PDA

View Full Version : What's a spellcasting class? [3.5 RAW]

TuggyNE
2013-11-28, 05:56 PM
So I'm curious, based on some RAW disputes, what exactly defines a spellcasting class. Is it any class that gives the "special knowledge of spellcasting" needed to activate spell trigger items like wands? Is it any class that has granted spells on at least one level so far taken? Or what?

More to the point, is there anything resembling actual RAW on this, or are we stuck with speculation and assumptions?

HaikenEdge
2013-11-28, 05:58 PM
I think you can pretty safely say any class with a "caster level" can be called a spellcasting class, regardless of whether they cast actual spells or not.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-11-28, 06:04 PM
This is another one of those terms the designers thought would be self evident and, consequently, neglected to give a specific, in-game definition.

The most likely correct answer, IMO, is any class that grants a caster level and the ability to cast spells or named spell like abilities (invocations a la warlock and DFA for example).

Disclaimer: the above is RAI because there is no RAW.

Yuki Akuma
2013-11-28, 06:05 PM
Any class with the "Spellcasting" class feature? Maybe?

Flickerdart
2013-11-28, 06:20 PM
I'm not really sure that Curmudgeon's stance (that Ranger becomes a spellcasting class at level 4) makes sense. While the ranger certainly becomes a spellcasting character at that level, the capability to cast spells is included in the Ranger class, and therefore Ranger is a spellcasting class. The first three levels of Ranger are still part of the class.

TuggyNE
2013-11-28, 06:30 PM
I think you can pretty safely say any class with a "caster level" can be called a spellcasting class, regardless of whether they cast actual spells or not.

That doesn't help us much, since Rangers and Paladins have no CL until level 4.

This is another one of those terms the designers thought would be self evident and, consequently, neglected to give a specific, in-game definition.

The most likely correct answer, IMO, is any class that grants a caster level and the ability to cast spells or named spell like abilities (invocations a la warlock and DFA for example).

Hmm. That could be.

Disclaimer: the above is RAI because there is no RAW.

That's kind of what I'm thinking of posting, actually. "A1040 correction: RAW is unclear and undefined."

Any class with the "Spellcasting" class feature? Maybe?
I'm not really sure that Curmudgeon's stance (that Ranger becomes a spellcasting class at level 4) makes sense. While the ranger certainly becomes a spellcasting character at that level, the capability to cast spells is included in the Ranger class, and therefore Ranger is a spellcasting class. The first three levels of Ranger are still part of the class.

Yeah, the "it's a non-spellcasting class until it's a spellcasting class" thing seems pretty strange. There's only one class there, and nothing that directly says the class has that weird dual identity.