PDA

View Full Version : Trophy/Slave Hunter

Gwazi Magnum
2013-11-29, 06:27 PM
Basically what would you suggest for a character built around slave catching, slave trading, and collecting trophies from kills (May it be a Hydra Head, or an actual Hydra).

Also ways to properly contain and control said trophies and slaves.

Preferably this is a Martial Based character but anything works.

Zombulian
2013-11-29, 06:30 PM
Basically what would you suggest for a character built around slave catching, slave trading, and collecting trophies from kills (May it be a Hydra Head, or an actual Hydra).

Also ways to properly contain and control said trophies and slaves.

Preferably this is a Martial Based character but anything works.

Thayan Slaver/Leviathan Hunter?

Gwazi Magnum
2013-11-29, 06:38 PM
Thayan Slaver/Leviathan Hunter?

Thayan Slaver maybe. But I see little point that going farther than 2 levels in it.

Leviathan Hunter, I know it fits the concept well. But it seems to restricted to certain types of creatures rather than trophies over all.

Plus, the bonuses we get from them are minimal.

unseenmage
2013-11-29, 07:53 PM
My last trophy hunter made Effigies of all the cool creatures he found.
Well, due to cashflow issues he made blueprints for effigies mostly.

Though asking the Shadow Dragon to pose for a blueprint won him his life once.

Telonius
2013-11-29, 08:03 PM
There's a Trophy Collector feat from PHB2. Justicar (CWar, not to be confused with Justiciar of Tyr) or Bloodhound (CAdv) would be Prestige Classes to look into.

WinWin
2013-11-29, 10:14 PM
Thayan Slavers Break Will + Bloodsoaked Intimidate is a thing. Not that effective in a protracted toe-to-toe fight, but combined with other fear, ambush and ability damage abilities, you can wear down most living creatures by repeated ambush, even if it primarily involves doing mean things to a bag of rats.

Take a look at fear optimizing builds. Invest in a sap and some manacles. Thayan Slaver has the advantage of providing fear and mind control spells (Dominate) in addition to debuffing attacks, such as Crippling Strike and Break Will

Slipperychicken
2013-11-29, 11:09 PM
+1 Merciful weapon could help with catching slaves. Same goes for nonlethal substitution (+0) metamagic. After you start dealing subdual, you just need to up your damage output.

Using some kind of CC like Entangle or nets should help keep your targets still while you beat them down.

Obviously you want Diplomacy so you can haggle better deals for your slaves.

Diovid
2013-11-30, 03:32 AM
Feats I'd suggest:

Trophy Collector (Player's Handbook II)
Snatch Trophy (Champions of Ruin)
Bloodsoaked Intimidate (Champions of Ruin)
Trophy Hunter (Dragon Magazine #332)

Gwazi Magnum
2013-11-30, 07:51 PM
My last trophy hunter made Effigies of all the cool creatures he found.
Well, due to cashflow issues he made blueprints for effigies mostly.

Though asking the Shadow Dragon to pose for a blueprint won him his life once.

I'm sorry but what are Effigies? I don't know what they are.

There's a Trophy Collector feat from PHB2. Justicar (CWar, not to be confused with Justiciar of Tyr) or Bloodhound (CAdv) would be Prestige Classes to look into.

Interesting classes, I can see uses for them. :)

Thayan Slavers Break Will + Bloodsoaked Intimidate is a thing. Not that effective in a protracted toe-to-toe fight, but combined with other fear, ambush and ability damage abilities, you can wear down most living creatures by repeated ambush, even if it primarily involves doing mean things to a bag of rats.

Take a look at fear optimizing builds. Invest in a sap and some manacles. Thayan Slaver has the advantage of providing fear and mind control spells (Dominate) in addition to debuffing attacks, such as Crippling Strike and Break Will

Wouldn't this have huge issues with fear-immune targets though?

+1 Merciful weapon could help with catching slaves. Same goes for nonlethal substitution (+0) metamagic. After you start dealing subdual, you just need to up your damage output.

Using some kind of CC like Entangle or nets should help keep your targets still while you beat them down.

Obviously you want Diplomacy so you can haggle better deals for your slaves.

Good points. I'd be the look out for stuff like this.

Feats I'd suggest:

Trophy Collector (Player's Handbook II)
Snatch Trophy (Champions of Ruin)
Bloodsoaked Intimidate (Champions of Ruin)
Trophy Hunter (Dragon Magazine #332)

Those don't really seem to have any real function though rather than open one means of making an Intimidate check.

Most just seem to give you the ability to have a trophy, which I can just RP without a feat telling me I could. It's like having a feat allowing me to put stuff in a bag, or a feat saying I can buy stuff with gold.

unseenmage
2013-11-30, 08:10 PM
I'm sorry but what are Effigies? I don't know what they are.

An Effigy is a type of player creatable Construct that is basically a magic robot copy of any corporeal aberration, animal, dragon, giant, humanoid, magical beast, monstrous humanoid, or vermin. The template can be found in Complete Arcane page 152.

One neat thing with them is making Effigys of humanoids with class levels you meet. The Effigy comes out as a 1 HD Construct that looks vaguely like the person you modeled it after. It doesn't do much more than provide you with a magic robot mannequin; but it's fun and relatively cheap.

Blackhawk748
2013-11-30, 08:18 PM
Kingdoms of Kalamar has the Dread Slaver, its got a special grabble attack and does 1d2 wisdom damage with a whip as well as a few other goodies.

Scarce
2013-12-01, 12:20 AM
Generally, in my campaigns, I use Bloodhound (from Complete Adventurer) as a sort of freelance bounty-hunter type. They have a lot of solid abilities for bringing their catch alive, and tracking them almost anywhere. The fluff of tracking down 'wrongdoers' to tracking down 'runaways' is incredibly mutable, especially if slavery is legal in your setting.

EugeneVoid
2013-12-01, 02:25 AM
Fluff
Play a warblade.
Say that you took their heads.

AlanBruce
2013-12-01, 04:34 AM
Is it a PC or NPC? I built a trophy hunter once- more like a hired assassin, whose extraplanar reputation as a hunter made him the best choice to hunt down a particular PC.

An astral stalker (MM3) with levels in ghost faced killer (C. Adv).

The guys has throat darts which can paralyze his opponents. With a high BAB, he should be able to toss ore than one from hiding. Plus, he can go invisible (or is it ethereal?), thus gaining SA on those who cannot see him.

Enter paralysis throat darts from the shadows + SA (and Craven, if you want to be really nasty).

It should drop at least 1 PC and, because the astral stalker has unearthly grace, bonus to AC and saves from charisma, making it harder to hit and affect with spells.

Plus, the idea of one of these guys sending some letter to the PC announcing his imminent death is terrifying alone. The guys are excellent trackers.

Gwazi Magnum
2013-12-01, 08:25 AM
An Effigy is a type of player creatable Construct that is basically a magic robot copy of any corporeal aberration, animal, dragon, giant, humanoid, magical beast, monstrous humanoid, or vermin. The template can be found in Complete Arcane page 152.

One neat thing with them is making Effigys of humanoids with class levels you meet. The Effigy comes out as a 1 HD Construct that looks vaguely like the person you modeled it after. It doesn't do much more than provide you with a magic robot mannequin; but it's fun and relatively cheap.

That is interesting, I can basically spend gold on making new characters as constructs :P

Kingdoms of Kalamar has the Dread Slaver, its got a special grabble attack and does 1d2 wisdom damage with a whip as well as a few other goodies.

I don't have my books/pdfs atm and google fails me on finding the class detailed online :/

Generally, in my campaigns, I use Bloodhound (from Complete Adventurer) as a sort of freelance bounty-hunter type. They have a lot of solid abilities for bringing their catch alive, and tracking them almost anywhere. The fluff of tracking down 'wrongdoers' to tracking down 'runaways' is incredibly mutable, especially if slavery is legal in your setting.

It is interesting, but I find it's only real bonuses is skill bonuses (On marks only) and non-lethal damage. Both seem easy to gain on their own.

Other than Scent but that's not until late level.

Fluff
Play a warblade.
Say that you took their heads.

Why Warblade though?

Is it a PC or NPC? I built a trophy hunter once- more like a hired assassin, whose extraplanar reputation as a hunter made him the best choice to hunt down a particular PC.

An astral stalker (MM3) with levels in ghost faced killer (C. Adv).

The guys has throat darts which can paralyze his opponents. With a high BAB, he should be able to toss ore than one from hiding. Plus, he can go invisible (or is it ethereal?), thus gaining SA on those who cannot see him.

Enter paralysis throat darts from the shadows + SA (and Craven, if you want to be really nasty).

It should drop at least 1 PC and, because the astral stalker has unearthly grace, bonus to AC and saves from charisma, making it harder to hit and affect with spells.

Plus, the idea of one of these guys sending some letter to the PC announcing his imminent death is terrifying alone. The guys are excellent trackers.

This is meant to be a PC.

Thurbane
2013-12-01, 08:47 AM
The Trophy Collector feat from PHB2 fitted perfectly with the fluff of a character I had once, but reading the benefits, it seemed a bit of a waste of a feat.

unseenmage
2013-12-01, 01:30 PM
That is interesting, I can basically spend gold on making new characters as constructs :P

Kind of. They're unintelligent and don't gain xp or levels. And even if you did make them Intelligent it's up to the DM if they could gain levels or not. Usually not.

EugeneVoid
2013-12-01, 03:40 PM
Why Warblade Though?

Because Warblades are teh beast3st

No, but seriously. Best martial class ever.

Blackhawk748
2013-12-01, 03:56 PM
Why Warblade though?

D12 HD, full BaB, all kinds of fun maneuvers, actually has a decent skill selection.

Warblades are pretty sweet, though i will say, not for everyone.

Gwazi Magnum
2013-12-01, 05:48 PM
How would you guys suggest a Slaver Build if he was a full caster instead of a Martial Character?

Main things are need are:
-Non Lethal Damage Means
-Mind Control/Enchanting Spells
-Ways to contain slaves (Both typical and magically powerful ex: Nymph, Fairy, Hydra etc.)

@Warblade: I know it's a really good class, it's just a matter of it's uses in slave catching/trading and tracking.

Kind of. They're unintelligent and don't gain xp or levels. And even if you did make them Intelligent it's up to the DM if they could gain levels or not. Usually not.

So basically copies of characters but no way to increase in power level afterwards?

Thurbane
2013-12-01, 08:21 PM
How would you guys suggest a Slaver Build if he was a full caster instead of a Martial Character?

Main things are need are:
-Non Lethal Damage Means
-Mind Control/Enchanting Spells
-Ways to contain slaves (Both typical and magically powerful ex: Nymph, Fairy, Hydra etc.)
Beguiler has most of that built right in.

Containment can be done with magic items, mostly.

Zombulian
2013-12-01, 08:29 PM
Beguiler has most of that built right in.

Containment can be done with magic items, mostly.

Beguiler into Mindbener? I'm not sure if they qualify, but Mindbender could work quite well I would think.

EugeneVoid
2013-12-01, 08:52 PM
+1 to Mindbender/Beguiler

Grab mindsight and you can find all the sentient slaves you need.

Thurbane
2013-12-02, 04:02 AM
Beguiler into Mindbener? I'm not sure if they qualify, but Mindbender could work quite well I would think.
Yep, Mindbender is an awesome dip for a Beguiler.