PDA

View Full Version : Yet another Fighter fix?

Wookie-ranger
2013-11-28, 09:43 PM
So, we all know about the martial vs magical inequality. Long story short, I wanted to give my 2cents on a possible fix. Not a full on equalizer but something that would make martial base characters playable.

At the beginning of your turn you can add you fighter level to either attack, AC, or one specific saving through (Fort, Ref or Will) as an unnamed bonus. This bonus would be active until the beginning of your next turn.

I know it is not a perfect solution for linear vs quadratic power progression, but it is something I thought of the other day. How does this sound?

Grod_The_Giant
2013-11-28, 09:46 PM
Number inflation doesn't really help anything. Noncasters can have numbers if they want; what they lack is options.

danzibr
2013-11-28, 10:29 PM
To really make it quadratic, let them add the square of their Fighter level.

rexx1888
2013-11-28, 10:37 PM
i see this a bit, but normally leave it for others, but it may be time i took one of these :)

think for a second about what a fighter can do when faced with a cliff he wants to get to the top of and compare to a wizard.
The fighter may be able to climb it, assuming he leaves his stuff behind or has max ranks in climb(unlikely). If he has one, he can use a rope and grapple, or climbing gear to assist the check. yet his single option provided by class features is to climb.

now, the wizard, with the same restriction on class features has a number of options. First, he has enough skill ranks to have climb cross class, and he doesn't use armour so no check penalty. Next up, if hes high enough level he can fly. He may also be able to use a shaping spell, or possibly even stone to mud. Teleport exists, and if he wants to get creative im sure he has other options.

the problem with balance with magic in 3.5 isnt numbers(though theres that too) its the fact that one single class feature is able to do so very very much, but other features simply cant. The only fully functional way to fix it is to come up with other features that are similar in behavior. To create true even scale style balance you need those other features AND a solid nerf to tier one casting (note i say tier one casting. Spells may sometimes be dumb, but the mechanic isn't broken, its simply the amount of access that tier one's have to it)

Abaddona
2013-11-28, 10:37 PM
As Grod said, problem with quadratiic wizards power is not that they have big numbers but that they outright deny options of their enemies while having multiple options at the same time. When fighter struggles to boost his AC wizard can make himself simply untargetable.
Fighters as they are now can possibly hit anything on any roll except natural 1 (and even then it's only because it's auto miss), with ubercharge build they can make that attack really powerfull.
What they need is the options.
Options to adapt - like for example switching all their fighter bonus feats overnight to completely change their fighting style (and maybe also make styles other than thf better).
Options to make armor relevant - not by AC because it's hard to keep up, but maybe by gaining DR stackable with other sources, also ability to lower skill check penalty.
Ability to be always prepared - by the means of gaining additional weapon proficiencies on each fighter level and also ability to make their weapon enchanted for X rounds a day (for example turning mundane greatsword into vorpal greatsword etc.) so even when disarmed/their weapon is not usefull during fight - they can simply swap it and still be dangerous (you were imprisoned by the creatures with DR/magic ? well, in your hands every piece of metal can be extremely lethal X rounds/day )
More skill points and better skill list.
Improving mundane options and giving them unique ones - for example tricks which can be done only by them - for example firing a net from a longbow to bring down flying foe or using your weapon to nail the enemy to the ground/another object (hey, icechucker crossbow can fire icicles or javelins - change that to harpoons and suddenly your enemy when hit cannot charge or run - make the harpoon magical and this weapon will be able to really spoil someones day) , maybe also ability to give their allies bonuses to tests from morale (or ability to share them temporarily their tactical feats which will allow them to fight in group - if they for example train together for X time).

danzibr
2013-11-29, 07:59 AM
Here's a Tier 1 Fighter (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12108951&postcount=33).

ArcturusV
2013-11-29, 08:07 AM
I would throw in as well "or three times his level on a Strength or Dexterity based skill check" as well. Not Con because I think the only one that is Con is Concentration off the top of my head, does nothing for the Fighter. But that allows them to have some options, where they can start doing things like being able to just power through various checks like climb, swim, jump, etc, at least giving them some extra capability presuming your combats aren't all in a perfectly cubical room.

It's not much, but better than a stick to the eye.