PDA

View Full Version : need help with character creation (heavy metal bard)

Deca4531
2013-11-29, 10:38 AM
so I have had this idea in my head of making a character who uses sonic attacks through his instruments.to any of you guys who ever watched dexter's laboratory I kinda wanna make the "Valhallan, Viking god of Rock" type character. I figured bard might be a good starting point but I'm not sure if they can use their music to do any damage. And Bard has never been a class I have know much about.

if I don't use bard I was thinking of using warlock and just flavor texting the way his eldritch blast works to say its being channled through my lute .if anyone has any suggestions as far as bass or prestige classes or magic items that might help me build this I would appreciate it.

limejuicepowder
2013-11-29, 11:00 AM
I dont know that much about bards except for basic IC optimization, but......a lute? Not very metalish is it.

Deca4531
2013-11-29, 11:18 AM
I dont know that much about bards except for basic IC optimization, but......a lute? Not very metalish is it.

well I was thinking of enchanting a loot with shocking or shocking burst, cuz that's pretty much the closest thing you're going to get to an electric guitar in the funeral age. Also I would love to be able to come up with something to be like my special attack called BASS CANNON!

limejuicepowder
2013-11-29, 11:31 AM
There is a low level bard spell that does damage...bone something. It's from spell compendium. It'll work for the very early levels.

Bards don't really use their music to cause direct harm. They can do pretty much everything else, but not damage. You could use dragonfire inspiration to add sonic damage to all the weapons of the party, which is close, but it's not exactly the same. You'd also have to be dragon-themed, and find a sonic dragon to be related to/worship/descend from.

Deca4531
2013-11-29, 11:49 AM
well I've been looking around and it was seen that while the bardic music could be useful in some cases I think I will just have to adapt warlock. A good suggestion I found was to go lesser assamar and then Dragonborn then I'll just take the breath weapon option and a sonic breath to give me my BASS CANNON.

I might also get a couple levels in either Marshall orshaman to get me an aura, really this is all more for the flavor of the character and not so much optimization.

Tim Proctor
2013-11-29, 11:52 AM
Theme Music (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2ALsQFm0_g)

So, I'd suggest Bard 10/Sublime Cord 1*/Stormsinger 9. *if you are optimizing, if not then drop off the leven and stay with Stormsinger.

Its ability to drop a lightning bolt with a bardic music use is super thematic, you strum your electric mandolin (its electric cause it causes lightning) and a bolt of lightning shoots out at them. Stormbolt the reserve feat is pretty cool too.

For a weapon, I'd talk with the DM and see if you can make a twist from the Instrument Blade (CS p 110) and see if you can get something like the below:

http://technabob.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/The-Dragonborn-Mandolin.jpg

I'd think most would be willing to allow it to any string instrument that could be hand held.

Deca4531
2013-11-29, 12:07 PM
wow thank you Tim, this is almost exactly what it was I was looking for. And the weapon adaptation was something I can sidered but I forgot there was an ingame rule for it. I was planning on taking a great axe and sing at the DM would let me string it but it's good to know that there's a system designed to do that. The only downside I see to this is that I can only use my Thunder song ability number of times equal to my Bartok music uses. But I'll see what I can do to make it work.

Tim Proctor
2013-11-29, 12:12 PM
Yeah, it runs off bardic music uses, but you should have plenty of them. But stormbolt the reserve feat allows you to use unlimited lightning bolts at a d6 per highest electric spell level available. So if you got Sublime you got 9d6 and otherwise 6d6, either its about theme not function.

Best of luck with it.

Deca4531
2013-11-29, 12:16 PM
Yeah, it runs off bardic music uses, but you should have plenty of them. But stormbolt the reserve feat allows you to use unlimited lightning bolts at a d6 per highest electric spell level available. So if you got Sublime you got 9d6 and otherwise 6d6, either its about theme not function.

Best of luck with it.

yeah I posted my response before I read the description for that feat., its pretty awesome. I just I want you to know I love you forever!

Deca4531
2013-11-29, 12:20 PM
real quick can anyone suggest some good magic items for a barred.

Deca4531
2013-11-29, 01:37 PM
okay so after looking around I found a few items that are both flavorful and useful, but more suggestions are always welcome and much appreciated. Here's what I found so far:

Lyre of building:can be used once a week andhas the effect of 100 people working for 3 weeks fie each 30 minutes played. Would be great for constructing a soundstage when arriving at a new village to play a concert.and I'm sure I can find other creative uses for it.

horn of Valhalla: once a week I can summon a group of around 5 barbarians to fight for me for one hour, can you say instant mosh pit.

horn of blasting: does 5 de 6 sonic damage per use. And for only 20,000, however for each use after the first there is a cumulative 20 percent chance the horn will explode. But still BASS CANNON!