PDA

View Full Version : Great Geometer [PrC, Epic]

Meynolds
2007-01-13, 03:46 PM
This is my first Homebrewed material, any suggestions (except the spell) are welcome.

Great Geometer

Hit Die: d4

Prerequisites
Same as Geometer except:
Skills: 23 ranks of Spellcraft
Special: 5 Levels of Geometer, ability to cast 9th level spells.

Skill points at each level: 2+int modifier.

{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Spells per day*
1st|+1|+1|+1|+1|Symbol of Pesuasion|+1 level of existing class
2nd|+1|+1|+1|+1|Symbol of Weakness, Improved Symbols|+1 level of existing class
3rd|+2|+1|+1|+2|Symbol of Insanity, Perfect Copy|+1 level of existing class
4th|+2|+2|+2|+2|Symbol of Death, Shrunken Symbol|+1 level of existing class
5th|+3|+2|+2|+3|Twin Symbol|+1 level of existing class[/table]
* This does not apply if the equivalent of 20 spellcasting levels has been reached.

Symbol of Persuasion: As the spell, learned as a 6th level Wizard/Sorcerer Spell.
Symbol of Weakness: As the spell, learned as a 7th level Wizard/Sorcerer Spell.
Improved Symbols [Su]: All spells with a written or drawn component (Glyphs, Symbols, etc.) gain a +1 to DC to the appropriate save check. The casting time for such spells is halved as well (rounded up)
Symbol of Insanity: As the spell, learned as an 8th level Wizard/Sorcerer Spell.
Perfect Copy [Ex]: After looking at a diagram or writing once for at least 1 minute and reading the whole document, the Great Geometer gains a +4 to Forgery checks to recreate the document. A completely different document written by the Geometer gains a +2 to Forgery check, provided that all the letters were in the original document. The Great Geometer does not have to understand the document to recreate it. Any magical effects on the original are not carried over.
Symbol of Death: As the spell, learned as an 8th level Wizard/Sorcerer Spell.
Shrunken Symbol [Su]: At 4th level the DC to save against spells with written or drawn components increases by +1 again (to a total of +2). In addition because the spell has been made smaller in size the Search DC to find the spell is increased by +4. The required material components are halved, so they only need to be half the value.
Twin Symbol [Ex]: At this point mastery of Geometry has been reached. The Geometer can cast a spell with a written or drawn component using each hand. Two different spells may be cast at once but any concentration DCs incurred while casting these spells increase by +2. Also a spellcraft check with a DC of 30+(the level of the spell) for each spell. Alternately two of the same may be cast, but they only count as one, adding +4 to the DC of any save to avoid the effect. This effect requires a Spellcraft check with a DC of 25+(the level of the spell). This also applies to the Spellglyph or Greater Spellglyph abilities. This ability cannot be used with epic spells.

icke
2007-01-14, 05:08 AM
Two general things:

1) The epic progression doesn't have spells per day any more, so You do not need to include that into You tables.

2) Epic prestige classes should in general be planned epic, read: open ended, so You shouldn't stop at five levels.

But this is just my general mumbling, I don't feel well if I can't criticize someone.

That said, the class is a good idea, and almost fine. I still have a problem with the Twin Symbol, what exactly does it do? does it grant your geometer two spells per round, but requires a spellcraft check(DC?) to cast or both fail? What happens if a geometer tries this with two epic spells?

Ramza00
2007-01-14, 05:13 AM
Two general things:

1) The epic progression doesn't have spells per day any more, so You do not need to include that into You tables.
Yes he needs to include it, for a wizard 17/X 3 that doesn't progress casting who gets into this prc at lvl 21 will need 3 more lvls of spell progression not just caster progression.

Skilpoints per lvl are never odd, its 2 or 4 never 3.

icke
2007-01-14, 06:12 AM
Yes he needs to include it, for a wizard 17/X 3 that doesn't progress casting who gets into this prc at lvl 21 will need 3 more lvls of spell progression not just caster progression.

Forgot about this, sorry. Also, you're right about the skill points per level, even more since the geometer/wizard is an INT-based caster who already gets skill points en masse.

Meynolds
2007-01-14, 08:41 AM
I just made a mistake with the skill points.

The twin spell allows two spells to be cast, so long as it has a written or drawn component.
I made a mistake on the spellcraft. It should be on any concentration checks made while casting these spells.

I'll correct those.

icke
2007-01-15, 04:48 AM
So usually, while casting these two spells Your geometer won't have to make any checks, unless she's being under attack? This might be a little too hard, it's the usual two-spells-in-one-round problem. You might want to include a general concentration check to be able to cast the two spells, DC maybe around 30 + sum of the spell levels. Make one check for each spell, if it fails, this spell is lost.
Also restrict this ability for epic spells, two of them in a round is too hard...

Behold_the_Void
2007-01-15, 05:01 AM
It should have a 23-24 rank skill requirement so it absolutely cannot be entered before level 21.

Meynolds
2007-01-15, 11:18 AM
icke --> Fixed the effect up, DC 30+level of spell. If two of the same, only 25+level of spell.

Behold the void --> This class was designed just to be a continuation of the Geometer class from Complete Arcane, so I saw no reason to increase the skill requirements.

icke
2007-01-19, 08:52 AM
It should have a 23-24 rank skill requirement so it absolutely cannot be entered before level 21.

I guess the Void wants to add those requirements to make sure this class cannot be entered before epic levels, right now a geometer can enter this class at level 18.

Meynolds
2007-01-19, 03:15 PM
I meant for it to be enterable at around Level 18. Sorry about not making that clear.

icke
2007-01-22, 01:52 AM
Nah, don't make it a level 18+ class. The things it can do ARE epic, so let it be an epic class. Level 21+ at least.

Meynolds
2007-01-22, 07:51 AM
True, hadn't quite looked at it that way, I'll adjust that.