PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 improving flight maneuverability

Raezeman
2013-11-28, 05:50 AM
hello there,

i am looking for a way to improve the maneuverability of my raptoran sorcerer without the use of feats or spells. So magic items spring to mind, but a quick glance over the magic item compendium did't reveal anything.

Ways of increasing flight speed without feats or spells are also welcome.

I would maybe settle for a spell if it had long duration (plenty of hours) and is rather low level.

Any suggestions?

AWiz_Abroad
2013-11-28, 05:54 AM
Pectoral of Manuverability (and the greater version), Draconomicon, it increases your manuverability one step(or two).

Raezeman
2013-11-28, 05:59 AM
Pectoral of Manuverability (and the greater version), Draconomicon, it increases your manuverability one step(or two).

yes yes, that's what i'm talking about! Bit out of my price range for the moment, but i'll keep my eye out for that one for sure. Thanks mate

DEMON
2013-11-28, 08:38 AM
2 feats that come to mind:

Improved Maneuverability (Draco) - Improves maneuverability by one category, up to good. Relatively harsh prereqs.

Improved Flight (RotW) - Improves maneuverability by one category, no limit. No prereqs.

Edit: Spot check failed, you said w/out feats, never mind.

There's a couple of spells that improve flight maneuverability but all I know only last for a minute per caster level (Aerial Alacrity, Lord of the Sky, Wings of Air).

MesiDoomstalker
2013-11-28, 09:21 AM
The only spells I know of that increase Maneuverability are either Domain spells or Druid Spells, unfortunately. Having UMD and Scrolls/Wands of them would work if you are willing to fork out the cash for each casting. The spells are Wings of Air and its greater version from the Spell Compendium.

EDIT: There is also the spell Aerial Alacrity, which buffs your flying speed by +30 and ups you +1 maneuverability with some other minor buffs. Its a Domain-only spell from Races of the Wild.

Biotroll
2013-11-28, 10:11 AM
I think most of your options are already covered in this thread. Just in case, there was a Flight Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299600) a while back on this forums. I think it wasn't finished but you can get the important stuff out of it if you need.

Raezeman
2013-11-28, 11:20 AM
I think most of your options are already covered in this thread. Just in case, there was a Flight Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299600) a while back on this forums. I think it wasn't finished but you can get the important stuff out of it if you need.

Yes, thank you, there are some useful things in here.

And the main reason i would not want it through feats or spells is that his focus will lay on the casting, not on the flying, so his feats are reserved for caster feats (metamagic baby!) and i would want to waste a round in combat to improve his flight, while i could just as well use it to cripple/blind/field-control stuff.

Zanos
2013-11-29, 01:06 AM
EDIT: There is also the spell Aerial Alacrity, which buffs your flying speed by +30 and ups you +1 maneuverability with some other minor buffs. Its a Domain-only spell from Races of the Wild.
It's sorc/wiz as well. 90 feet(perfect) fly speed is pretty rad.

Raezeman
2013-11-29, 03:17 AM
problem with aerial alacrity is that the duration is rounds per level, meaning that either my team must have time to prepare for battle (which has rarely occurred so far), or i spend a round in combat to do so, but i'd rather spend that round doing some battle field control/offensive/haste casting.
Also, level 4 has a number of much more awesome spells, so aerial alacrity will never make it on my spells known list, but i will look out for a scroll or 2, so still thanks for the suggestion.

Zanos
2013-11-29, 04:45 AM
problem with aerial alacrity is that the duration is rounds per level, meaning that either my team must have time to prepare for battle (which has rarely occurred so far), or i spend a round in combat to do so, but i'd rather spend that round doing some battle field control/offensive/haste casting.
Also, level 4 has a number of much more awesome spells, so aerial alacrity will never make it on my spells known list, but i will look out for a scroll or 2, so still thanks for the suggestion.
The version i'm looking at in Races of the Wild is 1min/level, and is also a swift action to cast. I don't think there are any reprints.

I do agree that there are better uses for fourth level spell slots, though. If you're pushing into higher levels were fourth level spots aren't as useful offensively, you might consider casting it. Probably still not worth a fourth level spell known, since those are precious and hard to come by.

Rastapopolos
2013-11-29, 04:51 AM
Ask your GM how levitate interacts with flight. Boots of levitation are pretty cheap, and at minimum it will take care of the hover ability and foreward speed limits. A favourable reading might make you weightless a-la no gravity plane, making maneuverability pretty obsolete. You'll also have to ask how it effects your glide ability and the time you can fly for in a day.

eggynack
2013-11-29, 05:00 AM
That is a pretty cool item that I was completely unaware of. Mostly, I can imagine it being useful for getting the average maneuverability druid wild shape forms up to good. It's really the biggest maneuverability barrier, because it grants hover, and thus the ability to cast full round spells unimpeded. Legendary eagle in particular might go from reasonably good to excellent, with its ridiculous base AC, initiative, and speed. The greater version seems ridiculously overpriced, but you can't win them all.

Raezeman
2013-11-29, 05:14 AM
The version i'm looking at in Races of the Wild is 1min/level, and is also a swift action to cast. I don't think there are any reprints.

I do agree that there are better uses for fourth level spell slots, though. If you're pushing into higher levels were fourth level spots aren't as useful offensively, you might consider casting it. Probably still not worth a fourth level spell known, since those are precious and hard to come by.

Apparently, i am an idiot who can't have read spell descriptions right... Anyway, that swift action makes it a lot more interesting. and yeah, like you said, there are plenty lv 4 spells that still have their better uses at higher level.

shaikujin
2013-11-29, 05:43 AM
A&EG lists the cost of having Items provide feats.
It's 5,000 gp (per another 5,000 gp for each prereq that feat has).

If custom items are fine in your game, you can use this to add the Improved Flight feat to a Greater Pectoral of Manuverability. That'll grant you a 3 step increase.

Or if you plan to get the lesser one first due to cost reasons, put the feat on another item. You could for example, have a helm that has a vertical fin. While you fluff the Pectoral to look like a rocket jetpack. Rocketeer!