PDA

View Full Version : Favored Enemy vs. Favored Target [Pathfinder]

Tanuki Tales
2013-11-29, 09:54 PM
Which of the two does the forum currently feel is superior as a class feature? Favored Enemy has a higher bonus and can apply to as many enemies as are present, but I feel like Favored Target is ultimately more useful as it can apply to any target at your discretion and doesn't require either foreknowledge of the makeup of your enemies or your GM being nice and making sure your choices are meaningful and not wasted.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-11-29, 11:08 PM
Considering this (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/i/instant-enemy) is easily accessible I wouldn't be sure. However I can't seem to find Favored Target (I suppose it is from an Archetype) so I am not 100% sure.

FinnDarkblade
2013-11-29, 11:14 PM
Considering this (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/i/instant-enemy) is easily accessible I wouldn't be sure. However I can't seem to find Favored Target (I suppose it is from an Archetype) so I am not 100% sure.
Favored Target is one of the Slayer abilities from the Advanced Classes Playtest. You take a move action to study an opponent and it gives you a +1 bonus to Bluff, Knowledge, Perception, Sense Motive and Survival checks along with attack and damage that slowly scale as you level up. You also gain the ability to have multiple favored targets at a time.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-11-29, 11:20 PM
Does Favoured target always takes a move action to work? Because that seems a huge disadvantage as you get to higher levels, since as a non-caster combatant your damage is quite reliant on full attacks.

FinnDarkblade
2013-11-29, 11:21 PM
Does Favoured target always takes a move action to work? Because that seems a huge disadvantage as you get to higher levels, since as a non-caster combatant your damage is quite reliant on full attacks.

At 10th level it becomes a swift action. And at level 7 the bonus is added to Disguise, Intimidate, and Stealth.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-11-29, 11:26 PM
Not sure if PF changed, but since most non-casters have next to no uses for their swift actions it looks good. A little late for my tastes (it should probably come at level 6-7ish since it is when you first get your iterative attacks).

FinnDarkblade
2013-11-29, 11:30 PM
Favored Target is definitely the better ability in more diverse campaigns, and even if you frequently end up going against large groups of the same type of enemy you always get the ability to target another enemy before you get another attack from your BAB so you should usually be capable of targeting enough enemies at a time.
*edit* Although I suppose things like bonuses to Stealth could be a bit limited if you can only apply them to a few targets.

Not sure if PF changed, but since most non-casters have next to no uses for their swift actions it looks good. A little late for my tastes (it should probably come at level 6-7ish since it is when you first get your iterative attacks).
The Favored Target lasts until either you dismiss it or the target dies so you can still take full attack actions with the bonuses before level 10 as long as they're against an enemy you've already Targeted.

grarrrg
2013-11-29, 11:54 PM
It smells of Freebooter (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/ranger/archetypes/paizo---ranger-archetypes/freebooter) Ranger:

At 1st level, the freebooter can, as a move action, indicate an enemy in combat and rally her allies to focus on that target. The freebooter and her allies gain a +1 bonus on weapon attack and damage rolls against the target. This ability applies only to allies who can see or hear the freebooter and who are within 30 feet of the freebooter at the time she activates this ability. At 5th level and every 5 levels thereafter (10th, 15th, and 20th level), the bonus increases by 1. The freebooter’s bane lasts until the target dies or the freebooter selects a new target.

FinnDarkblade
2013-11-30, 12:19 AM
It smells of Freebooter (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/ranger/archetypes/paizo---ranger-archetypes/freebooter) Ranger:

It does a bit, but then the Slayer is supposed to be a mix of Rogue and Ranger. The differences are still pretty significant though.

Tanuki Tales
2013-11-30, 09:26 AM
Instant Enemy is accessible at the same level as swift action Favored Target, but it does require spell slots while Favored Target is basically infinite use.

The Freebooter Ranger ability is inferior to Favored Target though.

grarrrg
2013-11-30, 05:10 PM
The Freebooter Ranger ability is inferior to Favored Target though.

Favored Target let's your friends hit the bad guy with bonuses as well?

Tanuki Tales
2013-11-30, 07:27 PM
Favored Target let's your friends hit the bad guy with bonuses as well?

I meant from the perspective of the character who had the class feature. Sorry, I should have clarified that.

Spore
2013-11-30, 07:34 PM
Imho Favored Enemy is a pain in the ass for a DM. You have to put up fights from one subtype of monsters or make the ranger suck.

FinnDarkblade
2013-11-30, 07:48 PM
Imho Favored Enemy is a pain in the ass for a DM. You have to put up fights from one subtype of monsters or make the ranger suck.

I definitely agree that Favored Target is better from a game-mechanics perspective. Favored Enemy makes a bit more sense thematically though. I'm not sure how studying someone for a couple of seconds lets you know enough about them to hit them or use skills against them more successfully but I can definitely see how an in-depth target analysis of specific subgroups could make you more effective against them.