PDA

View Full Version : Medium knockback

Kaeso
2013-11-27, 04:29 PM
I'll keep it short and simple: I'd like to know if there's a (not too cheasy) way to get knockback (or some comparable method to get free bull rushes) on a medium sized dungeoncrasher fighter.

Flickerdart
2013-11-27, 04:31 PM
Goliaths are Medium creatures, and explicitly qualify because of Powerful Build. It stands to reason that other creatures like Half-Giants that also have Powerful Build can qualify.

Curmudgeon
2013-11-27, 04:35 PM
It stands to reason that other creatures like Half-Giants that also have Powerful Build can qualify.
That's a reasonable argument for a house rule, but no help if you stick to the RAW. As written, it's a Goliath-only exception.

Kaeso
2013-11-27, 04:42 PM
Goliaths are Medium creatures, and explicitly qualify because of Powerful Build. It stands to reason that other creatures like Half-Giants that also have Powerful Build can qualify.

Of course, I completely overlooked goliaths! Thanks for the tip.
I was wondering though, if a medium sized creature that isn't a goliath (let's say a human) had an item (if any of you can suggest such an item, you're welcome to do so) that reliably allows him to switch between medium and large size, would this human be able to take the knockback feat (of course assuming that it'll only work when he's large)?

Flickerdart
2013-11-27, 04:43 PM
That's a reasonable argument for a house rule, but no help if you stick to the RAW. As written, it's a Goliath-only exception.
Eh, you can look at it that way, but what's written is "goliaths qualify by virtue of their powerful build racial trait". It's the trait, not the being a goliath, that meets the qualification.

Slipperychicken
2013-11-27, 04:46 PM
That's a reasonable argument for a house rule

Seconded. Houserule it in because it's fair and makes sense.

Curmudgeon
2013-11-27, 06:34 PM
Eh, you can look at it that way, but what's written is "goliaths qualify by virtue of their powerful build racial trait". It's the trait, not the being a goliath, that meets the qualification.
The problem with that viewpoint is:

Powerful Build existed prior to Races of Stone's publication; this "Goliath" trait was copied from Half-Giants.
None of the feats in Races of Stone make any mention of either Half-Giants or Powerful Build without Goliaths.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-11-27, 06:44 PM
The problem with that viewpoint is:

Powerful Build existed prior to Races of Stone's publication; this "Goliath" trait was copied from Half-Giants.
None of the feats in Races of Stone make any mention of either Half-Giants or Powerful Build without Goliaths.

Isn't that because (with a few exceptions) WotC tried to make their products as stand-alone as possible?

Carth
2013-11-27, 06:52 PM
Isn't that because (with a few exceptions) WotC tried to make their products as stand-alone as possible?

That's not a unique trait to WotC, from an editing perspective trying to make inclusive lists from back catalogs is a pain in the neck for anyone.

Half-giants and so forth aren't going to be any more troublesome with this feat than goliaths, allow it and call it a day.

Urpriest
2013-11-27, 06:55 PM
I was wondering though, if a medium sized creature that isn't a goliath (let's say a human) had an item (if any of you can suggest such an item, you're welcome to do so) that reliably allows him to switch between medium and large size, would this human be able to take the knockback feat (of course assuming that it'll only work when he's large)?

RAW: As long as they were large on the moment they leveled up, they qualify.

RAI: There is a long history of published handbooks and magazines advising Druids to take things like Improved Natural Attack and Multiattack, so you should qualify just by ability to take a Large form.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-11-27, 07:03 PM
There is also the Brutal Surge weapon property in MIC, though it's limited in times per day.

Nettlekid
2013-11-27, 09:50 PM

I've seen it mentioned frequently that you need only meet a feat's prerequisites at the time you take the feat, though you then lose the benefits if you stop meeting the prereqs. So if you're Large when you level up, you can take a Large-only feat, lose the benefit when you're Medium, and get it back when you're Large again.