PDA

View Full Version : A question of Fire and Ice

Fawsto
2013-11-29, 03:32 PM
Flash question here, folks! My DM casted the rule of ugly on achieving Fire and Cold subtype on the same creature. I know, there is no rule against it and yes, I'd use the frostburn and sandstorm spells.

What I need, and my DM would allow it if I find a creature with both subtypes. I need it to be a creature with those subtypes orginaly, It can be from any Wizards source for 3.5 (Dragonlance, Eberron, Faerūn, Gods, even the Epic Level Handbook counts)!

Haste my friends! Cookies and Internets for anyone who finds me a creature ands its sourcebook!

HaikenEdge
2013-11-29, 03:36 PM
Not a creature, per se, but a Barbarian with Frozen Berserker and Blazing Berserker would be both fire and ice subtypes while raging.

Fawsto
2013-11-29, 03:38 PM
Still need a creature.

Prime32
2013-11-29, 04:13 PM
The omnimental from MM3 has the Air, Earth, Fire and Water subtypes.

EDIT: https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/eo/20060818a

Who said that you could not mix fire and water? Here is a perfectly good example: a half-water elemental red dragon. And while we're at it, we're giving it another head (the multiheaded template is my favorite). This allows us to make a cryo-based creature, which means it has the water, cold, and fire subtypes. Nothing says a creature cannot have both fire and cold subtypes (just look at Tiamat), though you may not want to make a practice of introducing such creatures into your campaign.

eggynack
2013-11-29, 04:24 PM
The omnimental from MM3 has the Air, Earth, Fire and Water subtypes.
That monster doesn't contain both subtypes in question, as it's missing the cold subtype. However, as an elemental with the air subtype, the omnimental qualifies for the orglash template, which gives it the cold subtype. That might work.

unseenmage
2013-11-29, 09:20 PM
Fire Giant Skeleton I believe gets both immunities IIRC.

Jeff the Green
2013-11-30, 12:25 AM
Orglash (UE) smoke paraelemental (MotP). Orglash is a template that can be applied to any elemental with the air subtype and the smoke paraelemental is an elemental with the air and fire templates.

If you're picky about the fact that MotP is 3.0, omnimental (MM3) works too, and I think there might be other (air, fire) elementals too.

Chronos
2013-11-30, 09:45 AM
I think Tiamat is probably the best example, since that doesn't require template-stacking (it sounds like the OP's DM would just rule that creatures with one subtype are ineligible for templates that grant the other). That is, if Tiamat actually does have both subtypes-- I can't find stats for Tiamat herself, but her aspect, from Dragon Magic, has no subtype other than [extraplanar].

Urpriest
2013-11-30, 01:35 PM
I think Tiamat is probably the best example, since that doesn't require template-stacking (it sounds like the OP's DM would just rule that creatures with one subtype are ineligible for templates that grant the other). That is, if Tiamat actually does have both subtypes-- I can't find stats for Tiamat herself, but her aspect, from Dragon Magic, has no subtype other than [extraplanar].

Yeah, her deity stats in Deities and Demigods don't have both subtypes either.