PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 tripping questions

JungleChicken
2013-11-29, 09:25 PM
Have a 3.5 character and considering Improved trip.

I'm a bit fuzzy on if you can move your full amount or just 5 feet and attempt a trip.

Also against a person casting a spell, do they have to pass a concentration check for being tripped, then a second check if the following attack (with improved trip) is successful?

eggynack
2013-11-29, 09:34 PM
A trip is basically just a melee attack, and follows those essential rules. Thus, if you make a full move, then you can make a single trip attempt, and if you take a five-foot step, then you can make a full attack of trip attempts. As for trip based concentration checks, I can't see anything that says that those occur in the rules, but if they do exist in some location, then the wizard makes both checks.

JungleChicken
2013-11-29, 09:37 PM
Thanks. That is how I figured it but I couldn't see anything specific and this is the place for pretty good RAW conversations.

As for the concentration checks I would assume that A) since a trip is considered a melee attack, and it also would be quite distracting if you ask me and B) improved trip gives you a follow up attack that specifically doesn't happen without the feat then the likelihood of 2 concentration checks is up to interpretation

eggynack
2013-11-29, 09:41 PM
As for the concentration checks I would assume that A) since a trip is considered a melee attack, and it also would be quite distracting if you ask me and B) improved trip gives you a follow up attack that specifically doesn't happen without the feat then the likelihood of 2 concentration checks is up to interpretation
The closest I can see, and it's certainly a possibility, is a concentration check based on vigorous or violent motion. It wouldn't have anything to do with the fact of a melee attack though, as that lacks an intrinsic concentration check causing result.

KillianHawkeye
2013-11-29, 09:57 PM
The closest I can see, and it's certainly a possibility, is a concentration check based on vigorous or violent motion. It wouldn't have anything to do with the fact of a melee attack though, as that lacks an intrinsic concentration check causing result.

Agreed, the Concentration check is for taking damage, not merely being attacked.

JungleChicken
2013-11-29, 10:18 PM
So potentially a concentration check DC 15 or 20 depending on if the DM believed it to be violent or extraordinarily violent motion then a second concentration check for the follow up attack 10+dmg dealt

JungleChicken
2013-11-29, 10:21 PM
Or perhaps you choose one or the other. Say after the successful trip but before the attack and damage roll on the follow up attack. That way there is a little bit of a gamble

eggynack
2013-11-29, 10:25 PM
There's no justification for a choice. If there's damage, there's a concentration check. There may or may not be a second check on the trip, but probably a may not, because the effects that lead to vigorous motion aren't combat based, but environmental. I'd probably just stick with the single damage based concentration check, with the logic that if tripping or prone caused concentration checks, the game would say so somewhere.