PDA

View Full Version : Class advice for pathfinder

TheOneHawk
2013-11-28, 07:07 PM
Hey everyone! So I'm currently playing in a campaign where I am far and away the best optimizer. No contest. Normally in this situation I would play a weak class and make bad decisions on purpose, but I need to play an int based character. Obviously wizard is right out, I'd break the game on accident, but what else is there that's lower tier and int based?

Andrewmoreton
2013-11-28, 07:25 PM
There is only really Magus and witch which are intelligence based , Witch is a full caster slightly weaker spell list but still nearly as good as a wizard. Magus combines magic and melee some of the archetypes reduce spell casting that makes it a bit weaker.

Re'ozul
2013-11-28, 08:16 PM
Alchemist is a viable option.
Less breakable, but still fun, especially if you play it as slightly crazy.
Just lug around lots of alchemist's fire/acid/cold items and throw stuff.

ngilop
2013-11-28, 11:57 PM
Try the Scholar (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/tripod-machine/scholar)

because lets just be honest if you are incaplable of NOT breaking the game with a wizard. you are absoutely going to break it with anyclass that can do anything.

Spore
2013-11-29, 12:07 AM
Witch - play it without cackle and evil eye. Perhaps focus on in-fight healing. Be the benevolent soul that prevents players from repeatedly dying because of stupid decisions. Use your cool spell list to speed terribly played parts. Why flying of course!

Alchemist - even if you optimize as HARD as you can, the Alchemist becomes medriocre at best.

Magus - become one with the gish, be the blaster, and have limited utility.

I am a fan of Alchemist. The obvious solution is always to explode it! We can't open the door? Explosives! There is a trap in there? Explosives! We need to rescue the princess? Strap explosives onto her!

JHShadon
2013-11-29, 12:32 AM
The obvious solution is always to explode it! We can't open the door? Explosives! There is a trap in there? Explosives! We need to rescue the princess? Strap explosives onto her!

Your avatar matches this perfectly.

ProudGrognard
2013-11-29, 07:04 AM
I think that indeed the alchemist is a good try. I find that the bomber alchemist is hard to break, but I would not call it mediocre in any way. Fun class, a shame that there is no good bomber archetype (the Grenadier is rather bad).

A witch specializing on manipulating chance and fate would also be good (with fortune, misfortune and the rest).

Kudaku
2013-11-29, 09:31 AM
An alchemist that focuses on buffing and uses Infusions to pass party favors around is fairly hard to break and the harder you optimize it the better your party becomes - I'd say it's a good fit for what you're trying to do :smallcool:

Spore
2013-11-30, 09:15 PM
I think that indeed the alchemist is a good try. I find that the bomber alchemist is hard to break, but I would not call it mediocre in any way.

It just runs out of the good stuff way to quickly. If you lob several bombs per round you like just have enough bombs for about 10 rounds of combat.

Your avatar matches this perfectly.

Why thank you.

Jakodee
2013-12-01, 11:43 AM
Actually the alchemist can be useful if used correctly. Due to how his bombs can possibly ignore AC. It might take 5 paladins to kill that high AC dragon but only 3 alchemists loaded up on bombs.