PDA

View Full Version : Duskblade, with a side of Illusionist (help)

Xhosant
2013-11-28, 10:40 AM
So, I've been working on a Duskblade character (d'oh) but wanted to equip him with some basic illusions. Figments and Glamers, only, in fact. The kind of low-level illusions that allow for "plot twists".

Now, the thing is, I'm not really willing to limit the Duskblade's progression, at least not considerably. So, can anyone think of any means by which to get my hands on an illusion spell list as a duskblade? Anything goes, from magic items to weird bloodlines to substitution levels and racials.

Also, which spells would you consider the "essential" for a side of illusionist?

Snowbluff
2013-11-28, 10:43 AM
Duskblade1/Beguiler1 with Versatile Spellcaster.

EDIT: Magical Training with Versatile Spellcaster.

nedz
2013-11-28, 10:48 AM
Gnome for racial SLAs

or

Arcane Disciple (Trickery), Arcane Disciple (Illusion), etc.

Xhosant
2013-11-28, 12:04 PM
Duskblade1/Beguiler1 with Versatile Spellcaster.

EDIT: Magical Training with Versatile Spellcaster.

Nice and compact, but a little limited in scope.

Gnome for racial SLAs

or

Arcane Disciple (Trickery), Arcane Disciple (Illusion), etc.

SLAs with a level of wizard(illusionist) i presume? The Arcane disciples would be ideal if not for the very limited casts/day. Can i turn high-level spell-prepping in for lower as normal?

Also, what of magic items offering casts? And any "essential" spells?

nedz
2013-11-28, 12:44 PM
SLAs with a level of wizard(illusionist) i presume? The Arcane disciples would be ideal if not for the very limited casts/day. Can i turn high-level spell-prepping in for lower as normal?

Level of Wizard is not required for Gnome racial SLAs. There is the Natural Trickster feat which can add more, but it's fairly poor.

Arcane Disciple is not so good for Duskblades because of their slow spell progression, but it does open up wand usage etc.

I'm not entirely sure what your last question means, but I suspect that the rules are silent on this.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-11-28, 12:48 PM
Nice and compact, but a little limited in scope.

Not really, Beguilers get their whole Spell list at level 1 and Versatile spell caster allows you to cast any spell you know so a 1 level dip in beguiler, Warmage or Dread Necro gets you the whole deal. You essentially reduce your spell slots by half, though Duskblades normally don't have problem with spell slots so it shouldn't be a problem.

Xhosant
2013-11-28, 12:59 PM
Level of Wizard is not required for Gnome racial SLAs. There is the Natural Trickster feat which can add more, but it's fairly poor.

Where should I look for those racial SLAs? only ones I found were "races of stone", which is Gnome Illusionist substitution.

I'm not entirely sure what your last question means, but I suspect that the rules are silent on this.

I mean to say a) Any items (such as staff or whatever) that packs a bunch of illusion tricks in an as easy-to-use package as possible?

b) What spells does the aspiring illusionist need to pack, minimum? For a small list of possible exploits:

Disguise the state of a room with another, "projected" room.
Fake wounds or dismemberment.
Disguise himself or another (even by illusion overlapping the person, if needed)

And all that as subtly as possible (concealable components or silent/still).

Not really, Beguilers get their whole Spell list at level 1 and Versatile spell caster allows you to cast any spell you know so a 1 level dip in beguiler, Warmage or Dread Necro gets you the whole deal. You essentially reduce your spell slots by half, though Duskblades normally don't have problem with spell slots so it shouldn't be a problem.

If i read that correctly, it means that, though borderline cheesy, I learn beguiler's spells through my Duskblade spell progression, and can use Versatile Spellcaster to cast them off of the Duskblade's alotment at an increased cost. is that correct?

Dusk Eclipse
2013-11-28, 01:04 PM
First no, it is not borderline cheesy; it is full blown mature cheddar :smalltongue:, but hey you wanted options.:smalltongue:

And let me try to explain as clear as I can:

Beguilers get their full list of spells at level 1.
You choose your Duskblade from the Duskblade spell list as normal.
This means that you have two list of spells known, the whole beguiler list and the Duskblade list.
Versatile Spellcaster allows you to cast any spell you know by spending two lower level spell slots. The thing is that it doesn't mentions they need to come from the same list. So you can spend 2 level 1 Duskblade spells to cast a level 2 spell from the beguiler's list.

Urpriest
2013-11-28, 01:42 PM
Where should I look for those racial SLAs? only ones I found were "races of stone", which is Gnome Illusionist substitution.

SLA means Spell-like Ability, not Alternate Class Feature.

Xhosant
2013-11-28, 01:46 PM
SLA means Spell-like Ability, not Alternate Class Feature.

...and now i feel deeply dumb, with your avatar's look not helping in the slightest.