PDA

View Full Version : Need Warblading Advise

Houndour
2013-11-28, 10:27 AM
Ok so I am doing a build that is gestalt
It is Swashbuckler 3/Warblade 2//Factotum 5
But I have no idea what schools to focus on and what stances or maneuvers to select that would best fit the theme.

I would be using two Kukri in two weapon fighting both with +1 keen attacked for minor Crit Fishing style.

Can anyone help?

Also.. with the initiator level thing do I get access to higher level maneuvers then a lvl 2 would normally get?

Darrin
2013-11-28, 11:23 AM
I would be using two Kukri in two weapon fighting both with +1 keen attacked for minor Crit Fishing style.

For TWF, you need boosts and counters more than you need strikes (because you want to full attack every round if possible). Your primary disciplines will probably be Tiger Claw and Diamond Mind with a smattering of Iron Heart and White Raven.

Wolf Fang Strike, Sudden Leap, and Moment of Perfect Mind are good to start with. For stances, lots of people love Blood in the Water for crit-fishing but I personally prefer Punishing Stance (you'll get a lot more consistent damage out of it). For your Warblade 2 maneuver, I'm a big fan of Mountain Hammer, but Wall of Blades is better for TWF.

Also.. with the initiator level thing do I get access to higher level maneuvers then a lvl 2 would normally get?

I don't know if there are any clear guidelines about how Initiator Levels interact with Gestalt rules. You'll have to ask the DM to clarify. If both sides of the gestalt count towards IL, then 9th level maneuvers will be available at a very low ECL. You may need to specify one "half" of the gestalt contributes to IL, and the other half doesn't.

Houndour
2013-11-28, 11:29 AM
I was thinking only the half with Warblade would count.
Thanks for the suggestions. So it would be a 5th level character taking it. So it would be either 2 or 3 right? I mean the level of it at 3rd level I would have access to second level right?

Xerlith
2013-11-28, 11:37 AM
Initiator level is calculated by this formula:
1/2*(Non-IL HD) + IL HD)

IL - Initiator Level

A Swash3/Warblade2 has Initiator Level of 1/2*3 + 2= 3. So you get 2nd level maneuvers.

Houndour
2013-11-28, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the information I couldn't recall the formula.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-11-28, 11:58 AM
I would suggest dipping a level or two into Bloodclaw master after Factotum 8 (for cunning surge obviously), the TWF penalty reduction and full STR will help you a lot.

Edit: I would suggest to get Wall of Blades ASAP and get mountain hammer via feat or item, particularly if he is using punishing stance, at low levels that -2 AC can hurt a lot and remember you can use WoB against any attack roll, so it works against touch spells, traps, etc. pretty useful IMO.

Houndour
2013-11-28, 12:12 PM
Hmm that does look good but the -2 is never too bad for me.
However I am confused it says Tiger Claw weapons or Daggers. What are Tiger Claw weapons?
I know the weapon of the school is the Kukri but what else?
Edit: Also at level 2 I can know 4 Maneuvers and ready 3 so I could technically get them both.

Subaru Kujo
2013-11-28, 12:16 PM
Hmm that does look good but the -2 is never too bad for me.
However I am confused it says Tiger Claw weapons or Daggers. What are Tiger Claw weapons?
I know the weapon of the school is the Kukri but what else?
Edit: Also at level 2 I can know 4 Maneuvers and ready 3 so I could technically get them both.

Tiger Claw Favored Weapons are the kukri, kama, handaxe, claw, greataxe, and unarmed strike.

Andezzar
2013-11-28, 12:23 PM
and remember you can use WoB against any attack roll, so it works against touch spells, traps, etc. pretty useful IMO.Any melee attack.

In the introduction for each discipline the favored weapons are mentioned. For Tiger Claw those are kukri, kama, handaxe, claw, greataxe, and unarmed strike.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-11-28, 12:30 PM
Even if the -2 isn't affecting you that much, getting full strength to off-side weapons can be really useful, but I noticed that you are probably going with a Dex/int focus so it may not be that useful.

You could drop the Crit focus get daggers and go Dex/str/int if you drop a couple of feats into getting Shadow Blade and a shadow hand stance.

Dropping a level of Factotum for a level of Swordsage kills two birds with one stone, something like:

Swashbuckler 1//Factotum 1 Weapon Finese, Two weapon fighting, font of Inspiration (if human)
Swashbuckler 2//Factotum 2
Swashbuckler 3//Factotum 3 Font of Inspiration #2
Warblade 1// Facototum 4 Maneuvers: Wolf Fang Strike, Moment of the Perfect Mind, Sudden Leap Stance: Punishing Stance
Warblade 2// Swordsage 1 Warblade Maneuvers: Wall of Blades. Swordsage Maneuvers: Distracting Ember, Flashing Sun, Emerald Razor, Cloak of Deception, Shadow Jaunt & Mountain Hammer Stance: Child of Shadows Weapon Focus (Shadow Hand weapons)

At level 6 pick Shadow Blade and enjoy adding Str & Dex to damage when using daggers.

Edit:

Any melee attack.

In the introduction for each discipline the favored weapons are mentioned. For Tiger Claw those are kukri, kama, handaxe, claw, greataxe, and unarmed strike.

It is weird cause my copy of ToB says "When an enemy makes a melee or ranged attack against you" in Wall of Blades entry.

Andezzar
2013-11-28, 12:34 PM
It is weird cause my copy of ToB says "When an enemy makes a melee or ranged attack against you" in Wall of Blades entry.You are right of course. Could have sworn it was melee only. My warblade just got better.

UmpteenthDoctor
2013-11-28, 12:39 PM
This sounds like an awesome build. I get the crit fisher for kukri though especially with int to damage from swash and of course strength and possibly iaijutsu damage.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-11-28, 12:39 PM
I had a silly build that abuses that and the Spell reflection ACF to essentially play dead's man volley.:smallbiggrin:

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/tennis-boss2_1548.jpg
It is a shame that you can't get it on a full BAB build because that plus Eternal Blade would be perfect for Link

Darrin
2013-11-28, 01:21 PM
It is a shame that you can't get it on a full BAB build because that plus Eternal Blade would be perfect for Link

Would Ranger 9/Warblade 1/Eternal Blade 10 work?

Dusk Eclipse
2013-11-28, 01:26 PM
Iirc Spell reflection was rogue only.

Darrin
2013-11-28, 03:12 PM
Iirc Spell reflection was rogue only.

Nope. 2nd (monk or rogue), 5th (scout), or 9th (ranger).

Dusk Eclipse
2013-11-28, 03:18 PM
Nice, then yes Ranger 9/Warblade 1/Eternal blade works, but it does trades a lot of Initiator levels.

MirddinEmris
2013-11-28, 10:23 PM
You are Int-focused character, so Knowledge Devotion is a must, it'll reduce penalties on TWF and adds extra damage.