PDA

View Full Version : Favored Soul Help for a new player & I need a new character.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-11-28, 03:16 PM
We got a new player for our 3.5 campaign and since I'm the best optimizer in my group I was tasked to build his character for him, I proposed him several classes and he settled over Favored Soul, since he really liked the idea being the chosen one of a god, the problem is that I don't really know how to build one, so any help or suggestions are welcomed.

The only restrictions is that it needs to be human and using these (rolled) stats: 16, 12, 14, 12, 17, 10 (really good luck for a beginner), any non-setting specific deity are OK. The player mentioned he wanted to go holy warrior-esque, the DM was also generous and ruled that FS can select charisma or wisdom for their casting stat.

The rest of the party is a Human Warblade, a Dread Necro and my cleric, which is why I need a new character since I was intending to play a militant cleric of Xan Yae, and I don't really want to step into the new guy's toes. So considering the party makeup what would you recommend? At a glance we are lacking a skill monkey and a proper utility caster so I was thinking some sort of semi-skillful gish could be ok. On the other hand we might also need a healer of some sort because I doubt the new guy wants to go heal bot.

Sian
2013-11-28, 03:32 PM
as for how FS is going to be set up ... ehh ...

But a need for Skillmonkey + Utility casting screams Beguiler (PHB2 in case) so thats probably a good way to look.

Load up on UMD and talk the group into invest in a Wand of Cure * (depends on level) for you or the FS to run around with, and only combat heal when strictly needed

Toliudar
2013-11-28, 04:20 PM
If it's a new player, then having a lot of options is not so important. I'm assuming that you're looking at a low level campaign. If you give them one good buff to cast at the start of the fight, one healing spell and one or two utility powers, it'll give them a good intro to the spell system. Put the 17 in strength, tell them to swing the morningstar with both hands, and call you in the morning.

Of course, if you're playing higher level, there are more options, but those can get pretty complicated and overwhelming pretty fast.

Faily
2013-11-28, 04:26 PM
Example for Favored Soul:

Holy Warrior of Heironeous

STR 16
DEX 12
CON 14
INT 10
WIS 12
CHA 17

If possible, check if GM is willing to give Knowledge: Religion rather than Knowledge: Arcana. It can open up for possible Divine-prestige classes.
Concentration 4, Diplomacy 4, Knowledge: Religion 4.

Spells (assuming you begin at first level):
0- Light, Detect Magic, Cure Minor Wounds, Create Water.
1- Shield of Faith, Bless, Cure Light Wounds.

While he's not going to be a heal-bot, knowing the Cure-spells at the lowest levels will save lives and save you trouble from resting alot to recover HP. His spells should remained focused on buffs. As a follower of Heironeous, the sword-and-board option seems most likely (longsword and buckler/shield), so he can eventually learn Channeled Divine Shield (PHB2). Spells like Divine Favor, Divine Power, Bull's Strength, Bear's Endurance, Elation will support him in battle. For utility, he should pick up Freedom of Movement, Deathward and Resist Energy. If he goes into Fist of Raziel, he will have continual Magic Circle Against Evil, so learning that spell or Protection from Evil won't be nescessary, but otherwise, I recommend picking up one of them to help against enemy mind-control.

Feats:
For first level, I suggest Heavy Armor Proficiency as one of them (as FS only get Light and Medium). If he wants a prestige class, Fist of Raziel could fit nicely into the Holy Warrior-ideal, if the GM allows BoED. He will lose 1 caster level, but will have full BAB after that and some useful abilities. As he's new, I would not give him anything that is too heavily-optimized, but rather something that leaves some things up to him to decide.
Other feats to consider could either be Luck of Heroes, or Mind Over Body (Charisma). On progression, if the Fist of Raziel is ok, pick up Power Attack, and from there learn Extend Spell and possibly Still Spell (for when you really need that Freedom of Movement when trapped in an area of Black Tentacles). Improved Toughness is an ok feat to consider as he will have d8-HD along the way.

It's not an optimized finished character, but it's what I would suggest for a beginner while sticking with the idea he had. I personally find Favored Soul to work best as the Holy Warrior-type from my own experience. :)

Dusk Eclipse
2013-11-28, 05:09 PM
as for how FS is going to be set up ... ehh ...

But a need for Skillmonkey + Utility casting screams Beguiler (PHB2 in case) so thats probably a good way to look.

Load up on UMD and talk the group into invest in a Wand of Cure * (depends on level) for you or the FS to run around with, and only combat heal when strictly needed

I'm not really that fond of the Beguiler, but yeah I admit it would be a good choice.

If it's a new player, then having a lot of options is not so important. I'm assuming that you're looking at a low level campaign. If you give them one good buff to cast at the start of the fight, one healing spell and one or two utility powers, it'll give them a good intro to the spell system. Put the 17 in strength, tell them to swing the morningstar with both hands, and call you in the morning.

Of course, if you're playing higher level, there are more options, but those can get pretty complicated and overwhelming pretty fast.

I knew I'd forgotten something, yeah we are starting at level 1.

Example for Favored Soul:

Holy Warrior of Heironeous

STR 16
DEX 12
CON 14
INT 10
WIS 12
CHA 17

If possible, check if GM is willing to give Knowledge: Religion rather than Knowledge: Arcana. It can open up for possible Divine-prestige classes.
Concentration 4, Diplomacy 4, Knowledge: Religion 4.

Spells (assuming you begin at first level):
0- Light, Detect Magic, Cure Minor Wounds, Create Water.
1- Shield of Faith, Bless, Cure Light Wounds.

While he's not going to be a heal-bot, knowing the Cure-spells at the lowest levels will save lives and save you trouble from resting alot to recover HP. His spells should remained focused on buffs. As a follower of Heironeous, the sword-and-board option seems most likely (longsword and buckler/shield), so he can eventually learn Channeled Divine Shield (PHB2). Spells like Divine Favor, Divine Power, Bull's Strength, Bear's Endurance, Elation will support him in battle. For utility, he should pick up Freedom of Movement, Deathward and Resist Energy. If he goes into Fist of Raziel, he will have continual Magic Circle Against Evil, so learning that spell or Protection from Evil won't be nescessary, but otherwise, I recommend picking up one of them to help against enemy mind-control.

Feats:
For first level, I suggest Heavy Armor Proficiency as one of them (as FS only get Light and Medium). If he wants a prestige class, Fist of Raziel could fit nicely into the Holy Warrior-ideal, if the GM allows BoED. He will lose 1 caster level, but will have full BAB after that and some useful abilities. As he's new, I would not give him anything that is too heavily-optimized, but rather something that leaves some things up to him to decide.
Other feats to consider could either be Luck of Heroes, or Mind Over Body (Charisma). On progression, if the Fist of Raziel is ok, pick up Power Attack, and from there learn Extend Spell and possibly Still Spell (for when you really need that Freedom of Movement when trapped in an area of Black Tentacles). Improved Toughness is an ok feat to consider as he will have d8-HD along the way.

It's not an optimized finished character, but it's what I would suggest for a beginner while sticking with the idea he had. I personally find Favored Soul to work best as the Holy Warrior-type from my own experience. :)
Wow, thank you. That is awesome, I may change the god but everything else is just perfect

Faily
2013-11-28, 05:17 PM
Glad to be of help. :) From my own experience, it's good not to overload new players too much with "omg super-builds" as it often gives them little room to pick what they want to do.

You could probably do Kord as the patron-god if you want a 2-hander, though his more chaotic-nature would probably not fit too well with the Fist of Raziel-class' need for Lawful Good, if that route is desired. :) I'm sure there are other prestige classes to consider once you have a God in mind. Faiths & Pantheons (Forgotten Realms) might have some of interest.