i didnt choose it, and i cant even fight melee being a psion seer)

Rubik
2013-11-30, 11:39 PM
my character has got 480g and a psibane quarterstaff, thats it :/ (The quarterstaff is expensive but i didnt choose it, and i cant even fight melee being a psion seer)Take the Ancestral Relic feat and feed your quarterstaff to your Amazing Tattoo of Doom?

Kelb_Panthera
2013-11-30, 11:44 PM
Ouch. Gold stingy DM, eh?

Perhaps the DM would be willing to let you spend XP in place of gold. The going rate is 1xp = 5gp. You wouldn't want to get too spendy this way but it might be an option.

For precedent look in BoED, specifically in the voluntary poverty section, and the pricing guidelines I linked earlier. Both give the 5:1 exchange rate and BoED gives precedent for using xp in place of expensive components for spells.

Adonis
2013-11-30, 11:50 PM
That xp thing might come in handy, and how would a tattoo be an ancestral relic lol. noone in my family would have owned it since i made it, and it would disappear after 1 use unless i could make it permanent in some way. :O

Kelb_Panthera
2013-12-01, 12:00 AM
Tattoos -can- be transferred from one person to another except when noted otherwise in their description, however that doesn't help here since the permanent portions of this setup are non-transferable and a regular tattoo isn't permanent.

Ancestral relic is a no-go for the permanent tattoo thing, but it might be a good idea for some other piece of equipment.

Rubik
2013-12-01, 12:02 AM
That xp thing might come in handy, and how would a tattoo be an ancestral relic lol. noone in my family would have owned it since i made it, and it would disappear after 1 use unless i could make it permanent in some way. :OIt's a mark on your body, and (unless something really strange is going on, or you're a construct), you proooobably got your body from your ancestors...

Adonis
2013-12-01, 12:06 AM
My dm said i will need this weapon but i am better with my powers, and what is does is good but for someone that actually fights melee.

It gives +2 damage and +4 to hit psionics, +2d6 damage against psionics, and -1 manifester level for the psionic for 1d6 rounds(DC 18 will).

If someone hit me(and i failed the save) i could still do 5d10 points of damage at level 5 by using overchannel. He said i will be fighting psionics way higher level than me. So if i dont kill them with one hit, im screwed 0.o

Kelb_Panthera
2013-12-01, 12:13 AM
Ugh. That's enough red flags to suggest to me that your DM isn't much more experienced with the game than you are?

It'd be trivial to show him that he's just mathematically and tactically wrong about that staff being anything but a waste of your time but psychological resistance means he'd probably just insist that much harder that he knows what he's doing. People are funny that way.

Keep it (or pass it to an ally) and just forget it exists while focusing on effective use of your powers. Do your best to sell him on that XP thing as it'll be your best shot to get those tattoos on you and your buddies. Finding the down-time to actually do the crafting might be difficult though.

Good luck.

Rubik
2013-12-01, 12:14 AM
My dm said i will need this weapon but i am better with my powers, and what is does is good but for someone that actually fights melee.

It gives +2 damage and +4 to hit psionics, +2d6 damage against psionics, and -1 manifester level for the psionic for 1d6 rounds(DC 18 will).

If someone hit me(and i failed the save) i could still do 5d10 points of damage at level 5 by using overchannel. He said i will be fighting psionics way higher level than me. So if i dont kill them with one hit, im screwed 0.oIf you're psionic, you'd better get rid of that psibane weapon ASAP. You're hit with a negative level whenever you hold it.

Adonis
2013-12-01, 12:42 AM
my dm said it was made for me special so it doesnt affect me

Rubik
2013-12-01, 12:51 AM
my dm said it was made for me special so it doesnt affect meYou're still better off getting rid of it and buying something useful, instead.

Adonis
2013-12-01, 12:54 AM
yeah thats what i thought, but my DM insists that i keep it, so watch it have something i dont know about it then i get rid of it

Rubik
2013-12-01, 01:02 AM
yeah thats what i thought, but my DM insists that i keep it, so watch it have something i dont know about it then i get rid of itYou could always get your hands on the Metamorphosis power and a psicrystal and have your psicrystal use it for you while you buff it up.

Adonis
2013-12-01, 01:11 AM
I have a psicrystal, but all of my powers are for me, or for combat. i have no buffing powers.

Rubik
2013-12-01, 01:18 AM
I have a psicrystal, but all of my powers are for me, or for combat. i have no buffing powers.Metamorphosis turns your psicrystal into an all-purpose tool.

Use those construct HD and medium BAB for all they're worth.

Adonis
2013-12-01, 01:32 AM
metamorphasis is extremely long! i dont even feel like reading it lol... what would be the best form for it??

Rubik
2013-12-01, 01:44 AM
metamorphasis is extremely long! i dont even feel like reading it lol... what would be the best form for it??Well, hydra is always a favorite, but those can't use staves (not that you're likely to care most times).

Girallons are halfway decent, and can 4-hand a single weapon if they want, gaining 2.5x Str to damage.

Cave trolls are always good.

And since psicrystals are constructs, feel free to start looking up golems with high Strength values.

Adonis
2013-12-01, 01:49 AM
well ill have to wait to get the feat to let me get another discipline's power, and until im level 7

Telok
2013-12-01, 02:06 AM
It should be noted that Mind Thrust is [Mind-Affecting], Power Resistance: Yes, and Will: Negates. If that is your primary attack power you may soon be facing an encounter inclusing psychic constructs or undead, or an Intellect Devourer. In that case a psibane weapon would be welcome.

In my own game the party sorcerer sat out an entire fight against a golem because all of his attack spells were SR: Yes and he had no control spells or party buffing spells. The beguiler was more effective in that fight than the sorcerer. The beguiler even did damage with an adamantine weapon, the sorcerer just sulked.

Generally a character, even a caster or manifester, should carry a weapon just in case they need to smack something. It's in the same vein that they carry little used but situationally powerful spells on scrolls and have a non-magic trick or two just in case they find themselves fighting in a dead-magic zone. In D&D land one trick ponies are tier 4, the tier 1s are rated highly because they are highly versatile.

Adonis
2013-12-01, 02:20 AM
It should be noted that Mind Thrust is [Mind-Affecting], Power Resistance: Yes, and Will: Negates. If that is your primary attack power you may soon be facing an encounter inclusing psychic constructs or undead, or an Intellect Devourer. In that case a psibane weapon would be welcome.

In my own game the party sorcerer sat out an entire fight against a golem because all of his attack spells were SR: Yes and he had no control spells or party buffing spells. The beguiler was more effective in that fight than the sorcerer. The beguiler even did damage with an adamantine weapon, the sorcerer just sulked.

Generally a character, even a caster or manifester, should carry a weapon just in case they need to smack something. It's in the same vein that they carry little used but situationally powerful spells on scrolls and have a non-magic trick or two just in case they find themselves fighting in a dead-magic zone. In D&D land one trick ponies are tier 4, the tier 1s are rated highly because they are highly versatile.

I have already fought a half-dragon giant crab(has a vermin subtype, which makes it immune to mind-affecting abilities/powers), and a warforge titan, and have energy ray, energy push, and energy burst as my powers.

Telok
2013-12-01, 06:59 AM
I have already fought a half-dragon giant crab(has a vermin subtype, which makes it immune to mind-affecting abilities/powers), and a warforge titan, and have energy ray, energy push, and energy burst as my powers.

Then you need to be able to cope with Power Resistance and... Are four of your eleven powers known blasting powers? Well, that's your choice.

Good luck.

Adonis
2013-12-01, 01:28 PM
I just dont want to attempt to hit something with that because ill have a +7 to hit psionics and a +5 to hit anything else. So if i miss(My dm has creatures with like 32 ac sometimes) then ill be within hitting range and be screwed.

Rubik
2013-12-01, 01:56 PM
I just dont want to attempt to hit something with that because ill have a +7 to hit psionics and a +5 to hit anything else. So if i miss(My dm has creatures with like 32 ac sometimes) then ill be within hitting range and be screwed.As mentioned, you'd be better off going with something else. How about taking the Wild Cohort feat for an animal companion to guard you? Or paying a small amount of money for a warbeast (MM II template) dinosaur and investing in Handle Animal? Or staying the hell out of the way when your normal blasty powers don't work?

You really don't want to be in melee, with your d4 hit die, although combining the Share Pain and Vigor powers with your psicrystal can make you fairly tough using temp hp. But with a small HD, probably a lowish Con, likely a low AC, low Str, lowish Dex, and no BAB to speak of, you REALLY don't want to be in melee, oddball psibane staff or no.

Adonis
2013-12-01, 02:09 PM
As mentioned, you'd be better off going with something else. How about taking the Wild Cohort feat for an animal companion to guard you? Or paying a small amount of money for a warbeast (MM II template) dinosaur and investing in Handle Animal? Or staying the hell out of the way when your normal blasty powers don't work?

You really don't want to be in melee, with your d4 hit die, although combining the Share Pain and Vigor powers with your psicrystal can make you fairly tough using temp hp. But with a small HD, probably a lowish Con, likely a low AC, low Str, lowish Dex, and no BAB to speak of, you REALLY don't want to be in melee, oddball psibane staff or no.

Well i built myself as a tempered glass cannon instead of a normal glass cannon.
Level 5 48 HP, 23 AC when using my inertial armor, 18 Con, 13 Str, 15 dex, and no BAB to speak of (2)