PDA

View Full Version : making an "ogre mage"

Shloogorgh
2013-11-29, 05:14 AM
I recently found out about the Eneko race from Secrets of Sarlona, which based on their appearance are basically half-ogre magi.

I thought it would be fun to build a PC emphasizing the ogre mage aspects of the character.

I wasn't sure exactly what direction to take the build. It doesn't have to follow an ogre mage too strictly, just take some cues from the idea.

I was thinking sorcerer or wizard gish, or maybe duskblade. I was wondering if there were any prcs that fit the concept. Maybe Jade Phoenix Mage would fit. Thought of sorcadin as a subversion of the idea, but I don't really want to take it in that direction.

Primordial Giant template would probably fit. Considered eldritch glaive warlock but that would be a waste of the Eneko's powerful build, and fighting with a greatsword is something from ogre magi that would be nice to retain.

So how would you go about making an ogre mage inspired character?

only1doug
2013-11-29, 11:38 AM
depending on the optimisation of level of the group you are playing with, if they aren't very highly optimised I'd go for enough levels of warlock to grab Fell flight and darkness and go duskblade or warblade with the rest.

If your group are optimisers then I'd recommend a Wizard / warblade / JPM route.

Its an odd call, a race that gets a Cha penalty with SLA's for high Cha...

in the end it's not worth taking sorcerer because if you are going to be a caster then the SLA's aren't enough of a benefit to counteract the stat penalty.

If you want an easy life just go straight duskblade.

See also this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310410) from last month

Cog
2013-11-29, 11:42 AM
Primordial template from the same book could help emphasize the mage aspect, and leads in well for Factotum. That template works decently with any SLA-using class, though; if you buy off your starting LA you end up with a net bonus to CL.

Shloogorgh
2013-11-29, 12:06 PM
Its an odd call, a race that gets a Cha penalty with SLA's for high Cha...

Primordial template offsets cha penalty with a net gain of +2. Also forgot to mention, LA buy off is in effect