PDA

View Full Version : Does Weapon Focus(Ray) and Point Blank Shot stack?

Gamereaper
2013-11-28, 04:38 PM
Does Weapon Focus(Ray) and Point Blank Shot stack within 30 feet?

What other combinations work nicely for increasing Ranged Touch?

What penalties do I get towards firing a ray spell in point blank without Point Blank Shot?

BWR
2013-11-28, 04:55 PM
1. Yes.
2. Anything that increases your attack bonus. Precise Shot is nice if you are firing into melee a lot, but between touch ACs and the far more useful feats you can use, e.g. metamagic, you're better off using other means of increasing your attack bonus. True Strike spell, BAB, higher Dex, reducing the target's AC, being invisible; the list goes on.
3. none.

Gamereaper
2013-11-28, 05:17 PM
So if I'm standing right next to someone, I can still fire rays?

Kamai
2013-11-28, 05:27 PM
So if I'm standing right next to someone, I can still fire rays?

You can, but you're subject to (I believe) 2 attacks of opportunity, if they have combat reflexes. One for spellcasting (which can be negated by defensively casting), and one for making a ranged attack.

HaikenEdge
2013-11-28, 05:47 PM
You can, but you're subject to (I believe) 2 attacks of opportunity, if they have combat reflexes. One for spellcasting (which can be negated by defensively casting), and one for making a ranged attack.

Which can be negated with something like Close Combat Shot.

Gamereaper
2013-11-28, 10:15 PM

This feat is exactly what I was looking for. Can I have the details for that feat, I can't find them.

MirddinEmris
2013-11-28, 10:43 PM
Close Combat Shot is not a feat, but a class feature of Order of Bow Initiate PrC. Otherwise, you should use this (http://dndtools.eu/) resource for searching feats/classes/spells/etc from DnD 3.5

Gamereaper
2013-11-28, 11:41 PM
I'm a sorcerer, is there anything that could help me in melee range casting ray spells?

I don't want to cornered and beaten like a pinata. (Laughing Face)

Gamereaper
2013-11-28, 11:42 PM

How is that relevant for a ray shooting spell caster?

Gamereaper
2013-11-28, 11:43 PM
Close Combat Shot is not a feat, but a class feature of Order of Bow Initiate PrC. Otherwise, you should use this (http://dndtools.eu/) resource for searching feats/classes/spells/etc from DnD 3.5

Thanks, but I already use dndtools. (Smiley Face)

HaikenEdge
2013-11-29, 12:08 AM
How is that relevant for a ray shooting spell caster?

The text for Close Combat Shot (emphasis mine):

At 2nd level, an initiate can attack with a ranged weapon while in a threatened square and not provoke an attack of opportunity.

My understanding is that a ray is still a ranged weapon, meaning something like Close Combat Shot would negate the AoO provoked making a ranged attack while threatened by an enemy in melee.

Spuddles
2013-11-29, 12:28 AM
I'm a sorcerer, is there anything that could help me in melee range casting ray spells?

Sure; just dont get into melee. Be invisible, flying, or lay down some battlefield control, like black tentacles.

You can also cast a non-ray spell while in melee using the casting defensively rules.

Psyren
2013-11-29, 01:08 AM
If you do want it in feat form, PF has Point Blank Master (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/point-blank-master-combat).

Phaederkiel
2013-11-29, 06:47 AM
there is a feat called "ranged recall", which is quite nice if you cannot allow your rays to miss.

Jgosse
2013-11-29, 07:37 AM
get shield proficiency, pick up a mithril buckler and shield casting from ROS. Boom any spell no AOO and you get shield bonus.

Gamereaper
2013-11-29, 09:28 AM
get shield proficiency, pick up a mithril buckler and shield casting from ROS. Boom any spell no AOO and you get shield bonus.

You don't need a proficiency with a mithral buckler, do you?

Regardless, I have it already.

Vortenger
2013-11-29, 12:17 PM
Unless the blaggard has reach and you let yourself be in a terrible tactical location, the usual "I 5-foot shift away and cast (whatever)!" covers 90% of your bases

Studoku
2013-11-29, 12:35 PM
It needs to be a mithril light shield- a buckler isn't enough for Shielded Casting. Not that this is an issue unless you need both hands. It also has a couple of prereqs which are a little annoying.

ericgrau
2013-11-29, 12:48 PM

24 hours of false life and 24 hours of mage armor (or greater mage armor) helps a lot. A lesser rod of extend spell helps with hour/level buffs in general.

Don't forget precise shot if you're in a party. I'd take that before weapon focus. I might not ever take weapon focus if your feats are limited, because by the time you hit your level 9 or 12ish feat your BAB is high enough that you don't really need it anymore. Halfling or whisper gnome can give you another +2 to hit (+1 from size, +1 from dex).

Jgosse
2013-11-29, 12:49 PM
It needs to be a mithril light shield- a buckler isn't enough for Shielded Casting. Not that this is an issue unless you need both hands. It also has a couple of prereqs which are a little annoying.

I never noticed that.