PDA

View Full Version : The 43rd Algiran Drop Troops IC -> Killing Boss Raj Raj

tigerusthegreat
2013-11-29, 10:41 PM
Your Valkyrie lands, and the hatch opens to freezing air. You file out carefully, but there are no Ork visible. Boss Raj Raj should be to the East about a mile. The Valkyrie takes off, kicking up snow, and nearly burying you. The cold bites into you, and you realize long term exposure to this cold should be avoided. There are mountains to the north and south of your position, as the Valkyrie had landed in a small canyon.

Doc Kraken
2013-11-29, 11:50 PM
"Thanks much!" Galemar calls out at the departing Valkyrie.

"Yeah, we really needed the backwash of snow. Makes great camo." Derax mutters, slapping the unwelcome precipitation away from her limbs. Galemar isn't paying attention. Suddenly all efficiency, he unlimbers his auspex, giving the area a quick sweep.

"Too far away to track the target..." he mumbles, fiddling with a dial. "But I don't want to step on a mine on the way there, know what I'm saying?" He stops, thinks for a second, and gives the ground to the east an extra pass before continuing with his sweep.

Auspex usage (Tech-Use test): [roll0] vs. 47

Caimheul
2013-11-30, 01:34 AM
Anastasia pulls her camo cloak out of her rucksack, quickly unrolling it and donning it over all of her other gear. Her photo-visor and respirator have been in place since before boarding the valkyrie, prepped in case of encountering unexpected enemy fire. "Better you didn't step on a mine, you'd give away our position. Ork patrols are the larger worry overall." she responds plainly, sweeping the immediate area with her carbine, intending to keep as much ammunition for her hellgun as possible for the boss.

Awareness: [roll0] TN 36

LeSwordfish
2013-11-30, 03:09 AM
Wrapped so solidly as to appear even bulkier than before, Mag slowly turned on the spot, inspecting the snow with his bolter raised and ready.

"Can't help but wish they'd put us on TOP of one of these hills." He grumbled mildly.

OOC
Awareness: [roll0]

ArcturusV
2013-11-30, 09:40 AM
"Never navigated a hab riot before eh?" Lukan asked. He was kneeling down in the snow, taking a long look at the canyon they had to navigate, the high ground of the mountains, and the general lay of the land. "Stand up tall, you get hammered down. Everyone can see ya. Stay low to the ground, eyes tend to pass over ya." He took another moment to check over his gear, making sure all his weapons were still loaded and ready to go. If the canyon looked more open and clear, he'd take out the Lascarbine for the added range, if not, and it was closed in more, his shotgun came out, ready to fight. Samara followed suit with her brother, kneeling down, letting him take the lay of the land as she remained close, weapon ready to give him support fire on any little orkoid that popped up.

tigerusthegreat
2013-11-30, 07:30 PM
The area appears clear of any enemies. The snowpack will make for hard travel, and could potentially hide any number of devious traps.

Doc Kraken
2013-11-30, 07:56 PM
"Well, gee, sure wouldn't want to give away our position..." Galemar complains (but quietly) as he keeps an eye on the softly beeping auspex. Finally, he lets out a sigh and lowers the device. "Negative on readings, boys and girls. So far as I can tell, we're all alone out here." He unwraps his camo-cloak and fastens it around his shoulders, using it as protection against the cold as much as camouflage.
"So...east, right? I'd like to get to the target before it starts getting dark. This place isn't getting any warmer."

"Who's got point, ma'am?" Derax inquires, her lascarbine trained on the horizon. Galemar raises a hand, shivering even as he smiles. "I can keep up the auspex scan if you like. Might save the lead from a mantrap or something."

ArcturusV
2013-12-01, 04:41 PM
"Guess that means we're riding flank," Lukan offered, his mind flicking back to standard marching protocols. He started to move out towards his left, picking a spot where he could keep his eyes not only on the team, but on the approaches that the Orkoids might take from both the East, West, and South, trusting the main bulk of the group to cover North and unable to keep their eyes effectively on all directions at once. He gestured for Samara to keep close to him, the two of them falling into a practiced pattern that was second nature to them. One picking out the path while the other followed close and kept the gun up ready to fire, trading off every 10 meters or so, so that no one's eyes got too used to the sight and weary enough to miss signs of an obvious trap or an enemy on the horizon. They both had out their las carbines, targetter affixed as they scanned the distance for the slimy green of Ork against snow.

Stealth Roll: [roll0] vs 41 Ag, +20 Chameoline Cloak.
Awareness: [roll1] vs 35 Per. -20 Untrained

Whatever random conditional penalties/bonuses you want to apply, of course.

Caimheul
2013-12-01, 05:22 PM
"No point wasting time, lets move out. Spread out so a lucky mortar hit can't take us all out. I've got point, Galemar, stick to the middle, keep scanning, but watch were you're going. Standard sector coverage." she says quickly, her face protected from the cold through the combination of photo-visor and respirator.

Doc Kraken
2013-12-01, 05:44 PM
"Copy that." Galemar lowers his photo-visor against the wind, sweeping the auspex back and forth. "Hey, you think the orks have mortars? They're stupid, right? That seems like it's a little indirect for them. I know you said a lucky hit, I'm just saying I don't know if they even have that kind of weapon to get lucky with - "

"Less talk to us, more with the machine spirit!" Derax hisses, keeping her lascarbine up as she secures her own gear.

"Right, sorry, sorry..." Galemar's comments trail off into arcane mumbling as he raises his respirator, giving his voice a tinny, muffled quality. He keeps the auspex aimed forward, taking constant readings as he moves into position behind Anastasia.

Stealth check: [roll0] vs. 43 (+20 for Cameleoline Cloak, -20 for Untrained

Awareness check: [roll1] vs. 54 (+20 for Auspex)

Auspex scan (as we move, Tech-Use test): [roll2] vs. 47

As above, if we need to take bonuses/penalties, by all means add them in. Also, should that continual scan be an extended test?

tigerusthegreat
2013-12-01, 06:59 PM
You travel for thirty minutes before finally climbing out from the valley. In the distance you can see a ramshackle collection of metal and other debris, probably two kilometers out. If you had to guess you would say that this is where Boss Raj Raj, or at least a bunch of ork, were living.

ArcturusV
2013-12-01, 08:42 PM
Lukan held up, holding Samara back as they spotted the ramshackle... well... he was loathe to call them Habs of any sort, but supposedly that's what they were. Or at least as near as he could figure, making sense when he recalled how Orkish craftsmanship was explained to him. He took a quick look, trying to see if he could spot any signs of the War Trukks or even looted Imperium tanks that he had heard rumors of the Orkoids procuring.

He glanced over towards the others, speaking softly into his micro-bead, "Possible enemy settlement, no sign of armored opposition yet. Yet to spot primary target, bypass or should we drop the big guns down on it?"

Caimheul
2013-12-01, 08:58 PM
"More likely one of 'um might be armed with a rokkit 'cause he likes the boom. Grouped up its easier for 'em to suppress us while they close. Best not to let 'um near ya." she replies to the operator's babble. "Now hush-up, sound carries over snow"

Anastasia raises her fist, crouches down, then gestures for the squad to get down. <Nice an' easy here on out ladies. Once the fireworks start, orks'll be swarmin' us from miles. No sayin' the boss is here, not worth wastin' our one arty strike on a maybe. Let's work our way a might closer.> she sub-vocalizes in response.

Stealth: [roll0]TN 61
Awareness: [roll1] TN 36

Doc Kraken
2013-12-01, 09:52 PM
"Copy that." Galemar hisses into his microbead, Derax nodding silently. "Moving in, scanning for possible xenoforms."

He inches forward after the storm trooper, auspex held out and Derax slipping behind him silent as a shadow. For once, he's managed to shut up.

Stealth check: [roll0] vs. 43 (+20 for Cameleoline Cloak, -20 for Untrained)

Awareness check: [roll1] vs. 54 (+20 for Auspex)

Auspex scan (Tech-Use test): [roll2] vs. 47

I do like spamming that Auspex :P

ArcturusV
2013-12-02, 11:25 AM
"Copy," Lukan replied to the Storm trooper over the microbead. Seeing the tech-boy starting to head out, he gestured to Samara, telling her to resume their prior pattern, sticking close and alternating between searching and trap spotting as they snuck across the snow, trying to stay as unobtrusive as possible, using the chameoline to maximum effect. Let the tech boy take point, he'd be right in position to back him up with some cross fire from the left flank.

[roll0] vs 41 Stealth Ag, +20 Chameoline Cloak
[roll1] vs 35 Awareness Per -20 Untrained

LeSwordfish
2013-12-02, 01:48 PM
Mag was no stealther but he bundled his cloak around him, with a few folds for the cannon and took up position as the second in the column. Best to keep as few people as possible between the cannon and it's target. KC fell in behind him, wrapping the cloak extra tight around her bright red hair.

"We got any kind of plan?" The small woman asked.

"Once we get within the cannon's range, me and KC will hang back. If you folks need to retreat, we'd be better covering you than running alongside you with this thing."

OOC
[roll0] stealth vs 38-20 untrained +30 camo.

Mag will approach to the heavy bolter's maximum range, then take up position to cover the hut, bracing his bolter on its bipod. If he can find cover or an elevated position at about that range, he'll take that.

Also, totally forgot he had a comrade!

Caimheul
2013-12-02, 01:52 PM
<Roger that.> Anastasia whispers in response to the heavy gunner.

tigerusthegreat
2013-12-03, 12:34 PM
Inching forward, the Auspex indicates that there are dozens of life signs coming from the encampment of a variety of sizes. Most likely the lesser greenskin races are present as well as the ork. You can also clearly see two heavy bolter emplacements on a tower nearest your position.

Caimheul
2013-12-03, 12:40 PM
Anastasia tries to blend into the snow as she looks for any particularly large and impressive (to an ork) huts and/or vehicles

Stealth: [roll0] TN 61 (41 Agi + 20 Cloak)
Awareness: [roll1] TN 36

tigerusthegreat
2013-12-03, 12:42 PM
Besides the towers, she spots nothing boasting much impressive weaponry. Knowing orks, they probably have dakka on their dakka, but none is apparent.

Doc Kraken
2013-12-03, 12:44 PM
"<The guns,>" Galemar hisses into his microbead. "<That could be the emplacement the Lieutenant was talking about. Derax and I could get closer, maybe take them out with the demo charges. We'd probably catch a few of those frakkers in the blast, too - the camp's swarming with them. It ought to bring out the boss, if he's here. Stupid xeno might try to make a run for it, and that'd set him up nicely for Mag. What do you think, ma'am?>"

LeSwordfish
2013-12-03, 01:01 PM
"I wasn't aware they did much in the way of running away." Mag offered into his microbead gently. Besides him, KC rolled her eyes.

ArcturusV
2013-12-03, 01:50 PM
"What do you think, topple the tower?" Lukan asked over the microbead. He could see them using their stealth gear to sneak up to the tower, strap a krak grenade to a support, knock them both down, easy peasy. And a bit less suicidal than a frontal charge, and less likely to waste their one shot than calling in the big guns.

Caimheul
2013-12-03, 02:25 PM
<Twitch, you able to set up one of the det charges with a timer that I could start? Better if you hang back to provide covering fire with the rest of the squad. And they don't run away from explosions, they run towards them, so we'll want a kill zone set up and waiting for them. I'll leave a coupla fire bombs with those of you providing covering fire.> Spectre whispers over her micro-bead.

Doc Kraken
2013-12-03, 02:51 PM
"<Less fire heading my way, got it.>" Galemar whispers, motioning Derax over with a quick hand signal. She wordlessly unlimbers the demo charge she's been carrying, and the two get to work arming it - moving wires here, packing explosives there, topped off with a whispered prayer that's half rote ritual and half panicked improvisation.

"<This'll give you a two-minute count when you deface the arming rune.>" He hisses into the micro-bead, making a last-minute adjustment. "<That's the gray structure in the middle. Ought to give you enough time to get clear. Just don't let them notice you on the way.>"

Demo-charge Rite of Arming (Tech-Use Test): [roll0] vs. 47 (37 Int, +10 Tech-Use)

The Emperor protects...

tigerusthegreat
2013-12-03, 03:20 PM
It is fortunate that the squad is nowhere near the encampment, because the preparation of the demolition charge goes wrong. Some wires are placed incorrectly, and will have to be redone.

(you are probably still about 1.5 km out).

Doc Kraken
2013-12-03, 03:38 PM
"Sonova frak!" Twitch gasps as a couple wires begin to spark. He hurriedly drops them in the snow as Derax rolls backward in a futile bid for cover. Five seconds pass...ten...and Galemar lets out a breath he didn't even know he was holding in.

"The Emperor protects, right?" He gives Derax a sickly grin, one that she barely manages to return.

"You better hope so. I'm pushing you out of the Valkyrie on the way back."

"Hey now, nothing went bang. No need to get testy. Just...a couple more adjustments..."

Demo-charge Rite of Arming (Tech-Use Test): [roll0] vs 47 (37 Int, +10 Tech-Use)

tigerusthegreat
2013-12-03, 04:26 PM
The wires on the demolition charge start smoking. It is clear that by the emperor's will you would have been spread over the snow as a fine mist.

Doc Kraken
2013-12-03, 04:37 PM
"Emperor and Saint Drusus." Galemar swears softly, snatching away the smoking wires. "That was close. I think I know what went wrong."

"You think or you know?" Derax challenges him.

"I...know. Definitely. For sure. Lack of repeating the Fusemaker's Catechism. It's got to be. I'll run through it again, but...erm..." He clears his throat. "You might want to take a step back first. The Emperor helps those who help themselves and all that."

Nodding, Derax scoots backward to just outside five meters, waving the rest of the squad away as Twitch gingerly picks up a bit of spare wiring...

Third time's the charm?

Demo-charge Rite of Arming (Tech-Use Test): [roll0] vs 47 (37 Int, +10 Tech-Use)

tigerusthegreat
2013-12-03, 04:51 PM
The charge seems properly set and ready to placed on the tower. Getting it attached to the tower will be easy.

ArcturusV
2013-12-03, 04:52 PM
"Hissssssssss-boom!" Lukan said softly, chuckling to himself at the struggle that the Operator had gone through, not really knowing just how close he had come to really blowing himself up there on the spot. It was just a simple way for him to relieve some of the pressure on relying on the tech-boy and his strange arts.

"We good to go?" he asked over comms, he reached out his hand towards Samara, whispering to her, rather than broadcasting over the microbead, "Shovel me," his sister taking out the entrenching tool with a grumble and handing it over to Lukan, somewhat happy to be cleared from the responsibility of any particular digging work in her future.

"What are you thinking?" she whispered in response. Lukan shrugged, "Contingencies," was all that he replied. Curious he started scanning the ground for signs of Orkoid passing.

[roll0] vs Survival (Tracking based) Perception 35, typically something like a +30 modifier for tracking a large target like an Ork.

Doc Kraken
2013-12-03, 05:10 PM
"<Good to go.>" Galemar replies, hoping his voice isn't shaking too much. "<Ma'am, if you want to come take this? Fuse works just like I said it should. I mean, I haven't tested it, but it should work.>"

"Knew you could do it." Derax grins and gives him a soft pat on the back of the helmet. "Just try not to drop it when you hand it over."

"Yeah. No dropping. Copy that."

Caimheul
2013-12-03, 05:13 PM
<'Bout time Twitch. Was starting to think you had to assemble the damn thing from scratch. Right, Mag and KC, set up as soon as the edge of the camp is in range, you'll be our fall back position. Lukan, Twitch, each of you take two fire bombs. You two and your partners'll set up further forward, in las carbine range, making sure not to be directly in front of Mag... I get all the fun of sneaking up on that blasted tower and planting this det pack. They spot me, I want suppressing fire laid down on that tower. That thing goes up, I'm hightailing it toward you lot, I'll likely have a whole mess o' ugly hot on my heels. I'm thinking a little artillery would be nice for them. Less anyone else has any better ideas?> Spectre says, a grim smile hidden by her respirator.

ArcturusV
2013-12-03, 05:27 PM
Lukan chimed in over the microbead, "Maybe give us 10 minutes before we start this run. Letting us dig in could give us the cover we need against wild Ork fire, and a safe spot for you to ditch back to and help lay down fire."

It made sense to him, they had been given extra, high grade shovels after all. Either way he was preparing to move out as commanded. He looked over at Samara, giving her a little nod.

Caimheul
2013-12-03, 06:10 PM
<I'd be more likely to agree with you trooper, if we weren't presently one and a half klicks from the target. Not really going to be providing worthwhile cover from here, are ya? Do you really think we'll be able to outrun an ork horde with vehicles this far?>

ArcturusV
2013-12-03, 07:25 PM
"meant dig in closer to firing positions, before you draw their attention with the big boom. With our camo cloaks we should be able to cover up the work right under their noses, so by the time they know anything is up... we're already dug in, fortified, and able to stack 'em up like cord wood."

Caimheul
2013-12-03, 08:09 PM
<Hundred and fifty meters is a bit closer that I like to be digging a hole.> Anastasia responds before checking her chrono to estimate how long until nightfall.
She shakes her head when she realizes nightfall is eight hours away, then pulls out the vox signaller.
<Twitch, any chance you might be able to set up a delay on this thing? I'd rather you didn't risk messing with it unless you're sure, don't really want to call an artillery strike down on our heads.>

Doc Kraken
2013-12-03, 08:46 PM
"<Ahhh...yeah. Sure. Maybe. Let me see it.">

Twitch crawls over the snow, his face still pale and sweaty despite the chill, and takes the signaling device from Anastasia's hands.

"Only one way to find out, I guess. This whole mission was about danger close, I figure they'd give us a minute or two anyway to get in gear, but it doesn't hurt to have a safety margin...hmm, think I can see how the spirit communicates with our guns. One second."

With practiced ease, he removes his combi-tool from its pouch and sets to work.

Remembering I had that thing could have helped earlier, I'm sure.

Timer tinkering (Tech-Use): [roll0] vs. 57 (37 Int, +10 Tech-Use, +10 for combi-tool)

tigerusthegreat
2013-12-03, 08:51 PM
Twitch easily finds a mechanism that will delay the sending of a signal. It is easily configurable with the combi-tool.

Doc Kraken
2013-12-03, 08:58 PM
"Yeah. Okay. Got it. See, what we're dealing with is a very eager machine spirit. You press the button, it wants to drop some ordinance on the Emperor's enemies, so it runs back and tells our boys and girls with the big guns that they've got some work to do. But if you twist right here -" Twitch demonstrates with the combi-tool, and the device clicks slightly. "That slows it down a little. Say...it lets the spirit take a nap, in layman's terms. And the more you twist, the deeper the sleep, you follow me? Each click gives us about another thirty seconds before it wakes up and realizes it's running late. Metaphorically speaking. I mean, that was kinda technical, but I think that gives you enough to go on..."

His voice trails off, and he looks back down at the device.

"What kind of delay are we talking about here?"

Caimheul
2013-12-03, 09:20 PM
"Lessee, you put a two minute timer on the det pack, so... how long you think it's gonna take for the orks to charge that way? Minute and a half, two? Four minute timer sound 'bout right on the arty strike?" Spectre asks as she starts praying to the Emperor silently.

Seems fair to me, I'll wait to roll to keep the suspense on my part I think...

ArcturusV
2013-12-03, 09:26 PM
'Might want to trim that up, sir," Lukan offered, "Got to account for the time it takes for the shells to get to target. As far away as they are it won't be instant."

Caimheul
2013-12-03, 09:28 PM
Anastasia nods as she thinks, "True, plus I won't drop it right away, won't do any good if it vaporizes before it sends the signal... Go for three minutes I guess."

Doc Kraken
2013-12-03, 09:37 PM
"Three minutes, got it. Get in, get out fast, watch the entire area explode. No problem."

Galemar makes the requisite adjustments, the beacon clicking away merrily under his combi-tool. He hands it back with a grin, the combi-tool still locked in place.

"Ready when you are, ma'am. Just need to pop that out to start the countdown."

Caimheul
2013-12-03, 11:17 PM
"No sense putting this off any longer, let's move out." Anastasia says as she carefully stows the modified vox signaller.

Right, ArcturusV and Doc Kraken, mark down that you now have 2 fire bombs each.

Stealth 1: [roll0] TN 61 (41 +20 Cloak)
Stealth 2: [roll1] TN 61 (41 +20 Cloak)
Stealth 3: [roll2] TN 61 (41 +20 Cloak)
Stealth 4: [roll3] TN 61 (41 +20 Cloak)
Stealth 5: [roll4] TN 61 (41 +20 Cloak)
Stealth 6: [roll5] TN 61 (41 +20 Cloak)
Stealth 7: [roll6] TN 61 (41 +20 Cloak)

Stage 1 complete! ...*GULP*

ArcturusV
2013-12-03, 11:33 PM
Lukan broke into a slow lope, letting the stealth gear and his own agility help find the way closer to the base. All the while he whispered, "I am the darkness that surrounds me,
I am the air that surrounds me,
I am the land that hides me,
I wait to strike,
From the Darkness,
I wait to kill,
From out of thin air,
I am invisible,
And I am silent death."

This litany was repeated over and over, keeping him focused on the task as Samara and Lukan crossed slightly less than a mile towards the base, still keeping up on the left flank, out of direct line of fire from the heavy gunner site.

[roll0] vs 41 Stealth Ag + 20 Chameoline Cloak
[roll1] vs 41 Stealth Ag + 20 Chameoline Cloak
[roll2] vs 41 Stealth Ag + 20 Chameoline Cloak
[roll3] vs 41 Stealth Ag + 20 Chameoline Cloak
[roll4] vs 41 Stealth Ag + 20 Chameoline Cloak
[roll5] vs 41 Stealth Ag + 20 Chameoline Cloak
[roll6] vs 41 Stealth Ag + 20 Chameoline Cloak

Once they were there, he set up himself as a blind, and had Samara start digging a slit trench. Despite the fearless storm trooper's words, he was still going to feel better with at least partial cover, and it wouldn't take more than a minute with the excellent tool for Samara to dig a slit trench for the two of them, completely out of sight with Lukan using his chameoline cloak to block line of sight to the orks from the work.

[roll7] vs 41 Stealth Ag +20 Chameoline Cloak
... because he wants that damned cover and it shouldn't take too long to dig a hole with specialist tools... plus I figured the previous rule was for the approach, and you'd want an extra roll for this...

Doc Kraken
2013-12-04, 12:13 AM
Galemar's version of the litany is a bit simpler.

"The Emperor protects, the Emperor protects, the Emperor protects..."

All the same, he manages to slips through the snow at a rapid pace, scurrying between drifts and doing his best to keep a low profile. Derax sticks close, splitting her attention between their surroundings and the other demolition charge swinging at Twitch's side. It might not be armed, but for some reason she just can't get the images of explosions out of her mind...

Stealth check time!

[roll0] vs. 43 (+20 for Camo-Cloak, -20 for Untrained)
[roll1] vs. 43 (+20 for Camo-Cloak, -20 for Untrained)
[roll2] vs. 43 (+20 for Camo-Cloak, -20 for Untrained)
[roll3] vs. 43 (+20 for Camo-Cloak, -20 for Untrained)
[roll4] vs. 43 (+20 for Camo-Cloak, -20 for Untrained)
[roll5] vs. 43 (+20 for Camo-Cloak, -20 for Untrained)
[roll6] vs. 43 (+20 for Camo-Cloak, -20 for Untrained)

EDIT: Phew, that was close!

Neither Guardsman feels confident enough in their stealth abilities to begin entrenchment, and as soon as they reach the hundred and fifty meter marker, they drop low, lying prone in the snow beneath their cloaks. Galemar's breath hangs heavy in the air as he looks down the barrel of his carbine, waiting for the fireworks to begin. Unbelievably, he begins to chant softly to himself, working his way through a bit of doggerel he'd once heard an officer humming.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout..."

Derax is more composed, although she can't help but give her companion an eye-roll as she searches for targets.

tigerusthegreat
2013-12-04, 10:34 PM
The 300m and 150m out firing positions are set up. As the demolition charge reaches the base of the tower, there is still the effort of getting it set up and attached in such a way as to blow the tower. There are two ork in the tower above, oblivious to your presence. Other ork mill about nearby.

(So, you need to get the charge onto the tower. I'll let you decide what skill to use, if you can justify it. Then you have two minutes to get out before it goes boom, oh, and the ork might notice you running like hell.).

ArcturusV
2013-12-04, 10:48 PM
With the slit trenches dug, and them well under cover, no sign of Alarm, Samara and Lukan both take up their role with the simple ease and unison of two people who knew each other's actions almost better than their own. Each had their Carbine out, targetter already affixed, sighting Orks down range and taking careful aim, waiting for the first sign of all hell breaking loose. Neither said a word, no one had to, not even a bad pun or ill timed joke from Lukan.

(Presume I'm taking a half round aim action, rolling, until either someone raises the alarm or something goes boom)

Caimheul
2013-12-05, 12:08 AM
Anastasia first takes the combi-tool out of the vax signaller, throwing out of the likely blast zone. She then attempts to locate a crack, joint, or other such location to place the demolition charge that it will have the most impact, barring finding one within a minute by her chrono, she plans to just jam it into the first spot it will stay before arming it. Finally she begins to make her way back to the others, attempting to remain hidden without travelling too slowly that she doesn't escape the blast radius.
Awareness: [roll0] TN 36

tigerusthegreat
2013-12-05, 08:48 AM
Anastasia jams the demo pack somewhere she thinks it will bring down the tower. Now she just has to carefully sneak back to the friendly line.

Caimheul
2013-12-05, 09:05 AM
Huddling beneath her camo cloak, Anastasia works her way back, hoping to make it a fair distance before being spotted.

Same deal as last time?
Stealth 1: [roll0] TN 61 (41 +20 Camo Cloak)
Stealth 2:[roll1] TN 61 (41 +20 Camo Cloak)
Stealth 3:[roll2] TN 61 (41 +20 Camo Cloak)
Stealth 4:[roll3] TN 61 (41 +20 Camo Cloak)
Stealth 5:[roll4] TN 61 (41 +20 Camo Cloak)
Stealth 6:[roll5] TN 61 (41 +20 Camo Cloak)
Stealth 7:[roll6] TN 61 (41 +20 Camo Cloak)
Stealth 8:[roll7] TN 61 (41 +20 Camo Cloak)
Stealth 9:[roll8] TN 61 (41 +20 Camo Cloak)
Stealth 10:[roll9] TN 61 (41 +20 Camo Cloak)

EDIT: Rolled a few spares, just in case you wanted them.

tigerusthegreat
2013-12-05, 11:15 AM
Anastasia makes it back to friendly lines.

(anything you want to do before it goes boom?)

Doc Kraken
2013-12-05, 01:12 PM
Galemar lets out a sigh of relief as Anastasia slips away from the tower. He risks a brief wave from under the shroud of his camo-cloak.

"<We good? Did you get the charge planted? Any of them see you? What can - >"

Derax silences him with a quick cuff to the back of the helmet. "You see any orks coming after her? You see a demo-charge in her hands? No? Good. Cut the chatter, and keep an eye open. This is going to get loud real soon."

(Also going to be using half-actions to aim until the noise starts!)

Caimheul
2013-12-05, 03:57 PM
<Considering I ain't full of holes, pretty sure they didn't spot me. Shouldn't be too much longer now...> Anastasia whispers into her micro-bead, as she kneels, ensuring her camo cloak has settled for maximum coverage without getting in the way, before setting her lascarbine to overload, and taking aim at any visible orks.

tigerusthegreat
2013-12-05, 03:59 PM
With 30 seconds left, you notice two ork standing at the base of the tower. They appear to me looking at the tower, approximately where the charge was placed. One of them looks down at the snow, and appears to notice the tracks leading away to your position.

Caimheul
2013-12-05, 04:11 PM
<Easy now, hold fire. Wait to see if they're smart enough to put two and two together or just start fighting each other...> Anastasia says calmly, lining up a shot on one of the Orks.

Doc Kraken
2013-12-05, 04:51 PM
"<Holding fire, holding fire...>" Twitch hisses under his breath, hands trembling slightly as he stares at the orks. "<Throne on Terra, look at the size of them! Three feet...three meters, more like! Vasburg, I'm going to make you eat that primer!>"

ArcturusV
2013-12-05, 07:23 PM
"I wasn't the one who wrote it," Lukan replied back. He was aimed on one of the Orkoids who was inspecting the charges, along with Samara following him, drawing a bead on the Ork's head. "But hell, if we couldn't take 'em... they wouldn't have sent us. Faith in the Emperor, remember your Litany of Smiting, we fight for his glory."

Caimheul
2013-12-05, 07:32 PM
<Cut the chatter. Overload or overcharge setting recommended, regardless of anything written by REMFs.> Anastasia says with a sneer, remembering the stories the abbots at the school told of their time in service.

tigerusthegreat
2013-12-05, 07:42 PM
One of the orks yells up to the two in the tower, and they open up with the heavy guns. They shoot near enough to Anastasia's position that you believe they know where at least some of you are at. However, none of the rounds hit.

Caimheul
2013-12-06, 03:35 PM
<Steady... They're probably just scouting with bullets... If we don't return fire they might get distracted and move on...> Anastasia says coolly, making sure her camo cloak is covering her properly.

Stealth: [roll0] TN 61 (41 +20 Camo Cloak)
Half action aim at one of the orks at the base of the tower.

Doc Kraken
2013-12-06, 11:10 PM
Anastasia's disciplined warning comes too late; Twitch, already on edge, reacts to the incoming fire by flicking his lascarbine into overload mode and squeezing the trigger as fast as he can.

"You want some?" He yells, his voice all but lost in the steady thump of the bolter and the crack of lasguns as Derax joins the attack. "Eat it, you frakking xenos! Eat it!"

Half action: Aim
Free Action: Change carbine setting to Overload
Free Action: Order (Ranged Volley)
Half Action: Semi-Auto Burst at the closest ork on the ground: [roll0] vs. 56 (41 BS + 10 for Aim +5 for Ranged Volley -10 for long range reduced to +0 by targeter + 0 for Semi-Auto Burst)

Extra hits will be allocated to the same target. 52/60 shots left in loaded charge pack

Doc Kraken
2013-12-06, 11:16 PM
D'oh! Forgot to roll damage!

Strikes me as an important thing to do.

First hit: [roll0] (1d10+3, +2 for overload mode)
Righteous Fury (if applicable): [roll1]

Second hit: [roll2](1d10+3, +2 for overload mode)
Righteous Fury (if applicable): [roll3]

ArcturusV
2013-12-07, 07:38 PM
Well, so much for stealth.

Lukan was aimed down already, and barely adjusted his aim in response to the new situation, he flicked his switch on the storm trooper's suggestion, maxing it out. He whispered to Samara, "Dropping the package," letting her know just what he was planning. Together they were scoped in with the targetter, and fired off their shots towards the leg of the Ork that had not been fired at yet. No battle cry, no screaming. Just cold, well aimed precision from him and his sister.

Attack Roll: [roll0] If I recall my Modifier math it's -20 for Called Shot lessened to -10 by Targetter, +10 to take it up to 0 for the Aim action prior, +5 for Samara firing as well and being in cohesion, and +10 for using a single shot rather than semi-auto, with a +10 for "Unaware Target" as it has no idea I'm there due to Stealthing, for a total of +25 with my BS of 41. Gun becomes Unreliable due to Overload.
Damage: [roll1] for the standard Lascarbine damage +2 damage and +2 Pen for the Overload, uses four charges 56/60.

tigerusthegreat
2013-12-08, 10:52 PM
One of the ork catches a shot in the leg, and the collective group seem to forget about the placed explosives. Both guns open up, and you can hear the cry of Waaaagh. Two gretchins take the place of the gunners on the tower, the weedier greenskins show some improved accuracy. A rocket flies by, landing between the two dug in positions, injuring nobody. You can see vehicles coming closer, but none are in range yet, and no other ork have arrived on the scene. The two ork by the tower, and the two that were on top have dove for cover, none yet brave enough to charge you.

[roll0]
[roll1]

The gretchin barrage doesn't hit anyone, but the fire will make it hard to move (Each gun is supressing one of the 150m positions).

Rounds til explosion: 4
Rounds til artillery signaller goes off: 14
Rounds til artillery lands: ???

Doc Kraken
2013-12-09, 11:46 AM
Twitch takes no notice of the incoming fire stitching holes through the snow. He doesn't hear the ork war-cries or the sound of their own guns, and he no longer registers the cold. He's far too pumped up on adrenaline and righteous fury to care about any of that. The barrel of his lascarbine swings up, pointing at the gretchin.

"Oh, you want some too? Come on! I don't have all frakking day! Come on!"

Half action: Aim
Free Action: Order (Ranged Volley)
Half Action: Standard Attack at the closest gretchin: [roll0] vs. 46 (41 BS + 10 for Aim +5 for Ranged Volley -10 for long range + 10 for Standard Attack -10 for Weedy)

48/60 shots left in loaded charge pack

Doc Kraken
2013-12-09, 11:49 AM
Hit: [roll0] (1d10+3, +2 for overload mode)
Righteous Fury (if applicable): [roll1]

Caimheul
2013-12-09, 12:41 PM
Spectre curses under her breath when Twitch opens fire before the signal, making a mental note to remind him of the definition of the phrases fire discipline and stealth operation. Switching her carbine to overload, she calmly attempts to snipe the Gretchin firing in her general direction. <Mag, probably a good idea you save your fire for the eventual charge.> she suggests, fully expecting to be ignored as usual.

Half Action: Aim
Half Action: Standard Attack: [roll0] TN 46 (46 -10 Long Range -10 Weedy +10 Standard Attack +10 Aim)
Damage: [roll1] Pen 2

Wounds: 16/16
Critical Damage: 0
Fatigue: 0/3
Fate: 1/1
Ammunition:
Las carbine: 56/60
Charge Packs: 4/4
Hot-Shot: 30/30
Charge Packs: 3/3

ArcturusV
2013-12-09, 04:53 PM
"Stay safe, and bring that fatass down," Lukan whispered harshly to Samara. They were both taking cover in the foxhole that they had dug as rounds peppered the area around them. "... teach me for backin' up the spanner kid..." he muttered as the both peeked over the lip of the entrenched position. Samara and him snapping off a quick shot at the Ork they hit earlier before taking cover again.

(Not ACTUALLY taking cover, just playing into the Pinned condition and it's inability to not be cowering in a hole)

[roll0] +10 for Single Shot action, +5 for Volley Fire, base BS of 41 for a total of 56. Gun is still Unreliable due to Overload.
[roll1] Standard Las Carbine damage, +2 Damage, +2 Pen. Used up 4 shots of charge, down to 52/60.
[roll2] +30 for being in cover to break Pinning, base Willpower of 35 for a 65 total.

LeSwordfish
2013-12-10, 04:53 AM
"That's what I was thinking." Mag muttered in response, squinting at the gretchen through his targeter. "On the other hand..."

Okay, worth a shot. Mag is going to use his carbine to try and shoot one of the gretchen. on the last turn: ready carbine, half action aim. Half action aim, single shot on overload mode.

+10 SS
-30 Range
+10 Targeter
+20 Aim
-10 Size.
BS 47, roll [roll0] vs 47
Dodge: [roll1]
damage:[roll2], pen 2

tigerusthegreat
2013-12-10, 01:38 PM
One shot nails a gretchin, but he keeps firing, knowing that a few bullet wounds are preferable to a choppa in the face. The wounded ork takes a hit that burns through his cover, but still lives. The few ork gathere fire rampantly around the area but don't hit anything. The gretchin's supression fire continues, and they don't hit anything either.

The vehicles are closing still, probably will be in range shortly (1 round until they appear on the map).

Suddenly the front two positions get rocked by explosions. A third round lands on top of Lukan, exploding, and his dug in position is of no help. The flak armor took some of the fragments, but he feels a jagged piece of metal jammed in his side between the armor plates (10 damage - 1 flak (3pen) - 2 toughness -1 flak protection vs blast = 6 damage). Samara is also hit by the explosive force, wounding her.

Rounds til explosion: 3
Rounds til artillery signaller goes off: 13

Note: since the round's deviation was zero, I'm taking that as a direct hit and no protection from the fortified position. Anything that deviates even a small distance will give you full cover from the position.

Doc Kraken
2013-12-10, 02:48 PM
Galemar's eyes widen as the rocket slams into the Vasburg's position, barely drowning out the sound of approaching engines. He wipes a spray of snow from his photo-visor, voice cracking in panic.

"Ah, frak! Frak! <Ma'am, we gotta fall back! We've called in the strike already, they know we're here, what the frak are we hanging around for?> Jet, move! Get outta the kill zone!"

So saying, he rolls backwards, cloak flying around him as bolt shells slam into the ground. After a moment's hesitation, Derax follows, keeping her head low and throwing nervous glances at the smoke billowing from the other team's trench.

Half action: Move four meters away from the tower.
Free action: Move order for Derax to keep up.
Test to escape pinning: [roll0] vs. 28

Caimheul
2013-12-10, 03:19 PM
<Pull back, try to cover your tracks in the snow. Mag cover our withdrawal. We'll have to come back to confirm the kill> Anastasia says to herself as she attempts to get out of the Gretchen manned heavy bolter's kill zone.

Not in cover, so HAVE to move away from the Heavy Bolter.
Half action move away from heavy bolter, in general direction of nearest woods/anywhere else she could hide from the mini WAAAGH! that is slowly beginning...
Stealth as part of the move: [roll0] TN 61

Recovery: [roll1] TN 33

ArcturusV
2013-12-11, 12:35 PM
"... always have to save someone..." Lukan shook his head. Despite the fear he felt at the moment, despite the large, crude, rattling guns and their bullets storming his way, he still cracked a smile, his eye shifting towards Samara, "... stay down, okay?" Nodding towards Samara she hit the deck in the trench, hugging the cover as much as possible. Lukan reached down to his rigging, pulling off a canister, pulling the pin. "Dropping smoke, prepare to break contact and dig in, sir," he sent over the microbead. He chucked the grenade, aiming for a spot about 10 meters behind them towards the Orkoids, and equidistant between the two retreating groups on the lateral, the Stormtrooper, and Operator and Sidekick, so the smoke would spread out and cover both of them.

[roll0] vs 41 BS for a smoke grenade chuck, +10 for a single shot action. Range should be within the second range increment as near as I can guess from the narrative, so no Long or Extreme range penalty, right?
Samara is on the Taking Cover order.
In case I need a scatter roll:
[roll1]
[roll2]

LeSwordfish
2013-12-18, 01:13 PM
Mag racked his cannon and lowered his eye to aim. "Come on, you xenos bastards," he muttered. "Let's see what colour your insides are."

"Probably green." KC suggested.

OOC
Resuming Overwatch.

tigerusthegreat
2013-12-18, 09:17 PM
A smoke grenade begins to fill the area with covering smoke. One of the gretchins falls to the ground, bleeding profusely. Part of the squad starts moving away from the ork camp. The bolter fire only pins Lukan and Samara, as nobody is serving the other gun. Mortar rounds land nearby, but don't hurt anyone.

Rounds til explosion: 2
Rounds til artillery signaller goes off: 12

Caimheul
2013-12-19, 10:39 AM
Despite the gun silencing Anastasia continues to attempt to stealthily move away from the ork camp at an angle.

Half action move.
Stealth: [roll0] TN 61
Recovery: [roll1] TN 33/63 (Depends on if the mortar rounds count as being "shot at," which I assume they do.) EDIT: Forgot the +20 for smoke, so should be 53/83

ArcturusV
2013-12-19, 03:30 PM
"Stay down," Lukan told Samara again, seeing that she was about to get up once more. The smoke screen seemed to be successful... and the Orkoids were only shooting at HIM now... well... at least he had a nice pile of ice and dirt between him and the rattle of the guns. A nice, comforting little hole in the ground.

He peeked over the edge of the foxhole, drawing a bead downrange and checking on the activity of the ork camp, making sure no one was running his ass down.

Ordered Samara to still take cover.
Taking a half-action Aim downrange.
Pinning Test: [roll0] vs 35 Willpower + 30 for being in Cover.

Doc Kraken
2013-12-20, 12:27 AM
Derax chances a quick look over her shoulder.

"Why ain't they charging?" She growls. "They've got us on the run, man. Why ain't they charging?"

"What, you care?" Twitch shoots back. "Keep moving!" Only then, as the smoke rolls over him, does he seem to realize that not everyone has retreated...

Half action: Move another four meters back toward Mag.
Test to break pinning: [roll0] vs. 48/78 (depending on whether or not the mortar fire counts as being shot at, as Caim says.)

"They're gone, man. They've gotta be gone." He groans, doing his best not to think about what was happening behind him.

tigerusthegreat
2014-01-12, 11:28 AM
With the smoke screen the group is able to flee from the oncoming ork. The smoke obscures a good look at the enemy camp, but only sporadic bolter fire is coming from the tower, and no more mortar rounds land for the time being.

Rounds til explosion: 1
Rounds til artillery signaller goes off: 11

LeSwordfish
2014-01-12, 01:51 PM
KC swore and spat into the snow. "Luk's still down there. We should be heading in after him."

Mag gestured at the camp. "Look at them. We'd be massacred, and we can't carry the cannon."

KC shook her head. "We could. And we should. You're the backup, you've got the firepower. If Luk or Sam don't come back, it's your fault."

Mag sighed, and toggled his microbead. "Stormtrooper, you're the tactician. Do we move up and get Luk out or what?"

OOC: Maintain Overwatch.

Caimheul
2014-01-13, 05:54 AM
"That's my job, keep us covered. Lukan, Samara, we're pulling out!" Anastasia says as she tosses smoke in an effort to return the favour to the entrenched trooper.

[roll0] TN 62 (42 +10 single shot +10 Half action Aim)
Scatter: [roll1] [roll2]

ArcturusV
2014-01-13, 06:25 AM
Lukan popped up from the slit trench as the smoke started covering his location. There was a bit of fear in the back of his mind, unable to see if the Orks were bearing down or not. The death at the hands of their crude looking weapons? He could have dealt with that. He would have died to keep Samara, and to the lesser extent, the others, alive. Not knowing when, and if, round was going to come out of the smoke or a blade would crash down on his skull was far more unnerving.

"Come on, we're out of here!" Lukan told Samara, dragging his sister back up onto his feet. She nodded, numb and accepting her elder brother's guidance as they started running, slightly swerving to throw off aim, all the time Lukan whispering to himself, "Mighty Emperor, spread your divine light to protect me from the darkness," over and over as he made his dash with Samara.

Making a mad dash away, run speed.
Note that anyone shooting at me does so at -70, -20 for running, and -20 for the smoke, -30 for Camoleoline Cloak.
Stealth Test as part of the retreat:
[roll0] vs 46 Stealth, +20 Cameoline Cloak, +10 for Smoke cover, total of 76

Doc Kraken
2014-01-16, 10:18 AM
"C'mon!" Galemar gasps desperately as a few sporadic bolts kick up puffs of snow around them. "We've gotta get out of here, we've gotta get somewhere where we can - "

"The Vasburgs!" Derax cuts in. "You know they ain't gone, man! They need cover fire! We can't just leave them!"

Half action: Move another four meters back toward Mag.
Test to break pinning: [roll0] vs. 78 (presumably I haven't been shot at; if so, it's 48 instead.)

"...dammit. Damn damn damn damn." Twitch curses softly, switching his micro-bead on. "<Vasburgs! C'mon, get the frak out of there! We've got you covered!">

tigerusthegreat
2014-01-29, 04:57 PM
A large explosion topples the tower, crushing the heavy gunners and landing on one of the trukks. The explosion and chaos causes the ork to stop approaching, and the heavy guns aren't firing. The squad slinks away, hoping the confusion and smoke will help them get away.

ArcturusV
2014-02-01, 06:49 AM
Lukan and Samara were running as a pair, arms holding each other up, drawing on the strength of their blood bond and years and years of having survived scraps... not quite like this, but some hard times. It wasn't the first that they had each taken a bad beating and limped away.

When they passed Mag on the retreat Samara softly called out, "Got a Lho? ... thing I need one after all that..."

Lukan just shook his head, "We pissed 'em off right good, they're bound to come looking for us. I rather be right well dug in nice and proper next time the bullets start flyin'. You all might want to consider it too."

Doc Kraken
2014-02-01, 07:04 PM
"Frak," Twitch says as he stumbles through the snow, softly and with feeling. "How the frak did we survive that?"

"We didn't, moron." Derax replies shortly. "Not yet. They ain't gonna stop now that they know we're out here. Keep moving!"

Caimheul
2014-02-02, 03:16 PM
"What we need is a defensible position that is also hidden. If we're lucky, they'll pass us by. If we're not, well, at least we're dug in."

Doc Kraken
2014-02-03, 10:55 AM
"Yeah...okay, yeah..." Twitch looks around wildly. "Somewhere to hide. Good. Let's do that. You got any suggestions?"