PDA

View Full Version : Eldritch Essence and Eldritch Claws

Dr. Cliché
2013-11-28, 02:27 PM
If a Warlock uses the Eldritch Claws feat, can he imbue the claws with an Eldritch Essence invocation?

phlidwsn
2013-12-02, 11:33 AM
No because the claws mechanically are normal natural claw attacks with a damage of unarmed + Eldritch Blast damage. Attacking with the claws is not attacking with Eldritch Blast ability.

Dr. Cliché
2013-12-02, 11:39 AM
No because the claws mechanically are normal natural claw attacks with a damage of unarmed + Eldritch Blast damage. Attacking with the claws is not attacking with Eldritch Blast ability.

Ok, that's fine.

As a question, do the claws still deal untyped magic damage (and so would my opponents get SR against them), or does the damage become physical?

Urpriest
2013-12-02, 03:28 PM
Ok, that's fine.

As a question, do the claws still deal untyped magic damage (and so would my opponents get SR against them), or does the damage become physical?

There's no such thing as "magic damage", and the damage type something deals has nothing to do with whether it offers SR. Since Eldritch Claws don't specify that they offer SR, they shouldn't.

bekeleven
2013-12-02, 05:32 PM
There's no such thing as "magic damage", and the damage type something deals has nothing to do with whether it offers SR. Since Eldritch Claws don't specify that they offer SR, they shouldn't.

I thought you were wrong, but then read the feat. It specifies that eldritch claws deals "edritch blast damage," not that it behaves like an eldritch blast. The damage isn't what people SR against, they SR against the blast itself.

phlidwsn
2013-12-03, 10:46 AM
Ok, that's fine.

Physical damage like any other set of claws. They just deal lots of damage dice. Also note that they are no longer touch attacks, just regular natural weapon attacks. If you want to melee and keep touch attack, iteratives, and essences take a look at the eldritch glaive invocation.

Edit: for all your melee warlock goodness head over to Shinken's Guide to Melee Warlocks (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159708)

Ruethgar
2013-12-03, 12:04 PM
Mmmm Beast Strike. Had to say it, also (Improved)Rapid Strike. *Drool* So much death!