PDA

View Full Version : What obscure (most likely homebrew) system are these?

Fri
2013-11-29, 07:41 AM
I remember reading somewhere, might be in a blog or a site, about a police show rpg, based on cheesy police movies or police procedural shows.

The main point is that the acts in those shows are inherent in the system.

I don't remember the details, but it's how in police shows you got the protagonists failing at first from arresting the wrong suspects, or too late to prevent a heist. Then at the end of the show they do crazy stunts like jumping a speedboat over a pier. Those are considered in the system.

It's a long chance, but anyone know what system/where did I read this system?

Another obscure most-likely-homebrew that I read was a mystery investigation system, I think it's supposed to be supernatural? I don't remember. But the point is that the players collect clues thorough the game, and they make their own conclusion from the scattered clues.

Anyone can help me?

Grinner
2013-11-29, 09:30 AM
Another obscure most-likely-homebrew that I read was a mystery investigation system, I think it's supposed to be supernatural? I don't remember. But the point is that the players collect clues thorough the game, and they make their own conclusion from the scattered clues.

This one sounds like one of the GUMSHOE games, probably The Esoterrorists.

Rhynn
2013-11-29, 09:32 AM
This one sounds like one of the GUMSHOE games, probably The Esoterrorists.

GUMSHOE has pretty distinct mechanics: you spend points from Investigative Skills to get more out of clues, etc.

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-11-29, 09:56 AM
I don't know about the first, but the second is almost certainly a GUMSHOE game, either Esoterrorists or Trail of Cthulhu. (Possibly Fear Itself, actually, but that's less likely. Other games with the same engine are Mutant City Blues and Night's Black Agents. MCB is "noir detective stories with superpowers" and NBA is "superspies vs. vampire conspiracies".)

Mutazoia
2013-11-30, 01:16 AM
Hmmmm there was also "Gangbusters" by TSR....

JustIgnoreMe
2013-11-30, 02:53 PM
The first one sounds a bit like a game that was in development by Hogshead under James Wallis, but never released commercially. He has run it, though, at conventions, and I think he posted some playtest examples on his blog (I think if you search for Spaaace you will find it).

It was called "Get your trousers on, you're nicked!"

The samples he posted were about a trio of detectives on the Norfolk Broads with a high powered speedboat called Blockbuster.

-edit- Slightly misremembered, the play example is on Critical Miss, http://www.criticalmiss.com/issue11/BlockBuster.html

The game is referred to as Cop Show, but in development it was called Get your trousers etc.

Fri
2013-12-01, 08:31 PM
Oh, thanks guys. You guys are amazing. the first game is definitely Cop Show, and the second game is most likely Gumshoe.

It's amazing how I can find that first game again, realizing how it's just an unfinished game and everything.

Thanks again!