PDA

View Full Version : Custom magic item - pricing and function doublecheck requested

Lilapop
2013-11-28, 12:24 PM
Looking at equipment for a TWF-based build, I got interested in the pricing of the Tooth of Leraje (Tome of Magic), and ways around its restriction to one single weapon.
I calculated the price of a "ring of greater magic weapon (CL 20) 1/day", which seems to be exactly the same as the tooth itself: 21600 gp. Now, I could just double the number of charges on the ring, but didn't they add some metamagic feat that increases the number of affected targets? Maybe that one increases the price by less than 100%!

The spell:
Greater magic weapon, chained
Spell level: Sor/Wiz 3+3
Caster level: 20
Targets: One manufactured weapon or unarmed strike, and 20 more, none of which may be further away from the initial weapon than 30 feet
Duration: 20 hours
Effect: The affected weapons' enhancement bonus is increased to +5.
The item:
Ring of chained Greater magic weapon
Activation: 1 standard action
Effect: Once per day, casts Greater magic weapon (chained) on a touched weapon.
Spell level * Caster level * 1800 * charges per day/5 =
3+3 * 20 *1800 * 1/5 =
6 * 20 * 1800 * 1/5 =
43200 gp
Hum. If I didn't break something on the way, you could buff up 21 weapons for the price of two Teeth and the time it takes to put that ring on and switch it out for your main ring again every morning. But I possibly did break everything, as this seems just too good to be true...

Lilapop
2013-11-30, 09:09 AM
Do I have to interpret the lack of responses as "nothing botched to be found"?

Jeff the Green
2013-11-30, 09:30 AM
No, this is right (though it should be noted that the price for the tooth is actually calculated 3*20*1800*0.2*2*0.5, with the x2 being for no slot limitation and the x0.5 being for Leraje's influence). However, remember that this is all based on magic item pricing guidelines. Given that this proposed ring is very similar to twenty-one of another item that would cost a total of more than ten times as much and couldn't be used by the same person and has additional non-trivial restrictions and can't be switched out, so I don't think many DMs are going to be okay with this.