PDA

View Full Version : Caster anticaster Build help!

Johnboy
2013-11-29, 09:50 AM
Alright guys, Ive suddenly become really interested in a anti-caster build. Class and Race are open. ALL BOOKS available. Basic idea is to build a caster thats specifically meant to help take down other casters.

Here are the Guidelines:
1) All books are open but NO HOMEBREW. If you make comments then please leave book name and page. My DM allows ALL books but wants to be able to read anything we bring to the table. Understandably.
2) I realize there isnt a real anti-mage type build and dont want to build one. Just a mage thats specialized against other mages. Familiars are open book as well.
3) I realize the limits Ive put on you guys XD. Lets be creative and see what we can come up with.

Giants...on your marks...get set....GO!

Johnboy
2013-11-29, 09:51 AM
Looking for everything. Race/class/Feats/Spells/Familiar(if possible). Wonderous items that may help would be good to.

Snowbluff
2013-11-29, 09:55 AM
Wizard6/Swiftblade6 (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070327)/Spelldancer1(Magic of Faerun)

Cast haste on yourself and persist it. Cast AMF and Persist it. Go to town.

Swiftblade get the ability to have HAste at as an Ex effect while it's cast, so AMF does not affect it.

As I understand it, you cast still cast in an AMF, but the effect will fizzle. Swiftblades can cast haste as a swift action, and can subsume the casting at level 10 to activate Time Stop as an Ex ability.

Arcane Strike also works in an AMF.

A level of Battle Dance and being a Sorc would increase your touch AC, helping you against pesky orbs.

Johnboy
2013-11-29, 10:03 AM
Swiftblade6/Spelldancer1

Way to fail at the what book you get it from part btw. So what book is either of those in?

Snowbluff
2013-11-29, 10:06 AM
You ninja'd my edit.

Johnboy
2013-11-29, 10:09 AM
Haha, sorry about that. Forgive me for this one as well but I dont know most of the acronyms for things in DND quite yet. Only been playing a few months and with having constant access to ALL book including dragon magazine its taking longer than it should for me.

Snowbluff
2013-11-29, 10:15 AM
Haha, sorry about that. Forgive me for this one as well but I dont know most of the acronyms for things in DND quite yet. Only been playing a few months and with having constant access to ALL book including dragon magazine its taking longer than it should for me.

It's okay. We were all new once.

AMF: Antimagic Field. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/antimagicField.htm)

SB: Swiftblade.

Ex: Extraordinary effect. These are not canceled out by an AMF and can not be dispelled.

Arcane Strike is in Complete Warrior. Combine it with Power Attack from the PLayer's Handbook and a two-handed weapon for good damage.

Johnboy
2013-11-29, 10:18 AM
I cant find Swiftblade in MoF. Perhaps you have the page number for me? Reading up on the classes and such. This means that the wizard himself though cant cast spells either right? With the AMF + Persistant Spell(Feat) I mean

Johnboy
2013-11-29, 10:25 AM
I forgot to mention we have access to Dragon Magazine and Wizards site. Anything published by wizards on their site is open for us. For example, Swiftblade Prestige CLass which i just found. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070327)

Snowbluff
2013-11-29, 10:25 AM
I cant find Swiftblade in MoF. Perhaps you have the page number for me? Reading up on the classes and such. This means that the wizard himself though cant cast spells either right? With the AMF + Persistant Spell(Feat) I mean
Swiftblade is here.
(http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070327) The article was made in conjunction with Complete Mage, but isn't in the book.

The Wizard will not be able to cast spells effectively. AMF works in weird ways. I think I'll try and dig up a thread to show your DM. My suggestion is to either use a lot of Arcane Strike or to use the slot to cast buff spells on your friends when you guys are setting up each day.

Alternatively, you can persist a ton of buffing spells on yourself. Dismissing a spell is a standard action, and any spell you cast on yourself in the morning whose duration hasn't past with still be reactivated.

Either way, you'll need a couple levels before you can AMF. I suggest filling the gap with Dispel Magic.

EDIT: SB source was ninja'd. Still, I had it linked in my first post. :smalltongue:

Cog
2013-11-29, 10:39 AM
Swiftblade is fully official but web-only content, which is why it was linked.

Rebel7284
2013-11-29, 11:18 AM
Initiate of Mystra + Antimagic Field on a Divine Metamagic using Dweomerkeeper.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-11-29, 12:24 PM
Wizard/Shadowcaster/Noctumancer. Also one of the easiest (non-shenanigan) ways to get double 9s (9th level spells and mysteries) (Wizard 3/Shadowcaster 3/Noctumancer 10/Mystic Theurge 4). Excellent at counterspelling, and they even regain mystery (spell) uses if they counter successfully.

Shadowcaster and Noctumancer are both found in the Shadow Magic section of the Tome of Magic.

gorilla-turtle
2013-11-29, 09:03 PM
Wizard6/Swiftblade6 (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070327)/Spelldancer1(Magic of Faerun)

Swiftblade get the ability to have HAste at as an Ex effect while it's cast, so AMF does not affect it.

As I understand it, you cast still cast in an AMF, but the effect will fizzle. Swiftblades can cast haste as a swift action, and can subsume the casting at level 10 to activate Time Stop as an Ex ability.

Arcane Strike also works in an AMF.

A level of Battle Dance and being a Sorc would increase your touch AC, helping you against pesky orbs.

How exactly are you casting Haste and Persisting it, even though it isn't eligible for Persistent Spell?

Renegade Paladin
2013-11-29, 09:26 PM
A player in one of my games did it by just doing a wizard/archmage build and taking Improved Counterspell and Spellfire Wielder along with a few feats I forget involving dispelling. Astinius was just a great big middle finger in the direction of any caster he didn't like the look of, all day erry day. :smallamused: Spellfire Wielder wasn't a huge part of what he did, but he blew up someone grappling him once. :smalltongue:

Snowbluff
2013-11-29, 10:21 PM
How exactly are you casting Haste and Persisting it, even though it isn't eligible for Persistent Spell?

Oh! I forgot. Use Ocular Spell. It gives haste a fixed range. Thanks! :smallbiggrin:

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-11-29, 10:35 PM
Make a Cleric with the Inquisition domain for +4 to dispel checks. Also get the Travel domain since mobility will be absolutely necessary.

Get the feat Divine Defiance in FC2, which allows you to spend a turn/rebuke attempt to counterspell as an immediate action. This way you can spend your entire turn attacking and dispelling their buffs and still be able to counterspell on the fly without readying an action.

Get the feat Improved Counterspell so you can use any spell of the same school to counterspell. Get Heighten Spell and Divine Metamagic: Heighten Spell and you can spend a Heightened lower-level spell of the appropriate school to counterspell. Metamagic reducers like Practical Metamagic, Earth Spell, and Easy Metamagic will help reduce the number of turn/rebuke uses you have to spend on those.

Keep in mind this will require tons of turn/rebuke uses, so a Reliquary Holy Symbol and as many Night Sticks as you can get your hands on will be absolutely necessary. You should also try to get enough to DMM: Persist a few choice spells, unless you can get a cohort with Incantatrix to Cooperative Metamagic: Persist your spells for you.

Get the feat Selective Spell from Shining South, it's a +1 metamagic that makes the affected spell simply have no effect on one specific creature, i.e. yourself. Use it with (DMM: Persistent, Widened) Antimagic Field and you get to ignore its effects but nobody else does. You're still in the AMF's effect for purposes of everyone else's actions, but anything you do is unhindered by it.

Gazzien
2013-11-30, 04:45 AM
For the above, substitute "Divine Countermagic" for Improved Counterspell, Heighten Spell, and DMM: Heighten.

Same effect, lower cost. (1 feat, not 3)

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-11-30, 09:46 AM
For the above, substitute "Divine Countermagic" for Improved Counterspell, Heighten Spell, and DMM: Heighten.

Same effect, lower cost. (1 feat, not 3)

Not really, since Divine Countermagic costs as many turn/rebuke attempts as DMM: Heightening a 0-level spell to counterspell. The above three feats allow you to use a spell only a few levels below the one you wish to counter, and with Earth Spell and Practical Metamagic you'll probably only spend two turn attempts to counter a spell of any level. Considering it costs another turn/rebuke attempt to use Divine Defiance, plus you want some for DMM: Persist, spending the extra feats is probably going to be worth it.