PDA

View Full Version : For Asgard! IC

horus42
2013-11-28, 06:15 PM
The palace of the Asgardian king is truly magnificent. It has stood for thousands of years, built by the first king, Buri, and is now home to his son, Borr. Columns of gold line the wide corridors leading to the throne room, and tapestries hang on the walls.

Inside the throne room sits King Borr, who has summoned you all here, along with the one-handed Commander Tyr, captain of Borr's royal guard. A young boy with short, auburn hair sits on Borr's lap, a wide smile on his face.

As you enter, Borr speaks, looking down at the boy. "Run along now, Odin. Your father has work to be done. Find your mother and brothers."

As Odin goes off, Borr turns his gaze to you. "Excellent, you've arrived just in time. As I'm sure you're aware, the Dark Elves of Svartalfheim are making their move on the rest of the Nine Realms. Just a few days ago, they began a full-scale invasion of Vanaheim. As the Vanir are our greatest allies, the majority of Asgard's forces are being sent to aid them. But this is not where I am sending you four."

He pauses, and stands from his throne, then starts walking towards you. "I will allow Tyr to explain."

Tyr clears his throat, and speaks in a gruff, though not overly harsh voice. "Malekith is operating under faulty information. He believes that King Borr has given the Tesseract to the humans, so that they can defend themselves should Asgard fall. This is obviously not true, as the cube remains within our weapons vault. But a single ship has been dispatched to Midgard, in order to search for it. We believe that the Dark Elves could lay waste to the entire planet if left unchecked in their search. We are to meet again at the Bifrost, where lady Hildr will send us to a Midgardian city called Tønsberg. There, we shall dispatch of the Svartalfar, before returning to Asgard." He pauses and looks to each of you. "Any questions?"

Green Bean
2013-11-29, 01:39 PM
Upon entering the throne room, Brynja knelt before King Borr before rising to listen. Kingship aside, Borr had been one of the few Asgardians to show her respect, and she returned the favour gladly.

She listened carefully to Tyr, and inclined her head in acknolwedgement. "It will be done."

Glarx
2013-11-29, 06:32 PM
The beautiful Haema followed Brynja's example, kneeling before the king. When Tyr spoke, Haema's eyes followed the young Odin out of the room. The idea of going to Midgard was... interesting. The opportunity to interact with the primitive humans was simply too great to pass up. And it was a royal decree, it wasn't like Haema had a choice in the matter.

"So then, we've deceived the Dark Elves into heading to Midgard, and now we have to spring the trap? Hmm... I understand fully why Brynja and Hermod would be selected for this mission, as both are exquisite fighters, but Commander Tyr -- I'm merely mouthy, a talker. Won't I merely be a burden for these two fine warriors?"

Wasn't Tønsberg established in the 1100s? :smallconfused: I thought the war against the Dark Elves was ~5,000 years prior to the Marvel movie Thor: the Dark World.

josienoms
2013-11-29, 09:54 PM
Hermod listens carefully to the words of his king, and those of Commander Tyr. He stands slightly behind the rest of the group, not wanting to be the center of attention. He's a follower by nature, not a leader, after all.

Eventually, he does speak up. "Perhaps, lady Haema, King Borr expects you to aid the humans in another way. Though I do not presume to know his will, the Midgardians will no doubt be frightened. They will need a strong presence to calm them, in order to prevent mass panic and chaos."

horus42
2013-11-29, 11:35 PM
Borr nods thoughtfully as you all speak, before answering. "Young Hermod has the gist of it, Lady Haema. I do not expect you to directly fight, unless you should choose to. I would rather you organize the survivors, and keep them in reign. The humans will need assurance that their gods have not abandoned them, and I believe you are right for the task." He begins to pace back and forth in front of his throne. "I would urge that you hurry. Our intelligence reports that the Dark Elf ship will be arriving at any minute. i would prefer you arrive there first."

The earliest reference to Tønsberg is from 1130, which claims it was founded around 871. This is more of a reference to the first Thor film, as it was where the Jotuns began their invasion, and to Captain America, since it's where Odin hides the Tesseract. The city shouldn't technically exist at this point, you're right about that.

Glarx
2013-11-29, 11:40 PM
Haema nodded, bowing to her king again before looking to Commander Tyr. "After you, Commander. To the Bifrost?"

josienoms
2013-11-30, 02:07 PM
Hermod bowed his head slightly in deference to his King. "It will be done, my Lord." He follows Commander Tyr out of the palace, going along with the others to the Bifrost.

horus42
2013-11-30, 03:54 PM
Tyr leads the three of you out of the palace, and through the streets of Asgard's capital city. Even though you've all been here before, the beauty of the city never ceases to amaze, and is truly deserving of the name "The Realm Eternal".

The people on the streets let you pass without incident, though many give Brynja odd stares. Though she should be used to it by now, most Asgardians are unused to the sight of a Frost Giant, after all.

Eventually, you reach the bridge itself. The multicolored crystal stretches out over the sea for miles. Horses are provided to make the journey across the bridge faster, until you reach the main dome of the Bifrost.

Inside, the Lady Hidlr is waiting for you. "I have been expecting you all, are you prepared to make your journey to Midgard? You should be arriving in time, as far as my eyes can see, the Dark Elves have not yet reached the city." She walks to the raised dais in the center of the room, and draws her large broadsword. As Hidlr slides the blade into the dais, electricity arcs from the sword to the roof of the dome, forming the vague shape of a tree. The dome begins to spin rapidly as the Bifrost activates. "Good luck to you all. Return safely." She looks to Hermod and smiles. "I will be watching over you."

Tyr nods and thanks the Guardian, then steps into the swirling vortex of kaleidoscopic colors, vanishing from sight.

Glarx
2013-11-30, 04:54 PM
The sights were always a spectacle. Haema, who had grown up in Asgard, adored the architecture of the city. The subtle civic planning. The defenses, always manned but never needed. It was a beautiful city, full of (generally) beautiful people. The hustle towards the Bifrost saw Haema take off her helmet completely, clutching it against the side of her waist while they moved through the area. Her brunette locks caught the Asgardian breeze on the way there, and a pang of homesickness clutched as her heart. Haema pushed such thoughts down. There was a whole race of people who needed her guidance. Her guidance. She was to keep the humans safe, by royal decree. Such a charge could have no interference, especially from something so rudimentary as homesickness.

As they approached the Observatory, Haema couldn't help but marvel at the way the Bifrost reacted to each step. It was an extraordinary artifact. And the dome at the end, wherein Hermod's mother stood to protect all of Asgard... incredible. Then it was time to go. The lightning arced, the room spun, and a gateway to Migard was open before them. "Be safe, Lady Hildr," Haema said softly, smiling up at the Watcher before entering the spinning tunnel of color. Midgard awaited.

josienoms
2013-11-30, 06:36 PM
Hermod follows quietly through the streets, trying neither to draw nor avoid attention to himself. Though with his large stature and dark skin, he was bound to stick out from other Asgardians. What always managed to impress him was the construction of the Bifrost itself. No matter how many times he saw it, the magnificent construction of it brought a sense of wonder to him. His mother standing watch over all Nine Realms had always impressed him as well, and he only hoped that he would be a worthy successor to her, when the time came.

He watched as his mother activated the bridge, and as Tyr and Haema stepped through. He looked to Hildr, briefly, and their golden eyes met. "Thank you, mother. I shall see you again soon." He allowed himself a small smile, before he too stepped through.

Green Bean
2013-12-01, 09:23 PM
Brynja deliberately ignored the looks she attracted on her way through the streets of Asgard; all things considered, stares were much safer than the alternative.

The workings of the Bifrost were incredible, far beyond anything they had back in Jotunheim. Though she could hardly admit that out loud. So she simply gave Hildr a brief nod, not so much in gratitude, but in acknowledgement of a job well done. She stepped through the bridge, curious as to what Midgard would bring.

horus42
2013-12-01, 11:02 PM
As you step through the vortex, everything starts spinning. You all feel the sensation of flying through space at blinding speeds, surrounded by the swirling colors of the rainbow bridge.

On Midgard, the humans watch as the clouds gather, and begin to swirl. They drop what they're doing, looking on in awe as a beam of multicolored light falls from the sky, then vanishes.

You all find yourself standing on solid ground again, the sensation of flying vanishing in a single moment, as abruptly as it began. The ground is covered in spiraling runes, the only remnants of contact with the Bifrost. A small city is visible past the trees, and a crowd of humans have gathered at the spot where you appeared.

Tyr looks to them and speaks clearly. "Fear not, mortals. We have come from Asgard."

Gasps and mutterings echo throughout the crowd, though no one says anything directly to you.

Glarx
2013-12-01, 11:37 PM
Haema had to try hard to stifle a laugh. She stepped forward, standing slightly behind the Commander. "Commander Tyr, if I may?" If he had no objections, she would take a few steps forward, smiling at the assembled humans. "Good day, my friends. I am Haema, of Asgard. And we four are here to help you.

"We are your protectors, and we will do everything in our power to prevent harm from coming to you. We need to meet with the leader of your city. This is Tønsberg, no? Ah... but of course." Haema ran her free hand through her hair and sighed, looking back at Tyr. "We must look as a nightmare might, no? Four heavily armed and armored gods descending from on high from a pillar of light?" She shifted her eyes back to the group of humans, smiling all the while. "But look at us. We are not the monsters of your ancestors. We are not the horrifying creatures that lurk in your shadows. We are what the shadows fear. We are the light to the darkness. And we are here to protect you and your families from the shades that stretch across the sky."

Haema pulled upon the power of her voice, pushing out an invisible field around her towards the humans. A soothing force that would stifle any fear or hatred, any panic or suspicion. A blank slate across their minds, to allow them to see the truth of the matter. The force worked across their bodies, slipping soundlessly into their ears and into their minds, rubbing away the emotions that might be brewing there. As Haema spoke, the force stifled any foul feelings aimed towards the group. It was a powerful magic, made all the more potent by the targets being human.

"In order to protect your families, we need to speak with the leader of your city. Coordinating the defenses and preparing for any contingencies are our priority. Please, help us to help you."

Using a point of Legend to activate Charmer. Attempting to stunt it.

Also, rolling Charisma+Presence. I presume that's what this sort of speech would be? [roll0] +1 Automatic Success from Epic Charisma 1. So Five Successes... I think? Although additional dice from the stunt attempts might change that.

horus42
2013-12-02, 05:21 PM
Yeah, you got five successes. Also, I'll give you two stunt dice for it.

A tall, middle-aged man walks to the forefront. He wears simple clothing, and has his long grey hair pulled back behind his head. He bows his head and falls to one knee. "Greetings, my Lady. I am Siegfried, the leader of the people of Tønsberg. I have long been a servant of the gods, and am willing to do whatever you ask of me. I am certain that my people will agree."

A general murmur of assent rises through the crowd. The tension vanishes, the people relax visibly, seemingly relieved to be in the presence of gods. The rest of the gathered townspeople fall to their knees, as Siegfried did.

"What would you have us do? And what threat will fall upon us?"

Tyr nods approvingly at Haema's words, and provides a bit of explanation. "Dark Elves believe that a powerful relic has been hidden here, one they wish to use as a weapon against the gods. They will destroy the city, if not all of Midgard, if we do not stop them. However, we are but four warriors, and there will be dozens, if not hundreds, of Dark Elves. We would appreciate the aid of your warriors. And fear not, for we shall protect them."

Siegfried nods. "It will be done, my Lord."

Green Bean
2013-12-03, 10:36 AM
Brynja had heard stories of lower races who worshiped the Aesir as gods, but it was certainly enlightening to see it in person. It seemed they were willing to fight and die for their 'gods', though they were so frail and childlike in their stature. She found herself hoping that they would not be slaughtered in number, likely though it was considering the ferocity of the Dark Elves.

josienoms
2013-12-03, 02:35 PM
Hermod shifted uncomfortably. He knew that the humans of Midgard thought of his people as gods, and while he had expected to be met with respect, the outright worship made him feel very uncomfortable. However, he simple kept his mouth shut, knowing that should he tell them the truth, that Asgardians are not gods, it could have disastrous consequences.

Instead, he simply stood behind the commander as the warriors of Tonsberg assembled before them. He feared for them. Such fragile creatures, facing a foe much greater than they could handle. If he had known that this was tyr's plan, he might have spoken sooner. As it was, it was too late for that. Hermod silently vowed to himself to do everything he could to keep the Midgardians alive.

Glarx
2013-12-03, 02:41 PM
"Are there perhaps caves, or mountains at the least, which could provide for some suitable terrain? Getting the women, children, elderly and infirm out of the path of danger would be preferable." Silently, Haema considered whether or not Midgardian weaponry would have even a minute chance of scratching the lacquer of a svartálfar's armor. Although it might be possible to outfit them with Asgardian technology...

The temptress leaned forward and whispered into Commander Tyr's ear. "Commander, would it be possible to transport proper weapons from Asgard via the Bifrost? Giving their warriors weapons worthy of the foes they'll fight may even the odds, and giving them armor worthy of the svartálfar weaponry dramatically increases their chances of surviving. I can provide them with mystical support before the battle begins, but that buoys the will, not the endurance."

horus42
2013-12-03, 04:25 PM
Siegfried nods and says, "I know just the place where we can hide them. If you'll excuse me." He bows deeply, then goes about the crowd, shouting orders, and telling them where to evacuate the noncombatants.

When asked about the arms and armor, Tyr simply shrugs. "I am not certain that they would arrive in time, but I will make a request of them nonetheless." He looks up towards the sky, and starts shouting at Hildr, knowing that she can hear him.

In the meantime, the warriors of Tønsberg assemble before the four of you. As they stand, they're not much to look at. A few hundred men, most of them in the prime of their mortal lives, but with weapons and armor that are woefully inadequate for the task at hand. Once Tyr gets the official headcount, he begins making a formal request for Asgardian technology to be lent to the humans.

He looks over to Haema and says, "Lady Hildr tells me that the requested weapons and armor are on the way, though they must come back with us when we return to Asgard. King Borr does not wish to simply gift this technology to the mortals just yet."

Glarx
2013-12-04, 07:02 AM
Haema nodded, surveying the warriors. "It would skew the course of history for Midgard to possess our artifice. I only suggest it due to the extreme nature of the situation. A supernal force approaches this realm -- we mustn't ask them to fight it with mundane weaponry." She looked over at Hermod, taking a moment to examine his form more closely, and then blushed as she realized what she was doing. Shaking her head to clear it, Haema motioned to him. "Lord Hermod, you could instruct these men in the proper use of our ranged technology, no? Word of your excellence with the longrifle has traveled far and wide through Asgard. And you, Lady Brynja, could easily observe the form of these men and make sure they aren't going to harm themselves with our melee weapons, no?"

She knew she couldn't be of any actual help. Merely logistical. She'd conduct a blessing before the battle began, but outside of that, Haema was primarily worthless. Indeed, it would probably have been best for her to go with the noncombatants, but the warriors would need every advantage they could get -- and even a noncombatant from Asgard was superior to the greatest warrior of Midgard.

Green Bean
2013-12-04, 10:06 PM
"I may see that they at least know how to hold a blade, but they are frail and sickly creatures by nature. Their skills will not measure up to the task." Brynja's voice was deep, but quiet, and wouldn't carry so far as the assembled men. "Still, I will not doubt their courage until I have seen it for myself."

Brynja stepped forward and beheld the warriors before her. She called out, and her voice rumbled like an avalanche. "If you wish to fight beside your gods, you must prove yourselves worthy in my eyes! Those of you with blades, draw them! I will take your measure!"

Not sure if I should roll Command or not given the circumstances, so just in case I'll roll it below.

Charisma+Command: [roll0]

josienoms
2013-12-05, 08:10 PM
Hermod nods briefly. "I thank you for your kind words, My Lady. I will see that it is done." He watches as the warriors assemble, and waits to see if the supplies from Asgard will arrive in time. All the while, he spares a glace to the sky every now and again, to see if the Dark Elf ship is within sight.

horus42
2013-12-06, 09:47 AM
The warriors give a cry at Brynja's command, and draw their weapons. As she oversees them demonstrating their skills, she notices a few things about them. They fight with tenacity and courage, but they are... undisciplined. Instead of fighting as a unit, it's more like hundreds of individual fights, each man seeking out his own personal glory, rather than victory for the group as a whole.

In the meantime, as Hermod watches the skies...
Roll Perception+Awareness please, Josie.

Glarx
2013-12-06, 09:56 AM
"Commander, by your leave, I would like to speak with the leader of this town and do my best to assuage any fears. Overseeing the defenses and evacuation seems like something I might more successful at than trying to prepare the troops physically. I may be able to do something about the cohesion, but Lady Brynja is undeniably exceptional in this field -- I doubt they would respect me as much as they will Lady Brynja. But if you have need of me, you need but tell me how I might help, Commander Tyr." Haema bowed her head towards the commander, awaiting his orders.

Green Bean
2013-12-07, 06:49 PM
Brynja said nothing at the display of skill before her, though her expression made it clear she wasn't happy. Very quickly, her sheer presence caught the assembled men's attention, forcing them to stop and pay attention. With all the men's eyes on her, she finally spoke, striding up and down their front ranks as she did. "You have some skill. I can see you are men of courage. But that is all you are; men. Hundreds of men, each by himself, fighting for himself!"

"This is what the Dark Elves make of a man of courage!"She had positioned herself near a particularly egregious glory-seeker, and all of a sudden she moved against him. With terrifying speed she grasped his wrist, lifted him up in the air, and pulled the sword from his hand like a child would pick a berry from a bush. She dropped him, grasped the blade with her bare hand, and without apparent effort bent it into a right angle. She tossed it aside angrily. "Has the prospect of glory stolen your honour? You do not fight for yourself! You fight for your land. You fight for your people. More than that, you fight for the man beside you!"

"Well, I shall make sure you do not forget again." She split the assembled fighters into smaller groups and began drilling them in basic infantry tactics.

Charisma + Command to drill them into a united fighting force. This time I'll spend a point of Legend to gain four automatic successes.

Charisma + Command: [roll0] + 4 successes.

horus42
2013-12-07, 07:36 PM
Tyr looks to Haema and ponders for a moment. "I think that would be wise, yes. The women and children will need someone strong to watch over them, and help them keep their courage in this trying time. Go, and do what you can for them." He pauses. "Especially since so many of their men will not be returning..."

In the meantime, the soldiers seem to take well to Brynja's teachings. The sheer presence of her, towering over even the tallest of the warriors, was more than enough to make them take her seriously. As she drills them through the basic training, it's clear that her words were taken to heart.

As Hermod looks to the sky, his eyes catch sight of something incoming, very fast. A small, sleek ship, entirely black in color. One of the small scouting ships commonly used by the Dark Elves.

Glarx
2013-12-08, 02:21 AM
The temptress nodded and strode off towards the city proper, taking in the sights of the soldiers and the words of her colleagues. She formulated the various words she'd need to use to keep the women and children, the elderly and infirm from being ultimately panicked. A united front had to be presented to the whole of the people. There would be casualties. Lots of casualties. She would need to see how many women were pregnant, and then do some back-of-the-hand calculations to determine how many might have sons. If all the city's men were to die, the city would die as well. Or be conquered by a nearby city -- tribe, maybe? Whatever these monkeys called their groupings.

josienoms
2013-12-08, 09:35 PM
Hermod blinks in surprise, then shouts to the others, while pointing at the incoming ship. "They are coming!"

Green Bean
2013-12-09, 12:05 PM
Brynja's head snapped up and searched around the sky. She roared at the assembled men. "The enemy approaches! Be ready!"

Can I see the ship yet?

Perception + Awareness: [roll0]

horus42
2013-12-09, 04:29 PM
The ship comes into view for the others as the warriors get into formation. Tyr curses loudly about how the supplies from Asgard haven't yet arrived.

A murmur goes up through the crowd of warriors as the ship descends from the sky. The men don't bolt, though they do seem afraid.

After a few moments, the ship lands, and a hatch opens. The Dark Elves start to pour out, their weapons drawn.

Roll Join Battle!