PDA

View Full Version : Any Good One-shots for Introducing a Busy Friend to D&D?

Amaril
2013-11-27, 08:38 PM
A friend of mine has expressed interest in trying D&D, but doesn't have enough free time to commit to a regular campaign. I've invited her to join one of my groups for a one-shot game at some point so she can try it out without having to make time for more than one meeting, and I'm looking for suggestions on pregen adventures we can play that would be good for introducing a new player to the game and giving them as much of the complete D&D experience as possible in a limited time. If you have any modules to suggest, it'd be great if you could restrict them to a title and perhaps a brief description, since I'm not actually going to be the one running the game (my dad is) and I'd rather not damage things by knowing a lot more about the adventure than my teammates.

Also, if you have any advice on introducing friends to the hobby more smoothly, I'm happy to listen. In case it matters, the friend in question is acquainted with all our group members already, so OOC introductions won't be an issue.

Gray Mage
2013-11-28, 12:05 AM
What edition would this be?

Amaril
2013-11-28, 12:14 AM
As of now, I'm working on the assumption that it'll be 3.5. My dad has said he'd be cool with running whatever.

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-11-28, 12:43 AM
Tomb of Horrors? :smalltongue:

The Oni
2013-11-28, 01:48 AM
Let me just say that, if you're OK with doing a slight conversion from Pathfinder I much enjoyed The Night March of Kalkamedes.

Amaril
2013-11-28, 10:33 AM
Tomb of Horrors? :smalltongue:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH...ah ahahahah...ahahahahaha no :smalltongue:

Let me just say that, if you're OK with doing a slight conversion from Pathfinder I much enjoyed The Night March of Kalkamedes.

Pathfinder conversion shouldn't be a problem. My only other question--can that entire adventure reasonably be done in one session? Or is it one of those things that's billed as a one-shot when it'll actually take most groups like three meetings?

3drinks
2013-11-28, 04:19 PM
For a simple module in 3.5, I've had good measures of success with The Sunless Citadel - it's basic, it's good for new players, and it's not terribly difficult to defeat (new players always want to feel the accomplishment of a successful mission rather than the shame of running to avoid total defeat). And the campaign is made for level one characters, so you don't have to get this new guy started on a higher than starting level.

Amaril
2013-11-28, 04:42 PM
For a simple module in 3.5, I've had good measures of success with The Sunless Citadel - it's basic, it's good for new players, and it's not terribly difficult to defeat (new players always want to feel the accomplishment of a successful mission rather than the shame of running to avoid total defeat). And the campaign is made for level one characters, so you don't have to get this new guy started on a higher than starting level.

That sounds pretty much perfect :smallsmile: Although the comic sans font makes me a little worried that you're trolling me somehow, heheh.

Gray Mage
2013-11-29, 09:32 PM
That sounds pretty much perfect :smallsmile: Although the comic sans font makes me a little worried that you're trolling me somehow, heheh.

I support Sunless Citatel as a good module, although I think it'll take more then one session (I can't think of many one session modules, to tell the truth). I have yet to run it, but I think the Scourge of the Howling Horde is good too.

Amaril
2013-11-30, 12:54 AM
I support Sunless Citatel as a good module, although I think it'll take more then one session (I can't think of many one session modules, to tell the truth). I have yet to run it, but I think the Scourge of the Howling Horde is good too.

Well then I'll just have to hope our new player likes the game so much that she starts leaving more free time in her schedule to play with us more :smalltongue: Regardless, I think my group has determined that we are, indeed, running Sunless Citadel.

At my friend's request to build her a character, I'm making her an elven bard (knowing her, I'm pretty sure that's the perfect combo). Any more advice on teaching new players is more than welcome, of course.