View Full Version : OOTS #933 - The Discussion Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

The Giant
2013-11-29, 06:35 PM
New comic is up.

DaggerPen
2013-11-29, 06:36 PM
Woah, perfectly timed refresh for me.

And Julio lives to pun another day! Whew.

Tarquin's "There you go! Was that so hard?" made me laugh. Glad to see everyone getting out of this. Looks like Tarquin and Laurin may be coming back after all. Guess we'll get to find out Laurin's favor after all.

Cut a rug, heh...

Morty
2013-11-29, 06:37 PM
Tarquin's going to need some ice for that burn.

The Troubadour
2013-11-29, 06:38 PM
Is it silly to write a post just to gush? Oh, whatever, I'm going to do it anyway. :-)

YES! Elan is AWESOME!

EclipseDarkSun
Same here, the last two panels were awesome in relieving my concerns that the rest raised. Julio lives to fight another day!

Boogastreehouse
I think it looks nice with a little space

Perfect.

RedWarrior0
2013-11-29, 06:39 PM
I'm prematurely in denial about what's going to happen because I can't believe things would go this well. Nope, not gonna happen.

Shale
YES! Take that, narrative convention!

And Elan ends up saving Julio's rear to cap it off - Tarquin should be proud. I mean, he won't, but he should.

johnbragg
Julio's puns trump Tarquin's genre savvy! Whoo hoo!

Rakoa
2013-11-29, 06:40 PM
Great timing.

Pokonic
Julio lives to see another day, and Tarquin get's a reminder that this isn't a neat little story where he's the main antagonist. All is good.

Gift Jeraff
Oh, if only it did hit T. If only... :smallsigh:

CoffeeIncluded
2013-11-29, 06:41 PM
Wow, things actually turned out mostly okay! I say "mostly" because of Durkon, but then again we were all expecting much worse to happen.

It's been a very long day.

Unfortunately, Tarquin's several miles over the madness horizon and accelerating; I doubt he'll pay attention to that message.

PS: Anyone who has Discworld, read (or reread) Witches Abroad in light of this whole arc.

Naomi Li
Yes! That was some excellent teamwork between Elan, the ship's crew, and Julio Scoundrel. Especially since there was a significant lack of ability to communicate between at least one group at any one time.

Faryn
Well, this one definatly made me Julioteer!

But will Tarquin learn ... Signs point to No ^^

RMS Oceanic
Yeah, that was a pretty nice rescue.

So what happens on the next half a page? Julio is pulled to safety or Tarquin fumes at being denied?

Tvtyrant
Perfect ending! Now we just need some skywhales

Skeletor
2013-11-29, 06:42 PM
Julioteer? I think we need some official art work for that.

Rakoa
2013-11-29, 06:43 PM
Yeah, that was a pretty nice rescue.

So what happens on the next half a page? Julio is pulled to safety or Tarquin fumes at being denied?

I like that you don't consider Julio being killed anyway after almost escaping, but I don't blame you. :smalltongue:

TerrickTerran
2013-11-29, 06:44 PM
Not what I expected but rather cool. Julio and Tarquin are still alive and I'm curious to see where things go.

Castamir
2013-11-29, 06:45 PM
Doesn't Laurin have anything with that range? I think she can reach Mechane itself, not to mention Julio in the first round of swinging.

Or wormhole onto its board...

oppyu
2013-11-29, 06:46 PM
Elan's a bloody legend, Laurin is still cool, Julio is still cool, Tarquin is a sad impotent spiteful little man who has completely failed.

Yendor
Awesome stuff. That's some impressive thinking by Elan.

Ailowynn
I was really worried about Scoudtel losing the carpet.

And then it happened.

And them it was okay.

Go Elan!

DaggerPen
2013-11-29, 06:47 PM
So... If Tarquin takes an army off to follow them, does that count as bringing death and destruction back to the Dwarven lands? Not only is that death and destruction coming right on Durkon's heels, but it likely wouldn't have happened without his Sending - I'd call that prophecy fulfilled.

Vemynal
yesssssss! in your face T!

JoseB
Ooooh, yeah -- Julio, you stay alive! Yay! ^.^

I love that Julio diagnoses exactly what the problem with Tarquin is: Tarquin thinks that everything revolves around him.

I have the strong feeling that that will be the key to his final defeat. This is Tarquin's weakness: He cannot conceive of the story not being all about him.

Sakgeres
How many carpets did Tarkie steal :smalleek:

Cizak
2013-11-29, 06:48 PM
Tarquin's "There you go!" speech made me laugh. :smallbiggrin: Awesome update, well worth the wait.

Realian 24601
Been lurking for a few months. Just registered. Anybody else feel like the Giant added the "Horrible taste" things as a take that to all those who speculated Laurin taking Julio as her favor?

Anyway, yes! Julio lives!

rbetieh
Julio isn't out of the woods yet. He said that it was HALF of Tarquins problem and that raises the need for Tarquin to ask what the second half is, requiring a villainous retort. Which of course leads to a heroic death.

Dun dun duuuuuun

AdmiralCheez
That was a beautiful escape right there. Just proving again why Julio is one of my favorite characters

Haldir
2013-11-29, 06:49 PM
Thanks for working during the holiday, Mr. Burlew! All the raving fans are in your debt.

faustin
Just me,or Elan is making an habit of thinking ahead of Roy?

DigoDragon
Julio has style. :smallamused:

It does sadden me a bit that this ends the carpet puns for now. I was totally eating them up.
Love the puns.

terryhe
Doesn't Laurin have anything with that range? I think she can reach Mechane itself, not to mention Julio in the first round of swinging.

Or wormhole onto its board...

She didn't have anything that could reach them on the escaping dinosaur. And even if there aren't risks wormholing onto a moving target in midair, they don't know what else is on that ship to outnumber the two of them. Doubt she'd take that risk for a favor.

Adaon Nightwind
2013-11-29, 06:50 PM
That is what i call Teamwork. Thinking about others, working together, trusting each other to look out for one's back.

What a beautifull counterpoint to Team Tarquin.

Brilliant.

Pendulous
Julio lives (for now), and Elan impresses his mentor. Something is about to go horribly wrong. I'm guessing a nicely timed arrow in the chest as the airship gets away.

Either that, or hopefully we're done with the desert scene. Maybe they take it back to a city to regroup.

Traab
Ouch, "You always think everything is about you" Nice parting shot there! (Do I get a bonus to damage for that pun?)

Azurome
2013-11-29, 06:51 PM
Oohhhh, that burn.

Another carpet dead. :(

Ramien
2013-11-29, 06:51 PM
Awesome. Pure awesome, both on the parts of Elan and Julio Scoundrél. I am a little worried that Tarquin will pull something out of his sleeve to hit them while they run and ruin the line, but I don't think that will happen.

You know, Tarquin is showing more and more how self-centered he is. He was prepared to pun-duel Elan, because that was part of his story. But pun-dueling Scoundrél is right out, even though it would be an awesome fight scene, because it's not the story he wants to tell.

Sakgeres
2013-11-29, 06:53 PM
Spotted missing dagger.. on last panel. Or was it supposed to be buried in sand?

E^G
2013-11-29, 06:53 PM
I wonder what they could have onboard that would intimidate team Tarq from following?
Just fading PP & home turf advantage?
They're pretty close to killing OotS ... though to avoid an anticlimactic debacle Tarquin needs to destroy the bodies as well. Maybe they're not confident they could kill and destroy before having to run -- which would ruin an already broken scene.

Maybe Tarq just has a breakdown after being exposed to so much narrative disorder all at once... :smalleek::smallsmile:

RMS Oceanic
2013-11-29, 06:54 PM
Just me,or Elan is making an habit of thinking ahead of Roy?

This is a dramatic rescue scene. If there's one thing Elan knows more about than Roy, it's theatrics. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0119.html) Roy might have been able to come up with some fairly standard way of rescuing him, but it wouldn't be as cool as this.

Caex
2013-11-29, 06:54 PM
Heh, exit stage up.

I was really concerned that T was going to finish Julio for a minute there.

Turgon9357
2013-11-29, 07:01 PM
Sure, Tarquin or Lauren may have something to knock Julio out of the air...but that was an escape if I ever saw one. Unless there's something else we've forgotten, I deem him safe.

Procyonpi
2013-11-29, 07:03 PM
So was anyone else hoping for Julio to say "don't get cocky" after "nice shot, kid?"

RMS Oceanic
2013-11-29, 07:04 PM
Sure, Tarquin or Lauren may have something to knock Julio out of the air...but that was an escape if I ever saw one. Unless there's something else we've forgotten, I deem him safe.

The last card I see Tarquin attempting to play is to have Laurin Wormhole or D-Door aboard the Mechane. That would probably be very dangerous though.

Shining Wrath
2013-11-29, 07:07 PM
It's not about you, Tarquin. Excellent. And Élan took command of the situation, not Roy. And I called it that the heavy weapons aboard the Mechane would play a role.

Julio is going to survive. Tarquin winds up with NOTHING.

HZ514
2013-11-29, 07:08 PM
Bandana was happy to see Elan alive? Must mean she always secretly overtly wanted to sleep with him and have his children. Her uncontrollable lust-love and the fact that a dagger has been drawn on her waist mean she is currently plotting to kill Haley to have Elan all to herself. All of this has been conclusively proven by this strip because there is no possible other explanation for the events that took place in panel #2.

Ahem. More seriously, it's wonderful watching Tarquin continue to degrade in his anger. Not caring about wordplay? That's crazy talk. And Tarquin has some form of eyebrow-featuring expression in every single one of the 7 strips in which he appears. That must be some sort of record.

Eugenitor
2013-11-29, 07:10 PM
Tarquin's really bitching about narrative conventions when he just walked into a staple of Saturday morning cartoons?

"I'll get those blasted turtles! I hate that hedgehog! NEXT TIME, GADGET! NEXT TIIIIME!"

Etheolin
2013-11-29, 07:11 PM
Totally awesome, Giant.

"You always think that everything that happens is about you!"

Absolutely brilliant! Though I was worried there for a minute when Laurin's inner-fangirl disappeared...:smalleek: Everything turned out for the best.:smallcool:

Thank you for making my day.:smallbiggrin:

Kish
2013-11-29, 07:12 PM
Tarquin has some form of eyebrow-featuring expression in every single one of the 7 strips in which he appears. That must be some sort of record.
If I had room in my sig, I would seriously consider sigging that.

Zelkon
The "rug puns" line got me good. The comic is really picking up now. I think it may have lost some steam for a few strips after the rift opened, but it's back up to full power now, and even above average (which is a high bar).

Oko and Qailee
BURN!

Way to go Julio

hajo
2013-11-29, 07:13 PM
I'm amazed how Elan is familar with the Mechane, its weapons and crew.
After all, he just got one (http://http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0391.html) single 20-minute training-session :smallbiggrin:

warmachine
Me thinks Rich Burlew is planning a successor strip to Order of the Stick.

Traab
So is Tarquins theme song "You're so Vain!"?

skaddix
2013-11-29, 07:14 PM
LOL that was funny. Laurin certainly seems to be the strongest member of Team Tarquin.

Lossoth
2013-11-29, 07:14 PM
That was beautiful. Well done, Giant.

Perhaps the half-page following this one will be bonus material, just a shot of Tarquin watching the ship fly away, Darth Maul style.

Metahuman1
2013-11-29, 07:15 PM
I do so love watching T get his face rubbed into the sand of his own plans.

Oh, and just WAIT till Sebine get's in on the action upstairs again.

See, here's the thing, I don't think the IFC care about T or anything that happens to him, and at this point there at most worried that the sheer intensity of his uncontrolled desire to make the entire universe all about him might screw up the plan, so I'm sure they'd be happy to let him and his party members get taken out of play, permanently.

Kingault
2013-11-29, 07:15 PM
So... If Tarquin takes an army off to follow them, does that count as bringing death and destruction back to the Dwarven lands? Not only is that death and destruction coming right on Durkon's heels, but it likely wouldn't have happened without his Sending - I'd call that prophecy fulfilled.

Brilliant.
I wouldn't be surprised if that actually happens and Durkon's vampirism was just a red herring. Then again, both count.

CaDzilla
2013-11-29, 07:16 PM
Ha, in the second to last panel, it looks like Tarquin's scratching his ass

Oryutzen
2013-11-29, 07:16 PM
So, not only does Julio have the best puns, he also has the best burns. Nice.

Proud Tortoise
2013-11-29, 07:17 PM
Wait, doesn't it? I thought Tarquin was the hero of this story. :smallconfused::smalltongue:

Xzenu
2013-11-29, 07:18 PM
Really nice zig-zagging with Julio's fate.

Guess this book is pretty much finished now. Maybe one or two strips to go?

Amphiox
2013-11-29, 07:18 PM
It is interesting that Laurin seems to have used another non-damaging disabling attack on Julio there.

So far, except for the Disintegrate-equivalent she used on Nale's corpse, she hasn't used a single damage-dealing skill in combat that we've seen.

Could that be a thing for her? One of those cultured-evil-hypocrisies? An "I-shall-not-shed-blood-with-my-powers-I'll-just-reduce-you-to-quivering-gibbets-of-confused-(but-entirely-physically-unharmed!)-loopy-goo-so-that-my-allies-can-gibbet-you" thing?

Laniius
2013-11-29, 07:19 PM
Unrelated to anything, but I hear Julio in my head like this guy (http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Varrick).

shadowpriest
2013-11-29, 07:19 PM
Wow, Tarquin did bring a dagger in a rapier fight! Looks like Nale inherited something from his old man :smallcool:

Oryutzen
2013-11-29, 07:21 PM
It is interesting that Laurin seems to have used another non-damaging disabling attack on Julio there.

So far, except for the Disintegrate-equivalent she used on Nale's corpse, she hasn't used a single damage-dealing skill in combat that we've seen.

Could that be a thing for her? One of those cultured-evil-hypocrisies? An "I-shall-not-shed-blood-with-my-powers-I'll-just-reduce-you-to-quivering-gibbets-of-confused-(but-entirely-physically-unharmed!)-loopy-goo-so-that-my-allies-can-gibbet-you" thing?

That, or she likes to disable first before setting up the really nasty stuff. And every psion discipline has some real nasty stuff in it, even teleportation (instant lobotomy), so...

JHShadon
2013-11-29, 07:22 PM
Unrelated to anything, but I hear Julio in my head like this guy (http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Varrick).

"Bandana, do the thing."

jidasfire
2013-11-29, 07:26 PM
Welp, I've never been good at guessing how these things go, but my suspicion is that the Order is safe away for now, and we're going to witness all the mistakes and enemies Tarquin made this arc come crashing down around his ears. After all, Tarquin's current enemy list includes Ian and Geoff, Amun-Zora, Gannji and Enor, Sabine, and (if he still lives) Thog. Ordinarily, I'd say Tarquin could handle most or all of these guys without too much trouble between himself and his team, but given that his casters are either dead, damaged, or depleted, his backup warriors not nearby, his best weapon is gone and he's down one of his personal armies, I'd say a concentrated series of attacks may end up rendering him powerless and disgraced. I can't say what Laurin's favor from Tarquin will be, but I suspect it will also end up biting him in the behind here as well. I personally think that would be a nice way to end the arc. That, plus Thog finally getting his puppy.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-11-29, 07:32 PM
Julio's completely oblivious to the irony and hypocrisy in that last panel, isn't he?

Cynric
2013-11-29, 07:32 PM
I love how much Elan is in his element (Elan-ment?) here. Ever since they got to the pyramid he's been really pulling his weight. He hasn't stopped treating everything like a story, but he's far more clued in as to what manner of story it is. That's some great character specific character development.

Cynric
2013-11-29, 07:34 PM
PS: Anyone who has Discworld, read (or reread) Witches Abroad in light of this whole arc.

I've read Witches Abroad, it's a great book. Are you referring to the importance/unimportance of narrative, or something more specific?

TheYell
2013-11-29, 07:35 PM
I wonder if Elan's going to knock the bad guys down with the prop wash

NerdyKris
2013-11-29, 07:36 PM
Julio's completely oblivious to the irony and hypocrisy in that last panel, isn't he?

What hypocrisy? Where is he thinking everything is about him?

Paseo H
2013-11-29, 07:38 PM
Nice having Laurin subvert our expectations like that.

You know, it seems to me like she's really dangerous. Not just in terms of power, but with her teamup of other members of Team Tarquin, people probably pay more attention to the more obviously evil person in the duo, rather than the 'mild and matter of fact until it's time to mess a sucka up' Laurin.

And you know, people thought Malack was a bro for a long time, until all that unpleasantness of before happened.

Shining Wrath
2013-11-29, 07:41 PM

By coming to help Elan he proves he knows it's not ALL about him. A great deal about him, certainly; but not ALL.

Sith_Happens
2013-11-29, 07:42 PM
On one hand, this getaway screams "has just gone successfully" to me. On the other hand, Laurin still has a standing agreement to help kill Roy and a dramatic fight on the deck of an airship is just one Dimension Door or Wormhole away...

Nimin
2013-11-29, 07:43 PM

It seems more of a tactical thing to me, like "I'll boost my low level stun-inducing spells into oblivion and let my teammates coup de grace".
It'd be just if not more effective than directly attacking people, and cost less PP overall.

What Irony and hypocrisy? :smallconfused:

runeghost
How many carpets did Tarkie steal :smalleek:

At at guess, seven (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0817.html). :smallbiggrin:

Boogastreehouse

The thing that's really great about this is that the traits that Tarquin possesses that really seem to infuriate everyone—namely his incredible tactical mind, his awareness of his own incredible tactical mind, and the resulting smugness and self-centeredness that result from that awareness—are the same traits that provide the key to his defeat that are the most satisfying to exploit.

Tarquin's a great character, though, and I hope he comes back at some point. I eagerly look forward to his next display of awesomeness-spiraling-into-fatal-hubris.

Lesser Naboo
2013-11-29, 07:44 PM
Back when he was training Elan, didn't Julio acknowledge that he was playing the wise mentor role to a young hero?

Anarion
An thus, perhaps, the Tarquin arc comes to an end? I wouldn't put it past Laurin or Tarquin to whip out a parting shot though.

KillianHawkeye
Heh, gotta say, that was a pretty nice move with the ballista and rope escape. :smallamused:

Marsala
2013-11-29, 07:45 PM

Nah, Julio's fully aware that he's just a side-character in Elan's story with Elan himself not being a primary hero, either.

Tarquin's probably in denial that PCs even exist.

King of Nowhere
2013-11-29, 07:46 PM
ah, the dialogue is frickin' brilliant!
only tarquin could ask for a time-out during a swordfight for the reason that "there are underlying problems with the structure of the scene". as well as appreciating that elan is trying to kill him.

Akritas
2013-11-29, 07:47 PM
I have little knowledge of the 'rules' of this game or world, but is there anything would prevent Laurin from simply opening a portal onto the airship the same way she did in front of the dino?

astralmeson
2013-11-29, 07:48 PM
I died at Laurin's line, as well as Julio's rebuttal to Tarquin.

Shining Wrath
On one hand, this getaway screams "has just gone successfully" to me. On the other hand, Laurin still has a standing agreement to help kill Roy and a dramatic fight on the deck of an airship is just one Dimension Door or Wormhole away...

I don't think she could carry Tarquin with her via Dimension Door. Her Wormhole power is non-3.5 standard so maybe - but the risks of dropping onto the deck of an unknown airship to face Julio (near equal to Tarquin), his crew, and the OotS including that vampire that just drained 2 of her favorite levels seems high.

Unless one of them can crash the Mechane it's a clean get away.

quasit
Now, I'm curious about the second half...would be something like "being a prick" maybe?

She didn't have anything that could reach them on the escaping dinosaur. And even if there aren't risks wormholing onto a moving target in midair, they don't know what else is on that ship to outnumber the two of them. Doubt she'd take that risk for a favor.

Agree. Also, Laurin might have had temporally (and conveniently) lost use of wormhole due to the 2 negative levels bestow'd by Durkon at 931.
(in addition to the standar effects, negative levels affect psionic casters by draining a few power points and disabling one of his higher level powers until removed.)

Everyl
2013-11-29, 07:49 PM
It's probably a sign that I've been spending too much time on the forums when my main reaction to this strip was joy at watching Laurin psi blast all the theories about her being madly in lust with Julio into oblivion.

Edit: Stupid autocorrect

Lesser Naboo
I have little knowledge of the 'rules' of this game or world, but is there anything would prevent Laurin from simply opening a portal onto the airship the same way she did in front of the dino?
She probably could. But she has used a lot of psionics this battle, and is probably low on energy. Facing off against everyone on the Mechane when not at full strength would be very dangerous.

mistformsquirrl
Giant, that was awesome hahaha, badassery and hilarity abound in equal measure in this one <^_^> I like.

Giggling Ghast
2013-11-29, 07:50 PM
Ha! That was excellent! I just hope Tarquin doesn't suddenly pull out a hidden death ray or something.

Let the old bastard fume in impotent rage, Rich.

link55557
2013-11-29, 07:54 PM
Oh snap, Julio. That was a sick...

:smallcool:

Rugburn.

...I'll show myself out.

The Kind Knido
Can Tarquin just please die? :smallsigh:

bguy
It's not about you, Tarquin. Excellent. And Élan took command of the situation, not Roy. And I called it that the heavy weapons aboard the Mechane would play a role.

Julio is going to survive. Tarquin winds up with NOTHING.

The irony is Tarquin actually got what he wanted, he just doesn't know it. Elan stepped up and took charge while flat out ignoring Roy.

Arcas Corricol
2013-11-29, 07:56 PM
that's right tarquin you egotistic son of a britches, what's next you gonna try beat kaiba at being egotistic

Gnome Alone
2013-11-29, 07:56 PM
Julio isn't out of the woods yet. He said that it was HALF of Tarquins problem and that raises the need for Tarquin to ask what the second half is, requiring a villainous retort. Which of course leads to a heroic death.

Dun dun duuuuuun

The second half of his problem is that he's a ****ing sociopath and almost all he ever does is hurt people in one way or another.

Lexible
2013-11-29, 07:57 PM
Tee hee: "exit—stage up" Nice pun on "upstage.":smallbiggrin:

Boogastreehouse

Welp, I've never been good at guessing how these things go, but my suspicion is that the Order is safe away for now, and we're going to witness all the mistakes and enemies Tarquin made this arc come crashing down around his ears. After all, Tarquin's current enemy list includes Ian and Geoff, Amun-Zora, Gannji and Enor, Sabine, and (if he still lives) Thog. Ordinarily, I'd say Tarquin could handle most or all of these guys without too much trouble between himself and his team, but given that his casters are either dead, damaged, or depleted, his backup warriors not nearby, his best weapon is gone and he's down one of his personal armies, I'd say a concentrated series of attacks may end up rendering him powerless and disgraced. I can't say what Laurin's favor from Tarquin will be, but I suspect it will also end up biting him in the behind here as well. I personally think that would be a nice way to end the arc. That, plus Thog finally getting his puppy.

As much as I'd like to Tarquin return at a later time, his defeat now, at the hands of a band of "nobodies," while his son flies off, oblivious,* to do more important things, would be pretty good, too.

*Alright, more oblivious than usual.

Byzantine2
I've read Witches Abroad, it's a great book. Are you referring to the importance/unimportance of narrative, or something more specific?

Think of the villain as Tarquin and you'll get it.

zimmerwald1915
2013-11-29, 07:58 PM
Y'know, after all that, I think we've seen the last of this fight's turnabouts. The Order mostly runs away or has mixed victories after all, and now they're finally in a position where they can run away from a mixed victory.

Amphiox
2013-11-29, 07:59 PM
A minor side point here, but based on dialogue so far it seems as if Laurin had not met Julio in person before, and is unaware of Julio's prior history with Tarquin.

And that means that Laurin likely has not been in attendance for any of Tarquin's disrupted weddings.

Interesting implications on the nature of their relationship.

ti'esar
2013-11-29, 08:00 PM
:smallbiggrin:

Elan's a bloody legend, Laurin is still cool, Julio is still cool, Tarquin is a sad impotent spiteful little man who has completely failed.

My thoughts exactly.

Although I have to say, I'm really surprised at the implication that Tarquin is going to survive this arc and become a recurring villain. I've been saying for ages that given the way he's been built up, he can't really retain the same threat level after suffering a defeat the way all the other villains can because the collapse would be too spectacular. And the last twenty or so strips have certainly lived up to that.

karkus
2013-11-29, 08:00 PM
*Quickly thanks the F5 key*

Tee hee: "exit—stage up" Nice pun on "upstage.":smallbiggrin:

I think that that was an unintentional pun, but it was a beautiful line nonetheless :smalltongue:

Joseph_Lavode
2013-11-29, 08:01 PM
So Julio helps Elan get away, and then Elan helps Julio get away. Nice! :smallbiggrin:

Hopefully this strip puts a stop to the creepy Laurin/Julio speculation, but I may be asking too much there. :smallwink:

i6uuaq
2013-11-29, 08:02 PM
Lol'ed at the Julioteers.

Although I would have preferred "Scoundrel's scoundrels". :smallcool:

Byzantine2
2013-11-29, 08:02 PM

When Durkon touch her back in 931 she would have lost some of her upper-tier powers. The forum seems to agree it is likely the portal was lost.

Esclados
2013-11-29, 08:03 PM
Wonder if we get to see what Laurin's favor is now.

Shining Wrath
2013-11-29, 08:05 PM
The irony is Tarquin actually got what he wanted, he just doesn't know it. Elan stepped up and took charge while flat out ignoring Roy.

But 5 minutes from now it will be Roy deciding the course of action for the OotS. Élan could give Bandana orders only because she knew him - had Roy given identical orders there would have been a fatally long "Who are you?" delay.

Nice character growth for Élan, yes, but it remains Roy's story.

Angel Bob
2013-11-29, 08:05 PM
Tarquin's really channeling Roy in that seventh panel, isn't he? As much as I don't care for TT (save Malack), nice to see their dysfunctional side for a moment.

rodneyAnonymous
2013-11-29, 08:06 PM
Interesting implications on the nature of [Tarquin and Laurin's] relationship.

I don't think so, it'd be weird for a high-level adviser of one empire to be invited to the wedding of a high-level adviser of an enemy empire.

Nimin
2013-11-29, 08:08 PM
I don't think so, it'd be weird for a high-level adviser of one empire to be invited to the wedding of a high-level adviser of an enemy empire.

Considering they constantly switched sides and formations it's really not that unlikely.

quasit
2013-11-29, 08:10 PM

According to how the moderate-to-serious wound inflicted to him on the previous comic looks healed (just superficially maybe? else that regeneration of his is pretty metal), I'm afraid that not today :smallsigh:

The Kind Knido
2013-11-29, 08:15 PM
According to how the moderate-to-serious wound inflicted to him on the previous comic looks healed (just superficially maybe? else that regeneration of his is pretty metal), I'm afraid that not today :smallsigh:

Not if that freakin' Ballista would have just hit him.

Altessia
2013-11-29, 08:15 PM
*Applauds*

Did Tarquin stopping the puns ruin Julio's attacks?

Rakoa
2013-11-29, 08:16 PM

Considering The Mechane is moving, and her wormholes appear to not, it would probably not work/be very dangerous if attempted.

JessmanCA
2013-11-29, 08:18 PM
end of book?

Amphiox
2013-11-29, 08:21 PM
Considering they constantly switched sides and formations it's really not that unlikely.

Also when, as we have directly observed, their various manipulations not infrequently involved 2 of their empires allying or cooperating temporarily, pretextually against the third....

Spacewolf
2013-11-29, 08:22 PM
To be perfectly honest here even with Tarquin out of the picture fore the moment does anyone really thing he can be defeated by the OOTS? He didn't even break a sweat here apart from the loss of Malack which may or may not have been deemed acceptable losses by him. Or is Tarquins Empire just going to be deemed a necessary evil for the rest of of the world to deal with?

gerryq
2013-11-29, 08:26 PM
LOL that was funny. Laurin certainly seems to be the strongest member of Team Tarquin.

Much as everyone wants to see Tarquin taken down a peg, I think this showed him as pretty hardcore too, as well as Laurin. TT are strong, and they do not make many mistakes, especially when their lives are on the line.

Malack was in an unlucky situation, isolated in the desert sun and having used his spare Protection spell. None of the others have such specific vulnerabilities. And the ones who killed Malack are already dead.

Roland Itiative
2013-11-29, 08:29 PM
About the whole wormhole situation, if Laurin still has the ability to cast it, and it can be cast in the air, she should be able to easily crash the Mechane. She would just need to cast one end of the portal in front of the ship (it must not be easy to manoeuvre or stop it mid-flight, and we've seen the wormholes are quite large) and the other end in the ground level. I'm running on a few assumptions here, and I definitely don't think this is what's going to happen, but I think it's less about it being impossible than about Laurin probably being close to reaching her limit.

They'd still have the issue of fighting the whole crew, including the Order with a few rounds to get themselves back on their feet and Julio, so it may not be advisable.

Amphiox
2013-11-29, 08:31 PM
About the whole wormhole situation, if Laurin still has the ability to cast it, and it can be cast in the air, she should be able to easily crash the Mechane. She would just need to cast one end of the portal in front of the ship (it must not be easy to manoeuvre or stop it mid-flight, and we've seen the wormholes are quite large) and the other end in the ground level.

They'd still have the issue of fighting the whole crew, including the Order with a few rounds to get themselves back on their feet and Julio, so it may not be advisable.

It would also depend on how far away from her person she can cast it.

Knight.Anon
I hope that Roy and the gang can finally call it a day. Belkar looks like he's ready for a break.

Caex
Has anyone started a Bandana fan club?

Ramien
A minor side point here, but based on dialogue so far it seems as if Laurin had not met Julio in person before, and is unaware of Julio's prior history with Tarquin.

And that means that Laurin likely has not been in attendance for any of Tarquin's disrupted weddings.

Eh, I wouldn't read too much into it. Unless they'd switched partners for that particular event, they're 'supposed' to be enemies, after all, so it'd be weird for the main advisors from the Empire of Sweat to come and visit the wedding of the General for the Empire of Blood.

Paisley
Julio's parting taunt was very satisfying. Quite a dashing exit for the dashing swordsman.

On an unrelated note, Elan's stomach wound seems to have mysteriously vanished.

Cynric
2013-11-29, 08:32 PM
Think of the villain as Tarquin and you'll get it.

Ahhh, I see. Cheers dude.

ti'esar
2013-11-29, 08:33 PM
Not if that freakin' Ballista would have just hit him.

I'm pretty sure Tarquin can easily survive a direct hit from a ballista.

pendell
2013-11-29, 08:37 PM
Neat exit.

Okay, so how do they keep Laurin from portaling to the deck of the mechane?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Roland Itiative
2013-11-29, 08:38 PM
It would also depend on how far away from her person she can cast it.

That should not be much of an issue, since she brought an army from Bleedingham to the Windy Canyon.

NerdyKris
2013-11-29, 08:38 PM

Not really. Even mixing it up, it's believable that she was probably working for the enemy of the nation he was working for during the weddings that were disrupted. They've only been doing this for 20 years maximum. That doesn't allow for a lot of switching off. She might have even never worked with him.

Also, given how nonchalantly he treated the assumption that Nale murdered his latest wife, I think you might be overstating the emotional content of his weddings.

:smallbiggrin:
Although I have to say, I'm really surprised at the implication that Tarquin is going to survive this arc and become a recurring villain. I've been saying for ages that given the way he's been built up, he can't really retain the same threat level after suffering a defeat the way all the other villains can because the collapse would be too spectacular. And the last twenty or so strips have certainly lived up to that.

Given that Xykon's army is still in Gobbotopia, this does allow for a large battle sequence, or at least a distraction to prevent them from just dumping the entire Dwarven army on one Lich and a cleric.

Vladier
2013-11-29, 08:39 PM

I personally don't think so. It would be the same as Belkar having his prophecy fulfilled after giving Roy his Ring of Jumping +20 that caused him to die by falling damage.

I now wonder what Julio did that caused Laurin's opinion on him drop from "Fangirl with a poster on the wall" level to "Kill him at the first sight after saying something diabolically arch-villain-ish". Unless it's simply her Evil and that is simply "Disinterested enough not to object to killing him at a teammate's request" level.
Also, I like how Tarquin didn't even notice a rope that was tied to the ballista arrow. He truly doesn't notice those little details that would allow him to see the true Great Attractor of their universe. Well, lack of himself in its place, anyway.

Knight.Anon
2013-11-29, 08:42 PM
Looks like Laurin is up for a lifetime ban from the Juiloteers.

I'm betting that Julio's airship is warded, he wouldn't be much of a dashing swordsman if he couldn't get away.

Bedinsis
2013-11-29, 08:43 PM
I'm really surprised at the implication that Tarquin is going to survive this arc and become a recurring villain. I've been saying for ages that given the way he's been built up, he can't really retain the same threat level after suffering a defeat the way all the other villains can because the collapse would be too spectacular. And the last twenty or so strips have certainly lived up to that.

My pet theory is that... actually, hold on:

My pet theory is that he'll become the new Nale. We've already seen him become more unstable and showing off his self-centredness(Shut up, that's a real word!) ever since Nale perished, hinting at for all of Tarquin's disdain of Nale he seems to be at the core Nale 2.0. It also makes sense from a storytelling perspective; there already exists a story with a villain and a goal, the only role Tarquin could play this late in the story would be if he replaced an existing role. A role he accidentally assigned himself by offing one of the existing ones.

SaintRidley
2013-11-29, 08:45 PM
Oh, this was delicious.

Gnome Alone
2013-11-29, 08:47 PM
Lol'ed at the Julioteers.

Although I would have preferred "Scoundrel's scoundrels". :smallcool:

Problem with that one: His name is Scoundrél, which would be pronounced as "scownDRELL" whereas scoundrel is pronounced "SCOWNdrull," so "Scoundrél's Scoundrels" would sound like "scownDRELL's SCOWNdrulls" which doesn't flow very well. "Scoundrel's Scoundréls" would sound much better ("SCOWNdrull's scownDRELLs") but has the disadvantage of making no sense.

Ward.
2013-11-29, 08:48 PM
I have a feeling that tarqi might have been letting julio win in their past encounters purely to maintain the narrative, secindly laurin can still wormhole them onto the machine if she so chooses.

NerdyKris
2013-11-29, 08:49 PM
I now wonder what Julio did that caused Laurin's opinion on him drop from "Fangirl with a poster on the wall" level to "Kill him at the first sight after saying something diabolically arch-villain-ish". Unless it's simply her Evil and that is simply "Disinterested enough not to object to killing him at a teammate's request" level.

I feel like it was just an "I'm not a teenager anymore, so you're not a big shot" reaction. I doubt there's any big story behind it.

JackRackham
Oh, man. That was PERFECT!

Demolator
Aww yeah, off to Kraagor's gate hopefully! :smallbiggrin:

AgentofHellfire
2013-11-29, 08:50 PM
Problem with that one: His name is Scoundrél, which would be pronounced as "scownDRELL" whereas scoundrel is pronounced "SCOWNdrull," so "Scoundrél's Scoundrels" would sound like "scownDRELL's SCOWNdrulls" which doesn't flow very well. "Scoundrel's Scoundréls" would sound much better ("SCOWNdrull's scownDRELLs") but has the disadvantage of making no sense.

Actually, I personally really like the sound of "ScondrELL's SCOWNdrulls.", so...

But yeah, I personally really like Laurin's parting lines to Scoundrel.

"Did you know, I was actually a part of your fanclub?"

(Julio's response)

"I had terrible tastes when I was young."

Seriously badass.:smallbiggrin:

Zendarus
2013-11-29, 08:58 PM
I don't know if it's been asked, but: How did Elan get his chest wound healed? Off screen heal? 932 he flies away and has it, then in 933 he lands on the airship healed.

Estelindis
2013-11-29, 09:00 PM
Yes, oh my God, yes, yes, yes, YES! :smallbiggrin:

Hooray for successfully, non-tragically defying genre conventions! :smallsmile:

TheFool
2013-11-29, 09:01 PM
Woohoo! If that's mot an awesome getaway I don't know what is. I just hope that Laurin doesn't have enough PP to wormhole onto the Mechane's deck. Tarquin needs to know when to hold em and when to fold em.

Knight.Anon
2013-11-29, 09:01 PM
I'll bet Tarquin will be part of the Doom that comes to the Dwarflands. He's going to saddle up and invade.

Spoomeister
2013-11-29, 09:06 PM
Finally. Full speed ahead! Leave this sub-boss! Leave this desert! Leave this subplot! Leave this book! Go go go!

Nice update timing, given a thread that got locked earlier today. Irony.

Hilarious that the only time someone even knicks Tarquin, is the one guy who is not trying to fight him, and wasn't even trying to hit him with the ballista shot. Nice touch. Scary how out of T's league the OOTS is. Glad to see him go.

Now apart from Laurin's Favor, I'm guessing there isn't anything that can't wait for the next book, hanging plot thread-wise. (Ian Starshine, Durkula's new religious perspective, Kraagor's Gate, Team Evil, Bloodfeast... I don't think I'm missing something too major here...) So maybe 3 more strips?

Belril Duskwalk
2013-11-29, 09:08 PM
end of book?

I would expect so. That last panel just screams to be the end of a book. The valiant cavalry soaring away taunting the villain about his escape.

TheFool
2013-11-29, 09:09 PM
Thanks for working during the holiday, Mr. Burlew! All the raving fans are in your debt.

Seconded. :smallsmile:

Larch Woodbine
2013-11-29, 09:11 PM
A great job (as usual) by the Giant.

I for one can't wait to see what Tarquin has behind his back....or am I reading too much into those 2 panels?

Cizak
2013-11-29, 09:16 PM
I would expect so. That last panel just screams to be the end of a book. The valiant cavalry soaring away taunting the villain about his escape.

Nothing about it screams end of book, really. There's tons of things unresolved and every other book has ended on a strip very expressingly telling us it's the end of an arc.

Ghost Nappa
2013-11-29, 09:19 PM
Nothing about it screams end of book, really. There's tons of things unresolved and every other book has ended on a strip very expressingly telling us it's the end of an arc.

It screams denouement or double subversion on their escape leading to a second climax, but not an end.

Quild
Too bad ninth panel wasn't the last one. I would have hated the Giant though ^^

Porthos
Am I the only one worried that Julio might still be in range of a Disintergrate? :smalleek:

I mean, this IS a Half-Panel Update.

Personally I'm not gonna count Julio as being safe and sound until he is safely abroad the Mechane and Laurin calls it a day.

end of book?

We'll all know when it is the end of the book. Mostly because I am 95% sure Rich will tell us. :smallwink: Either via the actual comic update itself or in some sort of announcement.

Comics #120*, #300*, #484, and #672 all had some sort of announcement that it was the end of the book/story arc after all.

* OK, technically Comics #121 and #301 were the finishes of the first two books. But those strips were either put back in out-of-order or as an end of the book special. My overall point stands. :smallwink:

NerdyKris
2013-11-29, 09:21 PM
Finally. Full speed ahead! Leave this sub-boss! Leave this desert! Leave this subplot! Leave this book! Go go go!

I feel like calling this a subplot is just doing exactly what Tarquin is doing. This is the plot. The entire plot of the book is the plot. This is part of their journey. The idea that it's just a distraction from the larger plot is missing the entire purpose of the story and focusing on the Macguffin at the expense of the story, which is the journey of these characters. Not the end result.

sims796
2013-11-29, 09:23 PM
I feel like calling this a subplot is just doing exactly what Tarquin is doing. This is the plot. The entire plot of the book is the plot. This is part of their journey. The idea that it's just a distraction from the larger plot is missing the entire purpose of the story and focusing on the Macguffin at the expense of the story, which is the journey of these characters. Not the end result.

I, and I believe others, tend to call them subplots when they run on a bit longer than (we feel) they should. Sometimes I just say "alright, let's move on to a new area". The iffy upload schedules don't help any either, but nothing can be done about that.

DreadPirateDB
2013-11-29, 09:27 PM
Now apart from Laurin's Favor, I'm guessing there isn't anything that can't wait for the next book, hanging plot thread-wise. (Ian Starshine, Durkula's new religious perspective, Kraagor's Gate, Team Evil, Bloodfeast... I don't think I'm missing something too major here...) So maybe 3 more strips?

MiTD's missing parents? Yes, can wait.

Paladin Steve
2013-11-29, 09:29 PM
One of those rare moments in web comics where you stand up and say cheer.

pendell
2013-11-29, 09:32 PM

Oh, HECK yes. A bit sorry Mr. Burlew didn't get a holiday , though :(. As much as I love a fast update, I hope he's able to enjoy some time off.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

shockeroo
2013-11-29, 09:35 PM
Elan has lost his stomach wound since the last strip - is that intentional?

Amphiox
2013-11-29, 09:38 PM
That should not be much of an issue, since she brought an army from Bleedingham to the Windy Canyon.

But she herself was with the army in Bleedingham, and then went through the gate with them. At no point have we seen her open a gate and not be, herself, physically, within a few feet of the gate's opening.

I suppose it is possible for her to open one end right in front of her, and the other in front of the Mechane, but that means making the Mechane crash right on top of herself (and Tarquin), and she's not a HP tank.

Nimin
2013-11-29, 09:38 PM
My pet theory is that... actually, hold on:

My pet theory is that he'll become the new Nale. We've already seen him become more unstable and showing off his self-centredness(Shut up, that's a real word!) ever since Nale perished, hinting at for all of Tarquin's disdain of Nale he seems to be at the core Nale 2.0. It also makes sense from a storytelling perspective; there already exists a story with a villain and a goal, the only role Tarquin could play this late in the story would be if he replaced an existing role. A role he accidentally assigned himself by offing one of the existing ones.

Seriously, I hope not. We've already seen a decade's full of Tarquin's impervious meddling. Let's get back to Xykon now.

Ionathus
2013-11-29, 09:42 PM
Wow. That was such a clever maneuver with the harpoon, and then Julio's jab at Tarquin! Perfect. I'm constantly impressed by your writing, Giant. A+, well done. You really know how to tell a story that crosses any sort of narrow interest groups.

I mean, heck, I'm an English major, and one of my favorite stories is a stick figure comic on the internet based around a game that neither I nor any of my friends has ever played. That's skilful writing, that is.

And I just wanted to throw my two cents in on the argument: I also am betting it's the end of the arc. Look at how much the Order has been through: they were already pretty badly busted up when the gate went Krackakoom. And then they fought the elemental. And then they fought the army. And I was thinking "whoa, man, how much longer can you drag them through the dirt?" And they were still kicking well into another confrontation with Tarkie & Co. If you ask me, that was a heroic exit, the sting is strong enough to really get under Tarquin's skin, and Roy and the gang have definitely earned themselves a break.

Plus, I'll lay you ten to one odds that The Giant is sick of drawing sand.

oppyu
2013-11-29, 09:42 PM
Seriously, I hope not. We've already seen a decade's full of Tarquin's impervious meddling. Let's get back to Xykon now.
It would be a hilarious indignity for Tarkie though. The Order's in a huge climactic battle with Team Evil, and Tarkie's just running behind them shouting "Fight me! Please! I need someone to fight me to give me some small measure of narrative importance! I don't want to be Nale!"

IW Judicator
2013-11-29, 09:44 PM
Tarquin's call for Laurin in panel 6 reads as a bratty kid calling for his mother when he's not getting his way (to me at least).

Also, Laurin's comment of "I had terrible taste" has so many delightful possibilities. Maybe it's because Julio isn't Evil. Maybe it's because her fan letters got lost in the mail and thus never got a response. Maybe it's because over the years her heart has shrunk to be two sizes too small. Or maybe, just maybe (and may the forum forgive me) it's because he isn't a pale skinned, omnicidal vampire who makes a mean cup of bloodwart tea....Or really any other reason. But still...possibilities!

Amphiox
2013-11-29, 09:45 PM
It would be fittingly karmic if Tarquin gets so angry at the Order escaping him this time that he forgets his narrative savvy and ends up chasing them, and becomes a recurring two-bit villain for a while in the next book, until he gets unceremoniously, and anti-climactically dispatched by the bigger villain (ie Xykon).

Or, in other words, he turns into Nale....

Shining Wrath
2013-11-29, 09:45 PM
But she herself was with the army in Bleedingham, and then went through the gate with them. At no point have we seen her open a gate and not be, herself, physically, within a few feet of the gate's opening.

I suppose it is possible for her to open one end right in front of her, and the other in front of the Mechane, but that means making the Mechane crash right on top of herself (and Tarquin), and she's not a HP tank.

More to the point we have only seen the wormholes used to move Laurin & friends away from their current locale. Since the wormhole seems to be not 3.5 canon, we do not know that it can be used to bring something to Laurin. It may not be possible for the entrance to be at the far end.

Composer99
2013-11-29, 09:46 PM
Y'know, after all that, I think we've seen the last of this fight's turnabouts. The Order mostly runs away or has mixed victories after all, and now they're finally in a position where they can run away from a mixed victory.

+1 to this. :smallsmile:

Ramien
2013-11-29, 09:49 PM
Tarquin's call for Laurin in panel 6 reads as a bratty kid calling for his mother when he's not getting his way (to me at least).

Also, Laurin's comment of "I had terrible taste" has so many delightful possibilities. Maybe it's because Julio isn't Evil. Maybe it's because her fan letters got lost in the mail and thus never got a response. Maybe it's because over the years her heart has shrunk to be two sizes too small. Or maybe, just maybe (and may the forum forgive me) it's because he isn't a pale skinned, omnicidal vampire who makes a mean cup of bloodwart tea....Or really any other reason. But still...possibilities!

Or maybe because she realized that someone like Julios Scoundrél wouldn't exactly be the type of father who'd give any potential children, like Hannah, a stable life, and giving her child a safe, secure life does seem to be important to her. Julio Scoundrél's 'child in every port' policy likely wouldn't sit well with her, either.

Shining Wrath
2013-11-29, 09:50 PM
Random thought:

What if Rich is setting us up for a classic "Alliance of enemies against the greater enemy" finish and Xylon will in the end be taken down by the OotS, plus Team Tarqiun, plus O'Chul and the surviving paladins, plus the IFCC, plus Sabine & Qarr, plus Thog, plus Julio & crew, plus ...?

Amphiox
2013-11-29, 09:52 PM

Julio wouldn't have had to have done anything.

Laurin growing up, establishing a mature relationship, bearing and raising a daughter to adulthood, would have been more than enough on its own to get her to the point of "more than willing to fight you if my ally whom you are attacking asks me".

It would apply even to a non-evil character.

ericgrau
2013-11-29, 09:56 PM
Yay he got away, but in a sufficiently dramatically tense fashion.

Kish
2013-11-29, 09:57 PM

I wonder if I'm the only person on the forum who found, "In retrospect, my romantic taste when I was a teenager was really awful" familiar enough to neither need nor invite further explanations.

Rogar Demonblud
2013-11-29, 09:58 PM
Tarquin's going to need some ice for that burn.

More like an iceberg. ZORCH!

Ionathus
2013-11-29, 09:58 PM

Laurin growing up, establishing a mature relationship, bearing and raising a daughter to adulthood, would have been more than enough on its own to get her to the point of "more than willing to fight you if my ally whom you are attacking asks me".

Well put. Me, I'm still not convinced Laurin's totally evil. Maybe she's Lawful Neutral, sees the Empires deal as the best way of keeping order. Maybe she truly just cares about keeping her daughter safe and uncorrupted. Who knows? I'd be interested to see what would happen if Tarquin starts pushing her too far, maybe if that wish (which I also think will be resolved or at least hinted at before the end of the book) is for something he really doesn't like.
Both Myron and Laurin have been pretty upset by Tarkie's recent shenanigans. I foresee some unresolved conflict there.

Porthos
2013-11-29, 09:59 PM

The comment struck as something like a person who once liked a "Boy Band" (or similar) whilst they were a teenager but then decades later said to themselves, "Geez, what was I thinking then?"

No more, no less. :smallsmile:

jukehero461
2013-11-29, 10:01 PM
I'm still waiting for horrible doom for Julio. Not that I want it, but I just can't relax until the Psion isn't blasting people anymore.

"I had terrible taste when I was young." Heh. :smallsmile:

Also, rude of Tarquin to interrupt Julio's pun. Bet it would have been:

"Time to exit - stage up - before you unravel!" :smallbiggrin:

I await the probable death with great enthusiasm!

Composer99
2013-11-29, 10:02 PM
Random thought:

What if Rich is setting us up for a classic "Alliance of enemies against the greater enemy" finish and Xylon will in the end be taken down by the OotS, plus Team Tarqiun, plus O'Chul and the surviving paladins, plus the IFCC, plus Sabine & Qarr, plus Thog, plus Julio & crew, plus ...?

I don't really see the IFCC getting in on the anti-Xykon action so directly. It's not their style, so far as we've seen.

Deepbluediver
2013-11-29, 10:03 PM
...Tarquin is a sad impotent spiteful little man who has completely failed.

Who still controls nearly 1/3 of a continent, a massive army, and 5/6ths of a powerful adventuring party. Frankly, I don't see this so much as loss as a setback. He still has more than enough power and resources to make a mess of things, and now he's got an actual reason to get out of his rut, and go chase Elan down.

The fact that the OotS has barely managed to escape, the fact that Tarquin has a whole heap of psychological issues (like pretty much every single other character in the story) does not diminish his potential threat.

Ramien
2013-11-29, 10:07 PM
I wonder if I'm the only person on the forum who found, "In retrospect, my romantic taste when I was a teenager was really awful" familiar enough to neither need nor invite further explanations.

Nope... but you are surely aware of the power of that second most addictive of all drugs, internet speculation?

Ionathus
2013-11-29, 10:12 PM
Who still controls nearly 1/3 of a continent, a massive army, and 5/6ths of a powerful adventuring party. Frankly, I don't see this so much as loss as a setback. He still has more than enough power and resources to make a mess of things, and now he's got an actual reason to get out of his rut, and go chase Elan down.

The fact that the OotS has barely managed to escape, the fact that Tarquin has a whole heap of psychological issues (like pretty much every single other character in the story) does not diminish his potential threat.

Villainous breakdown doesn't necessarily hinge on material possession or physical power. I think, for Tarquin, his number one desire is to have control over the story. Here, things are spiraling way out of control and he can't do anything to stop it. He starts getting bratty and angry, and the whole "likable bad guy" act starts to slip. We're seeing him a little vulnerable here, I think.

Still crazy dangerous, but psychologically vulnerable.

I don't really see the IFCC getting in on the anti-Xykon action so directly. It's not their style, so far as we've seen.

Agreed, and if you were to twist my arm into speculating about who would be in a huge final battle royale (which I don't really expect will happen anyway), I expect that it would be the IFCC vs. The World. They're the ones pulling all the strings. They're the team that hasn't been worried - truly worried - about their prospects for victory across the entire story. I fully expect some sort of substantial confrontation with them, even after the defeat of Xykon.

Jay R
2013-11-29, 10:13 PM

All it means is that Laurin deliberately keeps a low profile. She has a daughter who's a plumber, and she thinks Laurin is an interior decorator (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0921.html). You can't keep up that image if you go to all the general's weddings.

Dovetail
2013-11-29, 10:14 PM
Yes! I loved this strip. Tarquin fails (again) (a fact that would have Nale laughing his head off if he were watching), and the Order as well as the wise old mentor who was supposed to die, all escape and get away alive.

:roy: Or get away undead, in Durkon's case.

Jay R
2013-11-29, 10:16 PM
Okay, so how do they keep Laurin from portaling to the deck of the mechane?

I'd do it by having a vampire on board that Laurin is specifically avoiding getting close to.

Wait, doesn't it? I thought Tarquin was the hero of this story. :smallconfused::smalltongue:

No, of course not. I'm just glad we've finally finished the side-story of the subordinate heroes, now that the real hero of the story has flown in to save them.

Renobarb
2013-11-29, 10:21 PM
Random thought:

The MitD will be the one to end up killing Xykon. That's been telegraphed for ages now.

ShaneWegner
2013-11-29, 10:35 PM
Welp, it LOOKS like they got away. (Although a ranged stun might make him drop to the ground, THE HORROR.) Or in theory they could wormhole up to the Mechane and have some sky swashbuckling. But really, I think after all that manifesting Laurin is probably low on power points, and perhaps even more importantly, patience for Taurquin's antics and dead-end quests.

It would also be hilarious if Miron popped in and was like "Ok, I'm all healed up and ready to fight some more! Oh they're gone and the fight's over? Well too bad favor used up anyway."

Spoomeister
2013-11-29, 10:35 PM
The MitD will be the one to end up killing Xykon. That's been telegraphed for ages now.

Great googly moogly, I hope you're wrong. MitD as something that takes out a huge army or lower boss, to give the OOTS a fair shot at Xykon? Fine. Actually taking him out? Nopenopenopenopenope.

Of course this is not my story, but even more importantly, it's putting the cart so far ahead of the horse, the cart only just arrived from Ikea and I misplaced my allen wrench.

Jay R
2013-11-29, 10:38 PM

That's more specific than I would care to be. I do suspect that he will do something that will spoil Xykon's plans and/or leave him vulnerable, but I still think the OotS will actually defeat Xykon.

DreadPirateDB
2013-11-29, 10:39 PM
Great googly moogly, I hope you're wrong. MitD as something that takes out a huge army or lower boss, to give the OOTS a fair shot at Xykon? Fine. Actually taking him out? Nopenopenopenopenope.

Of course this is not my story, but even more importantly, it's putting the cart so far ahead of the horse, the cart only just arrived from Ikea and I misplaced my allen wrench.

Nah, I have the MiTD penned in to destroy the phylactery.

I hope the next page is the splash page. This feels like a decent end to the book.

Kislath
2013-11-29, 10:40 PM
Ha! That was great! Perfect way to end this fight.
Unless, you know, Laurin...

NerdyKris
2013-11-29, 10:40 PM

It's also making the assumption that this story is coming down to a straight fight. I think we can safely assume that this isn't going to just be a videogame end boss that they have to line up and take turns hitting. There may never be a point where Xykon is fighting anyone for the rest of the strip.

Ramien
2013-11-29, 10:42 PM

I don't think so...
I think we're looking more at the MitD eating Redcloak, more than anything. Xykon's spell certainly seemed to work, and either the MitD is going to decide eating Wrong-Eye is against his nature and get a new save, or think that eating Redcloak is going to help O-Chul and go along with the compulsion.

Living Oxymoron
2013-11-29, 10:46 PM
Well, finally Durkon will regain his spells and cure Roy. I couldn't stand see all that wounds anymore, the poor guy is damn hurt.

Belkar is deserving some cure (and restoration) too. His character progressed a lot since they arrived in the Canyon and I really don't want him dead.

Everything indicates that this story arc will end with the Team Evil. Maybe the theories about the MitD's father being at Kraagor's dungeon are true? Can't wait to see it! :smallbiggrin:

Shining Wrath
2013-11-29, 10:54 PM

Yes, that the MitD will switch sides because Xylon knows what MitD is, but not who he is, seems likely.

But first all hope must be lost - Elan is cradling Tarquin's lifeless body, Roy's sword is broken, Laurin is out of Power Points, V has been defeated by Redcloak, hobgoblin hordes are sweeping over the battlefield, Haley is firing arrows that have no effect, Belkar is finally (heroically) dead, Durkon got turned by lich power and is on the wrong side, the Mechane has crashed in flames, and everybody is posting prophecies of doom and gloom on these forums.

O Chul, of course, is still on his feat battling Xylon because O Chul is still on his feet battling Xylon. And that's what brings the MitD in on the side of good.

DaggerPen
2013-11-29, 10:57 PM
Re: Laurin not attending Tarquin's weddings - it's also entirely possible that even if Laurin and Tarquin did partner at some point (no guarantee, it's not clear how often they switch partners), Laurin found the whole "marrying a woman against her will" thing distasteful and declined. Or possibly the only wedding(s) while Laurin was there were ones where the bride was willing, since we know that some of them were (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16471412&postcount=13), and Julio didn't crash those.

Mr. Pants
2013-11-29, 11:05 PM

Well, his partner and son already did. :smallcool:

BrotherMirtillo
2013-11-29, 11:07 PM
That is what i call Teamwork. Thinking about others, working together, trusting each other to look out for one's back.
What a beautifull counterpoint to Team Tarquin.
Brilliant.

It's a beautiful move, agreed. Also, the combination of Roy's considerate willpower and Elan's inspiring pluck (in addition to the other teammates) is all the more colorful compared to the somber hardness of Tarquin's party.

But to be fair, Tarquin and his allies are capable of compassion, assistance, and trust. Miron and Jacinda plugged the leak (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0915.html), just as Tarquin trusted they would. (That's not to mention all the ad-libbing each separate pair has had to do to steer their territories.) Miron would've stuck around to finish the fight if he'd been able, and Laurin looked out for Tarquin's success (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0928.html), even if Tarquin didn't listen to her. And despite their arguments and regardless of any alignments, both Tarquin (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0854.html) and Laurin (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0913.html) have shown some emotions for Malack.

They're capable of those acts and feelings... but it's a combination of friendship and "business" as opposed to the Order's friendship and loyalty (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0294.html), no matter how much of their foundation seems to be gone (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0881.html). Because the other Empire handlers are half-reliant on business to act, it makes them that much slower to accept a distinct risk without distinct benefit (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0921.html). And when that business plan is authored by Tarquin... well, we've all seen how obsessive he can get when he thinks something or someone's not measuring up to his plan.

The Order vs. the Imperial Army -- both vivid teams, and I hope we see more of them all in future chapters. Just, you know, not until after the Order catches their breath.

Vinsfeld
2013-11-29, 11:08 PM
End of book 5 is coming.... And Belkar lived through it.

Gift Jeraff
2013-11-29, 11:16 PM
How the book should end:

Tarquin urges Laurin to pursue the Mechane. Bandana makes a slight course correction, causing Laurin's Wormhole to be off. Tarquin's cape gets stuck in one of the propellers.

THE END

Doorhandle
2013-11-29, 11:34 PM
To be perfectly fair to Tarquy, it looks like the bolt was aimed at him and if it did hit it would've been the icing on the cake.

I think a light ballista only does like, 2d8 damage anyway.

Kish
2013-11-29, 11:41 PM
End of book 5 is coming.... And Belkar lived through it.
You know, if I was particularly distressed by the prospect of Belkar dying, the last thing I would do would be refer to his having survived the entire almost-but-not-completely-over book in the past tense.

punch_bunny
1) Julio, the Dashing Swordsman, charmed and disarmed by a (former) fan! But Laurin did a little talking for Durkon too before attacking him.

2) I wonder how Julioteers express their fanhood - perhaps a young Laurin would sport the same hairstyle and run around with a sword...

3) Half-panel - watch this space!

DaggerPen
Is this the first time we've seen Tarquin :smalleek:? Usually he's just :smallconfused: or expressionless when dodging attacks.

PaulRedeker22
2013-11-29, 11:43 PM
Ha! That was great! Perfect way to end this fight.
Unless, you know, Laurin...

That's the one loose thread that's still bothering me. Laurin said she has a favor in mind that Tarquin could do for her by the day's end, but that hasn't been resolved yet. What if she uses this moment, where T is alone and (comparatively) weakened, to kill him?

BrotherMirtillo
2013-11-29, 11:47 PM
How the book should end:

Tarquin urges Laurin to pursue the Mechane. Bandana makes a slight course correction, causing Laurin's Wormhole to be off. Tarquin's cape gets stuck in one of the propellers.

THE END

:elan: No capes!

:tarquin: I think I should be the one to decide--

:elan: Do you remember Malack? A polite lizardfolk, cleric powers, fond of children. Comic #906! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0906.html) All was well, another tight spot for the heroes, when suddenly his cape snagged on a vindictive fellow villain!

:tarquin: Nale was not the brightest bulb--

:elan: An unassuming goblin, Start of Darkness! His cape sucked him into a torturous plotline!

:tarquin: Son, you can't keep generalizing with the capes--

:elan: Vaarsuvius, neither agile nor subtle! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0638.html) Xykon, presenting a big red target! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0462.html)Me, before (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0061.html) I gave up that obsolete look! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0388.html) No capes!

NihhusHuotAliro
2013-11-29, 11:49 PM
Oots updates every day I shower-

Newwby
2013-11-29, 11:51 PM
Julio is ridiculously cool. Loved the barb at Tarquin about his self centeredness!

colanderman
2013-11-30, 12:00 AM
Bandana's "Close enough for you?" – nice callback to Laurin's same line.

Also, good to see that Chekhov's heavy crossbow finally fire.

Amphiox
2013-11-30, 12:05 AM
All it means is that Laurin deliberately keeps a low profile. She has a daughter who's a plumber, and she thinks Laurin is an interior decorator (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0921.html). You can't keep up that image if you go to all the general's weddings.

My thinking is that a Psion of her power level would have innumerable options for attending, incognito if she wished to, assuming she regarded Tarquin as enough of a friend to want to attend.

That she apparently has not has many reasons, none of which have so far had any hints in the narrative, but each of those reasons would imply something interesting about the true nature of their relationship.

Not necessarily earth-shattering, but interesting in its own small ways.

isleofredemptio
2013-11-30, 12:05 AM
Laurin goes in there and blasts Julio into submission in ONE ATTACK (apparently nobody can roll a save to save their lives), after using a ton of points on wormholes and neutralizing the entire Order, dispelling Durkon's protection... Even after having lost TWO LEVELS to Durkon's energy drain.

Psionics are broken. Or just Laurin.

Amphiox
2013-11-30, 12:09 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen, I do believe we've seen the last of Tarquin - a sad little man raving and screaming in the sand at a world that doesn't care.

I AM OZYMANDIAS, KING OF KINGS!
LOOK UPON MY WORKS YE MIGHTY, AND DESPAIR!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away....

But I for one do hope to see him at least one more time. The time when Xykon, with passing mention of how annoying that raving and screaming racket is, squishes him like a bug....

....And then we see, definitively, that the world DIDN'T care.

Amphiox
2013-11-30, 12:18 AM
Laurin goes in there and blasts Julio into submission in ONE ATTACK (apparently nobody can roll a save to save their lives), after using a ton of points on wormholes and neutralizing the entire Order, dispelling Durkon's protection... Even after having lost TWO LEVELS to Durkon's energy drain.

On the other hand, I note that Julio seemed to have been affected for only a single panel, during which time he was STILL in sufficient possession of his faculties to make a quip, and that he's facing in a (different) orientation from what he was when he was struck which he could not have gotten into by passively falling, meaning that even after being struck, he retained the ability to move of his own volition, and make an attempt, if impaired, to dodge an attack.

Such that even if Elan had not intervened with the ballista at the moment, the most Tarquin would have gotten would have been one successful attack with a dagger, which would hardly be likely to be decisive.

So I think "blast into submission" here is a tad extreme as a descriptor.

Forikroder
2013-11-30, 12:19 AM
My thinking is that a Psion of her power level would have innumerable options for attending, incognito if she wished to, assuming she regarded Tarquin as enough of a friend to want to attend.

That she apparently has not has many reasons, none of which have so far had any hints in the narrative, but each of those reasons would imply something interesting about the true nature of their relationship.

how about that high ranking officials from rival nations dont go to each other weddings

there trying to keep a low proficle if Laurin goes missing every time Tarquin gets married someoen would figure it out

all this shows is that Laurin has never been teamed with Tarquin at a point in time where taruqin gets married and that marriage gets crashed by Julio

Nightsbridge
2013-11-30, 12:22 AM

More of a business partner or colleague than a close friend, maybe? Someone you keep in tabs with because you work well together but don't invite into your private life, and don't intrude into theirs?

Kornaki
2013-11-30, 12:28 AM
there trying to keep a low proficle if Laurin goes missing every time Tarquin gets married someoen would figure it out

He's been married what, nine times now? You'd have to be one hell of a sleuth to put together her missing for a couple hours on nine random days together with Tarquin getting married on each of those days. She can cast wormhole she's probably gone lots of times.

137beth
2013-11-30, 12:33 AM
I'm expecting Tarquin to demand Laurin psychoport onto the mechane or something...he really has gone insane.

Varidan
2013-11-30, 12:34 AM
Julio scored a hit on Tarkie in the last comic page, but i dont see the cut on him anywhere in this page :smallconfused:

Be that as it may, another story arc has reached its conclusion at last! Can't wait to see where it goes from here!

Chaingun
2013-11-30, 12:35 AM
Elan is stepping up more and more as a hero - and for a supposedly dumb guy, that was an impressive tactic he pulled to save his mentor. I like this trend.:smallsmile:

What I see happening next:

Tarquin: "Get us up there, Laurin!"

Laurin: "Uhh, no. I have suck for power points, we'd be way outnumbered, and I need a Restoration, stat."

Forikroder
2013-11-30, 12:40 AM
He's been married what, nine times now? You'd have to be one hell of a sleuth to put together her missing for a couple hours on nine random days together with Tarquin getting married on each of those days. She can cast wormhole she's probably gone lots of times.

hes had 9 wives, that wouldnt count the times Julio crashed the wedding and rescued his bride to be

besides in order for her to come shed have to come up with an alibi, burn a spell to get there (and probably a spell or two to find a safe place) a spell to disguise herself then she gets to spend a few hours watch a man force a woman to marry her (and its TARQUINS wedding you know its going to drag on and be voer the top) then she gets spends another 2-3 spells getting back

Living Oxymoron
2013-11-30, 12:44 AM
Julio is ridiculously cool. Loved the barb at Tarquin about his self centeredness!

That escape was totally cool!

The Psion itself is already broken, and Laurin is even worse, because she has a 2nd edition power (one of the best/coolest of those days) and is probably epic (what means she has a ton of PP). But I think Tarquin will order her to open a Wormhole and she will reveal she lost the power after the level drain.

moviepyro512
2013-11-30, 12:46 AM
Giant, you are legitimately one of my favorite writers alive.

Forikroder
2013-11-30, 12:47 AM
That escape was totally cool!

The Psion itself is already broken, and Laurin is even worse, because she has a 2nd edition power (one of the best/coolest of those days) and is probably epic (what means she has a ton of PP). But I think Tarquin will order her to open a Wormhole and she will reveal she lost the power after the level drain.

teleport into the middle of Julios crew? Laurins not that dumb assuming the ship isnt like shielded against stuff like that

IW Judicator
2013-11-30, 12:48 AM
Actually, all this talk of weddings makes me think about Tarquin's first(?) marriage to Elan's Mom. Namely, who all, if anyone, was in attendance and the goings on thereof...some very interesting possibilities there.

Bryconium
2013-11-30, 12:49 AM
I really hope I don't jinx anything, but I'm going to say it:
Laurin Will Live!

David Argall
2013-11-30, 12:51 AM
Now what do we do about Scoundrel?
Scoundrel is not a support character. He leads or leaves. If he stays, he would dominate the Order, and this is supposed to be the story of the order of the stick.
But why would he leave? He wants the big adventure and that means X. And the party would be fools [more than they are] if they don't actively recruit him.
There are plot problems ahead.

Forikroder
2013-11-30, 12:56 AM
Scoundrel is not a support character. He leads or leaves. If he stays, he would dominate the Order, and this is supposed to be the story of the order of the stick.
But why would he leave? He wants the big adventure and that means X. And the party would be fools [more than they are] if they don't actively recruit him.

if he wanted a big story why didnt he join earlier?

oh wait he didnt want a big story he jsut wanted to save his padawan and prove hes too badass to be killed by narative

Komitadji
2013-11-30, 12:59 AM
Scoundrel is not a support character. He leads or leaves.

Uhhh?

Of course he's a support character. And of course he leaves. Now that he's saved Elan, the simplest, most logical course of action is for the Mechane to conduct the Order to the final gate. That's ... been completely true since his introduction.

Plot problems? I just don't see it. It's as easy for Julio to leave the plot now as it was before.

BungleBee
2013-11-30, 01:04 AM
Oh if only Elan had accidentally put that big arrow through Tarquins head.

Ramien
2013-11-30, 01:21 AM
Oh if only Elan had accidentally put that big arrow through Tarquins head.

It would have only dented his ego.

ryuplaneswalker
2013-11-30, 01:26 AM
Uhhh?

Of course he's a support character. And of course he leaves. Now that he's saved Elan, the simplest, most logical course of action is for the Mechane to conduct the Order to the final gate. That's ... been completely true since his introduction.

Plot problems? I just don't see it. It's as easy for Julio to leave the plot now as it was before.

"Elan here is the last gate, No I am not coming with you I escaped my Narrative fate once, I am not pushing those odds as of this point I am retired..and am going to a small island of zero strategic value to live out my life at least until an alien baby falls out of the sky."

Seto
2013-11-30, 01:33 AM
:mitd: Awwww, man, c'mon !

I wanted Tarquin to win.
But very nice rescue anyway !

Lexible
2013-11-30, 01:34 AM

You mean forgotten something like a large jagged missile weapon within arm's reach? :smallwink:

Forikroder
2013-11-30, 01:35 AM
You mean forgotten something like a large jagged missile weapon within arm's reach? :smallwink:

you expect Tarquin to manage to javelin that thing at him in time?

Lexible
2013-11-30, 01:36 AM
I'm amazed how Elan is familar with the Mechane, its weapons and crew.
After all, he just got one (http://http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0391.html) single 20-minute training-session :smallbiggrin:

Out of a three-day trip from Cliffport to the Azure City.

KoboldRevenge
2013-11-30, 01:41 AM
I'm not convinced Julio survives till he is on the ship.

Breccia
2013-11-30, 01:45 AM
The other half of Tarquin's problem could be...

...that he can't fly.

As previously stated, Laurin may very well be in no shape to wormhole Tarquin onto the deck of the airship. She could be too low level to use the power, out of PP, or both. And his pterodactyl is likely nowhere nearby. He might have no legit choice but to watch the Order and Julio sail off into the sunset.

But failing that, let's say Tarquin does get up there somehow. He's one good bull rush from being over the side. Hell, Bandana Pilot might just spin the wheel really fast. Or V could do it with a gust of wind spell. And we have seen a fall like that kill a high-level fighter before.

orrion
2013-11-30, 01:46 AM
That's the one loose thread that's still bothering me. Laurin said she has a favor in mind that Tarquin could do for her by the day's end, but that hasn't been resolved yet. What if she uses this moment, where T is alone and (comparatively) weakened, to kill him?

The one who is comparatively weakened right now is Laurin. She's used a ton of power points today and is level drained, whereas Tarquin has taken hardly any damage whatsoever and has been shown to be able to resist everything thrown his way so far.

Another bad usage of "we." Pity, really, 'cause it looked like you were getting better about that. "We" - whether you mean "we the collective audience" or "David and Rich" do absolutely nothing. The latter group doesn't exist and the former has no influence on the plot.

Where do you get that he wants the big adventure? That sounds like more of your "I have this script in my head and this is what needs to happen" nonsense. Scoundrel doesn't even know what the big adventure is at this point. Nothing is stopping him from dropping the party off at the nearest city (or when they reach the Northern continent) and saying "Bye!"

Timix
2013-11-30, 01:49 AM
Great strip! I wish it would show Tarquin's rage face again though.

JustWantedToSay
2013-11-30, 01:52 AM
Why wormhole on to the deck of the airship?

Instead:

Wormhole on top of the balloon. Then stab and disintegrate.

t209
2013-11-30, 01:56 AM
So I wonder if Western Continent would look like Battletech if Azurites created a new civilization long enough to contend with three empires.
Either Capellan Confederation (if Hinjo's heir has manipulative gene trait via Shojo) or Draconis Combine(they may not be good guys but their Bushido kinda fit in with Paladins' motive).

Grommen
2013-11-30, 02:06 AM
Tarquin's defeat is so much more complete if they just fly away.

He sacrificed one son, a close friend, an army, might get outed as the brains behind an evil empire, and is not the center of the story. He even lost his kool, in more ways than one.

All this and he still did not accomplish the simple goal of making his son the center of attention.

Just leave him standing, in the sand, watching his hated rival fly away unable to get sweet poetic justice. Unable to kill Roy, or any of them. Unable to hurt his son so that he wants to seek vengeance.

I can think of no more a crushing defeat. He is no longer an evil #$@@#$. Just pathetically evil, and reduced to a sub plot.

JessmanCA
2013-11-30, 02:08 AM
Oots updates every day I shower-

Shower every day!

Gabe
2013-11-30, 02:12 AM
Genuinely relieved that Julio's safe and sound. Wasn't overly surprised that Laurin took a pop at him though. Loved Tarquin again reinforcing that everything has to be about himself, much like his dead son would do, I think.

Haldir
2013-11-30, 02:16 AM
Someone asked why Tarquin didn't retain the wound Julio gave him - Ring o' Regeneration.

Amarsir
2013-11-30, 02:42 AM
Great strip as always, but something didn't sit right. Roy seems to be suggesting that they should leave without Julio while Elan is improvising a plan to save him. Those seem out of character, especially the former. I don't want to read too much into a sentence fragment, but why would Roy be saying "Elan we need to get out of --" at that point?

Agi Hammerthief
2013-11-30, 02:42 AM
Tarquin's defeat is so much more complete if they just fly away.

He sacrificed one son, a close friend, an army, might get outed as the brains behind an evil empire, and is not the center of the story. He even lost his kool, in more ways than one.

All this and he still did not accomplish the simple goal of making his son the center of attention.

Just leave him standing, in the sand, watching his hated rival fly away unable to get sweet poetic justice. Unable to kill Roy, or any of them. Unable to hurt his son so that he wants to seek vengeance.

I can think of no more a crushing defeat. He is no longer an evil #$@@#$. Just pathetically evil, and reduced to a sub plot.
Magnificent Sub Plot

ti'esar
2013-11-30, 02:47 AM
Shower every day!

I don't know why he wouldn't be doing that anyway. Eww.