PDA

View Full Version : Is there anyway for an Arcane Gish to gain Int to AC while wearing armor?

gorilla-turtle
2013-11-28, 07:05 PM
Ascetic Psion, Iaijutsu Master, Carmendine Monk, Kung Fu Genius: Monk based, so armorless (Iaijutsu Master also limited by equipment)

Blade Singer, Duelist, Invisible Blade: Limited by Class Level (Blade Singer also limited by equipment, Duelist and Invisible Blade armorless).

Control Body, Eternal Blade, Factotum: Would require warping my entire build around the class (Control Body RAW/RAI for possessing yourself arguably unclear).

Is there any other way for a potential Int based Arcane Gish to gain his Int to AC while armored? Or potentially a way to be able to enchant something in the armor slot to gain the benefit of armor special abilities but not actually wear armor?

olentu
2013-11-28, 07:13 PM
Hmm, as I recall ascetic psion does not specify that it works only for monk wiz to AC. If I am remembering the feat correctly then it could be combined with swordsage to work while in light armor.

HaikenEdge
2013-11-28, 07:17 PM
Control Body: Only for someone you specifically possess with that power.

Any reason why you couldn't control yourself? Aside from losing AoOs, I mean.

Yuki Akuma
2013-11-28, 07:20 PM

There's absolutely no reason why you can't target yourself with control body.

gorilla-turtle
2013-11-28, 07:39 PM

There's absolutely no reason why you can't target yourself with control body.

I'm not going to get into a RAW/RAI debate over what should be a misnomer. I'll simply reclassify Control Body as having a bit of a requirement for a spellcasting gish build, given that it would require a minimum of 7 levels of Psion. Additionally, it would eat all of my standard actions to do so, and I'd only have it for during that time, so it's really not even feesable enough in combat to jokingly consider it.

cakellene
2013-11-28, 07:42 PM
What's the point though? It's an armor bonus to AC and thus doesn't stqack with armor.

gorilla-turtle
2013-11-28, 07:48 PM
What's the point though? It's an armor bonus to AC and thus doesn't stqack with armor.

Not quite. There are a few classes that gain a bonus to AC, but not specifically an armor bonus. Such bonuses -do- stack with one's actual armor, such as a Swordsage (untyped Wisdom Bonus to AC), or an Arcane Duelist (like for Charisma). I'm trying to find an Int Based Version, or a way to enchant something as a substitute to armor.

cakellene
2013-11-28, 07:57 PM
Ah, wasn't aware of that.

Renen
2013-11-28, 08:02 PM

So fun reading poats from people who just joined.
And turtle is right. Unless its specified as armor bonus... if its not specified then it totally stacks.
And dont forget... you can get ur crystal to control ur body, making u the ultimate gish. You can now attack AND manifest in one round.

Thrice Dead Cat
2013-11-28, 08:05 PM
With Solicit Psicrystal, you. Could retain your own standard actions while using Control Body, making a fairly decent psi-gish.

Renen
2013-11-28, 08:10 PM
I said that >_< :smallfurious:

avr
2013-11-28, 08:15 PM
Robes take up the armor slot, and a robe of the archmagi has an armor bonus (without being even light armor) so you could reasonably make a custom item which has armor special abilities. DM approval required as for any custom item of course.

gorilla-turtle
2013-11-28, 09:02 PM
So fun reading poats from people who just joined.
And turtle is right. Unless its specified as armor bonus... if its not specified then it totally stacks.

The only thing is that I wouldn't expect a Dm to rule that multiple "stat b replaces stat a for x purpose" probably wouldn't stack.

And dont forget... you can get ur crystal to control ur body, making u the ultimate gish. You can now attack AND manifest in one round.

With Solicit Psicrystal, you. Could retain your own standard actions while using Control Body, making a fairly decent psi-gish.

So, have my Psycrystal Possess me, and then use my augmented body to gish it up. I'm looking for a way to do it as a Spellcasting Gish (might be worth moving into the op), but that's still a good idea for an encounter.

Nothing else comes up yet?

PlotPirate
2013-11-28, 09:41 PM
Not sure what exact type of build you're going for, but might I suggest Abjurant Champion. Its pretty simple to get into for a gish. So as long as you are an arcane gish with access to shield, and mage armor, preferebly mage armor greater, Abjurant Champion will grant you a bonus to AC while those spells are active. I'm almost positive those spells don't qualify as actual armor in terms of restrictions for feats/class features.

Not completely sure what class levels would be best for starting it out. Perhaps wizard 5/ eldritch knight 2/ iaijutsu master 1/ abjurant Champion 5. On early levels use mage armor and alter self to keep ac on better side, as you will be kinda squishy, till you can get some good martial class levels.

Also, technically mage armor doesn't qualify for Abjurant Champions bonus, but for some reason its listed as an example, ask you DM about that first.

Chronos
2013-11-28, 11:20 PM
Even if your DM rules against Mage Armor getting the AbjChamp bonus, Luminous Armor is an abjuration spell, and so definitely works.

Psyren
2013-11-28, 11:37 PM
Kung Fu Genius Monk/Paladin/Argent Fist will get Int to AC in full plate.

Nonah_Me
2013-11-29, 01:26 AM
Doesn't this work? Though it does require you to use a full attack action.

Combat Expertise [General]
Prerequisite
Int 13.

Benefit
When you use the attack action or the full attack action in melee, you can take a penalty of as much as -5 on your attack roll and add the same number (+5 or less) as a dodge bonus to your Armor Class. This number may not exceed your base attack bonus. The changes to attack rolls and Armor Class last until your next action.

Edit: I am dumb, and realized it's not Int to AC. Bleh.

Doc_Maynot
2013-11-29, 03:11 AM
Seeing as it's on topic I have a question regarding Kung Fu Genius. Would it work if one only had a Monk Belt in use and no Monk levels? The wording seems it would work.

ben-zayb
2013-11-29, 03:25 AM
Arms and Equipments Guide has rules for enchanting Bracers of Armor with special abilities (up to +12? I think). AFB so I can't remember if it works with Special Abilities with constant cost (e.g Silent Moves, Glamered, etc)

gorilla-turtle
2013-11-29, 09:56 PM
Not sure what exact type of build you're going for, but might I suggest Abjurant Champion. Its pretty simple to get into for a gish. So as long as you are an arcane gish with access to shield, and mage armor, preferebly mage armor greater, Abjurant Champion will grant you a bonus to AC while those spells are active. I'm almost positive those spells don't qualify as actual armor in terms of restrictions for feats/class features.

Not completely sure what class levels would be best for starting it out. Perhaps wizard 5/ eldritch knight 2/ iaijutsu master 1/ abjurant Champion 5. On early levels use mage armor and alter self to keep ac on better side, as you will be kinda squishy, till you can get some good martial class levels.

Also, technically mage armor doesn't qualify for Abjurant Champions bonus, but for some reason its listed as an example, ask you DM about that first.

Even if your DM rules against Mage Armor getting the AbjChamp bonus, Luminous Armor is an abjuration spell, and so definitely works.

Wow, Abjurant Champion is pretty good... doesn't matter if I wear Armor or not if I can have Mage Armor as effective as Full Plate. More effective, actually.

Kung Fu Genius Monk/Paladin/Argent Fist will get Int to AC in full plate.

Interesting (though questionable for a Monk/Paladin to be focusing on Int over Wisdom).

Seeing as it's on topic I have a question regarding Kung Fu Genius. Would it work if one only had a Monk Belt in use and no Monk levels? The wording seems it would work.

You would think the "taken before or at the 1st level of Monk Class" requirement means it requires at least 1 Monk level.

I think I've got my answer (screw Armor, just use Abjurant Champion). That'll do.

KillianHawkeye
2013-11-29, 10:13 PM
Note that the reference to mage armor in the Abjurant Champion description was removed by errata, being that it's not actually an abjuration spell. Hence checking with your DM to see if he'll still allow it.

Adverb
2013-11-29, 11:20 PM
If your DM is kind, Swordsage 2 plus Carmendine Monk or Kung Fu Genius will get you this. Failing that, I think you're out of luck.

This thread is useful: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125732

Dusk Eclipse
2013-11-29, 11:30 PM
Note that the reference to mage armor in the Abjurant Champion description was removed by errata, being that it's not actually an abjuration spell. Hence checking with your DM to see if he'll still allow it.

That is why you use Luminous Armour and it's greater cousin, they are abjuration spells which give an AC bonus, they also give an attack de-buff to the enemies (-4). They are exalted spells so you do need to be good aligned to cast them though and they require a small strength sacrifice, but since you only take the damage when they expire (hours/level) it is nothing a friendly cleric (or a rod of bodily restoration) can't fix.

Thrice Dead Cat
2013-11-29, 11:40 PM
That is why you use Luminous Armour and it's greater cousin, they are abjuration spells which give an AC bonus, they also give an attack de-buff to the enemies (-4). They are exalted spells so you do need to be good aligned to cast them though and they require a small strength sacrifice, but since you only take the damage when they expire (hours/level) it is nothing a friendly cleric (or a rod of bodily restoration) can't fix.

Also note that, if the spell lasts long enough (i.e., >24 hours), you may never take the strength damage as recasting the spell delays its expiration. Just watch out for counterspells!:smalltongue:

Yuki Akuma
2013-11-30, 09:20 AM
Point of order: you do not have to be Good to cast Sanctified spells. You have to be non-Evil.

Only Good Clerics can spontaneously cast them, but if you're not a Cleric you don't care whether you're Good or Neutral.

Edit: On further reading, I'm not entirely sure you even have to be Good aligned to spontaneously cast them as a Cleric.

Chronos
2013-11-30, 09:55 AM
Quoth gorilla-turtle:

You would think the "taken before or at the 1st level of Monk Class" requirement means it requires at least 1 Monk level.
Quite the contrary: If you can take it before your first level of the monk class, then it must be possible for a non-monk to take it.