PDA

View Full Version : Quick Draw feat?

Aisk
2013-11-28, 11:07 PM
I had a duel wielding ranger and while thinking of ways to increase his AC when I came across the quick draw feat.

Now my question is if you had both 2 shields and 2 swords would it be possible to equip yourself (as a free action) with your swords during the start of your turn and at the end of your turn, equip your 2 shields.

Benthesquid
2013-11-28, 11:12 PM
Not by my reading, as Donning a Shield is a separate action to drawing a weapon, and is not modified by Quick Draw.

Aisk
2013-11-28, 11:23 PM
Is there any feats that affect donning armor?

Red Fel
2013-11-28, 11:50 PM
Not a feat, but the Called enhancement allows you to instantly summon your armor or shield as a standard action, provided the slot isn't already occupied.

EDIT: Alternatively, a Ring of Arming allows you, as a standard action, to swap whatever gear you're wearing with whatever gear you've stored in the ring.

gorfnab
2013-11-29, 12:10 AM
Bonuses with the same name usually don't stack. So having 2x shields does not mean having 2x shield bonus to AC. You would only get the better of the two shield bonuses. Now what you could do is take Improved Shield Bash and use a shield (or spiked shield) as your offhand weapon for TWF.

Particle_Man
2013-11-29, 12:54 PM
Or if you go to Magic Mart (tm) you could get a +5 shield for protection and a +1 shield of (spell resistance or heavy fortification or spell reflecting or whatever floats your boat). :smallsmile:

The +1 doesn't help for defense, but those two shields are cheaper than getting a single +5 spell reflecting shield, for example.

Callin
2013-11-29, 01:02 PM
If you are gonna spend the feat anyways.. why not just get an Axebuckler?

Grod_The_Giant
2013-11-29, 01:19 PM
A spiked shield could arguably count as a weapon for the purpose of quick draw... but then, you could just shield bash with it, if you're spending a feat. Alternately, you can have a sword, shield, and armor spikes, and use the spikes as your light off-hand weapon.

Allanimal
2013-11-29, 02:09 PM
Or enchant those armor spikes with the defending property. Bam! Instant AC bonus. Also, put defending on one or more of your weapons you are dual wielding.
In all cases, Greater Magic Weapon makes a more economical and substantial AC boost.

Darrin
2013-11-29, 03:09 PM
Now my question is if you had both 2 shields and 2 swords would it be possible to equip yourself (as a free action) with your swords during the start of your turn and at the end of your turn, equip your 2 shields.

Yes, but you have to drop your swords (free action). So long as the shields are light or heavy, they count as a martial bludgeoning weapon. As far as I know, there is no rules distinction between drawing a shield as a weapon or readying it for defense.

Only the highest shield bonus will count toward your AC, although you can get around that if you make one shield out of Riverine (Stormwrack) or take Inlindl School (Drow of the Underdark).