PDA

View Full Version : Cobolon IC

Gaiyamato
2013-11-27, 08:39 PM
The Dwarves at first struggled through the snow in the high peaks. One by one dropping of frostbite. Pushing onward as they had no choice.
Harald made his way through the blizzard to lead the column along with his loyal champion and the last remaining elders of the tribe.
Up steep mountain paths, with the wind, and snow against them. Rockfalls constantly taking many civilians with them.
The sounds of children crying into the cold air slowly faded away as one by one they died in the horrors of the frostfell mountains.

On the second day the group reached a peak, just as the blizzard cleared and the sun shone down on them through white clouds, though it did nothing to warm them and the air was now thin - leading to the last of the elders dying, prayers to Nordi on their frozen lips. Stretching out as far as the eyes could see was more mountains, more snow and more clouds.
Their hearts sank. Behind them was a horde of Trolls, Ogres and Goblins. To the west were white Dragons. The Dwarves had to chose to find somewhere to make a new home, or head east to a Realm that was mere rumors, and become forever refugees in a foreign land.

It was here that Harald, kneeling in the snow, on the verge of giving up, with tears of pain and anguish frozen into his beard saw the stone. It was small, made of a type of stone he had never seen, though he surmised it came from the underdark. On it were Dwarvish Runes, faded from the passages of time. Worn and ancient, impossibly ancient...
"Here lies the path to salvation for the lost, and last of the Azure Dwarves. Welcome home."

For a moment Harald's heart stopped. A strange sense of clarity washed over him, mingling with the fear. Looking up at a nearby peak Harald saw the clouds break open. A single beam of light shone down on the rock face, right onto a cave entrance. A hushed awe broke through the other Dwarves that had made it. Only a mere 600 or so of the Cobolon Dwarves were now left.
They could all feel it, like an electric current in the air. Hope.

With renewed vigor the Dwarves marched back down the mountain top, into frozen gullies and dead pine forests, back up through the snow and over rocks. It took a day and a night. Fighting exhaustion, frostbite, and starvation the Dwarves struggled onward. Till the dawn of the following day Harald stood at the entrance to the cave. Right away he could tell that it was not natural. Though only a dwarf could have noticed.
It was clear that the cave had been designed to appear natural. While being nothing of the sort.

Leading his people into the dark they found a cave that offered shelter, a natural spring and even edible fungus grew here. As if made for them. As if someone had prepared this place, for this time just for them.
The Cobolon Dwarves stopped in silence, ate, rested, tended to their wounds. As one they all joined in silent prayers of thanks to Nordi, before setting off down into the depths of the earth.
Another day they trekked. Each time they grew hungry there way another well and more edible fungus just around the next bend. The cave become more and more obvious that it had been crafted by expert hands. Runes, the like the Cobolon Dwarves had never seen before, began appearing on the cave walls. They lit up in a soft gentle blue glow as they passed by, fading once more into darkness as they moved on. Lighting their way gentle down into the depths.

A week after fleeing Cobolon they arrived, stepping out onto a landing that looked down onto the City of Helduum. The great cavern was a hive of activity. The mighty walls of the city stretched across the front facing the Cobolon Dwarves, massive square squat towers dotted along it's mighty line. A castle built into the sides of the cavern wall and towering from floor to ceiling filled the rear of the city, it's own defensive walls around it. Houses lay stacked like toy blocks upon one another or built in towers hewn from the rock walls themselves. Mines opened holes into the walls of the settlement delving deep into the earth. Forges and smelters were scattered about, smoke billowing up to form dark clouds around the top of the cavern.
Crystal lights lit the streets with glowing blue runic light.

As the Cobolon Dwarves stood there in awe a glowing figure floated across the vast distance toward them. Recognition dawned on the Dwarves as they fell to their knees. Their God had saved them. Their God had come to them.
It was Nordi.

Demonic_Spoon
2013-12-01, 02:33 AM
Nordi floats closer, smile barely visible beneath his thick, silver beard, each filament a a soul of one of the forefathers, reborn as part of a god. Empty eyesockets stare sightlessly at the new arrivals, filled with a blue-gold fire. Nordi's entire body seems held together by will alone, a poorly glued together statue of black rock with blue-gold radiance shining through the cracks. And then he speaks, his voice soft, yet reaching every ear of those he is addressing with ease.

"Welcome Home, my Friends, my Family. You are no doubt weary of the travails you have had to endure. But endure them you did. Rest now, recuperate, so that you can grow strong once more, working together as One, so that such a tragedy may never again occur."

Nordi strikes the earth with his hammer, spilling forth many fine ores of iron and mithral, even some adamantium, obviously for the use of his faithful. Then he slowly fades out of view.

So corny. T_T Using Divine Earth Mastery to make some resources for the dwarves if that's okay with the DM, since he complained a booze fountain is too cliche. Anyway, better get out of here before I say something stupid. (My cha is 7)

Alihandros
2013-12-01, 02:45 PM
A short white haired and bearded dwarf approaches the survivors from the local forge. His piercing blue eyes seem to take in the scene grimly and offer a surprising warmth to his approach.

Greetings young-lings and welcome to Helduum the City of Steel and refuge to all dwarvenkind. You all seem exhausted from your long trip, while our lord has provided along the way, there are a few ails that could be cured otherwise or ways. If you would follow me and I will take you to a communal hearth that has been prepared for you, and I will call upon some of our lords clergy to tend to your wounded and sick.

After leading the Shield Dwarves to their hearth, Brokk will then go grab some ale and try to raise some spirits of both kinds. As well as putting a call out to the clerics.

To those we have lost. Vengence shall be theirs against your hated foes. Now drink and be merry for tonite you are safe from the ravages of what has been. Tomorrow we shall forge ahead.

THEChanger
2013-12-03, 12:28 AM
As the glowing spirit of Nordi greeted the refugees, Harald fell to his knees and wept. Against all hope, against all reason, they had found safety. The spirits of old had answered them, and Harald could feel a great weight lift of his shoulders. The dwarves of Azuregard had lost much. The home they had built was gone, lost to the terrifying might of the greenskin horde. In its place, they had found something new. Their oldest ancestor had appeared before them, and welcomed them home.

Helduum. It could be no other. The ancient dwarfholm that legend told the King Rasmus had led the ancestors of those who would become Azuregard away from. The old bridge between Asgard and the Material Plane. Though the truth might be far from the old tales, it was far from anything Harald could have hoped to find. And so Harald wept, for his people were safe at last.

As the elder dwarf drew closer, Harald wiped his tears away. He had shown enough vulnerability for one day. Using his hammer to stand, Harald bowed to the dwarf. "Greetings, noble elder. I am Harald, son of Albreckt, son of Martin, former King of Azuregard. We would be most thankful for your aid. I would be most thankful for your aid. Whom do I address?"

Alihandros
2013-12-03, 11:14 AM
I am Brokk the smith, forger of artifacts, master weapon smith, and lord of the forge young lordling. Come, let us be on our way, get your people settled in comfort.

Warrior Poet
2013-12-03, 04:28 PM
Durin Frostbeard
Helduum - City of Steel

As his god Nordi addressed the newly arrived dwarves and blessed them with a wonderous miracle of precious metals and gems, Durin stood aside in silent worship. Moments such as these were rare, for a Cleric stand in the presence of his deity was something he would cherish forever.

The moment brought him hope, and left him in awe. The feeling would serve to fuel his faith for years to come.

It took Durin a few long moments to clear his mind and once again regain his senses, but his focus was soon enough on this world and the dwarves in need. Having a strong desire for his pipe, he grabbed it out of his belt pouch, lit the sweet smelling leaves inside and took a long pull.

Thick and sweet smelling smoke clung to him as he approached the newly arrived King and the Smith who he was talking to, as the smith finished his own introduction the old Cleric did the same. "I am Durin, Cleric of Nordi. It is my honor to welcome you to Helduum." His face was lined with age, but it was cheerful enough behind his bushy beard.

Tag: THEChanger & Alihandros