PDA

View Full Version : Wolven Race (PEACH)

Gwazi Magnum
2013-11-27, 05:15 PM
Basically, a race of wolves who evolved to become Humanoid.

History/Culture is highly built around military honor, honesty, cooperation with others and loyalty to your family and nation.

No ability score adjustments
-Free Bonus Feat Level 1
-Track as a free Feat
-Scent ability
- +2 to Listen, Spot and Search Checks
- +2 Diplomacy with honest people
Favored Class: Fighter

Basically I'm looking for ideas and suggestions on how to better represent them and make them more realistic and representing of their nature through the racial stats.

Just to Browse
2013-11-27, 05:20 PM
The free bonus feat is too much, I'd toss that. Perhaps give them some sort of +2/-2 stat combo they can minmax in recompense.

+2 diplomacy with honest people is... Geuh. Wolves have no real reason to be honest or like honesty more than humans.

Personally, I'd make these things able to run on four legs, give them some small natural attack, improve their senses, and boost their move speed. That suits a race pretty well.

Gwazi Magnum
2013-11-27, 05:29 PM
The free bonus feat is too much, I'd toss that. Perhaps give them some sort of +2/-2 stat combo they can minmax in recompense.

+2 diplomacy with honest people is... Geuh. Wolves have no real reason to be honest or like honesty more than humans.

Personally, I'd make these things able to run on four legs, give them some small natural attack, improve their senses, and boost their move speed. That suits a race pretty well.

The free bonus feat represents the racial's high value and preference for military training and to represent their adaptability like humans. But I admit that it is pretty powerful.

The diplomacy is meant to be representive of how when they became more intelligent/sentient they valued honestly immensily and became very skilled at honest negotiation.

Their senses already are improved like Elves are though.

The movement speed and natural attacks I can see though.
I'm thinking 40ft per turn, and 1d6 bite attack, 1d4 claw attack?

As for four feet, all I can think of is +10 speed, lose use of hands.

Just to Browse
2013-11-27, 06:59 PM
That's a lot of stuff to put in one race. You'll need LA+1 to balance it out.

GreaserFish
2013-11-27, 08:49 PM
No ability score adjustments
-Free Bonus Feat Level 1
-Track as a free Feat
-Scent ability
- +2 to Listen, Spot and Search Checks
- +2 Diplomacy with honest people

If you don't mind, I'd like to make a few suggestions to modify this.

- +2 Con -2 Cha
- Free Fighter Bonus Feat or Weapon Proficiency at Level 1
- Gains Scent ability with the Track Feat
- +2 to Listen, Spot and Sense Motive Checks
- +2 Knowledge (History) checks involving the Wolven
Changes in bold, naturally.

My reasoning, in order of changes:
- They come from tough stock, hence the Con bonus, but they tend to be very intense, which makes it hard for them to communicate their emotions to other species. Martial cultures typically come across as dour by other cultures' standards.
- You mentioned that they are a very martial race with a big military bent, as opposed to a more proud warrior race type. As such, they would all likely have some kind of training with combat regardless of whether they're a fighter or a wizard. They wouldn't exactly have the full range of feats
- Not all of them would necessarily take the time to actually learn how to professionally track others, but those that do would have natural proficiency due to their wolf-like noses.
- Search doesn't quite fit in with their natural senses and is more of a detail oriented thing than Spot and Listen, but Sense Motive fits in with their honorable theme, I would think.
- You did say that they value their military history, but it would be reasonable to expand that to their entire cultural history.

Does any of this sound about right?