PDA

View Full Version : World of Darkness: South Park Edition

Scowling Dragon
2013-11-30, 12:49 AM
I know this sounds stupid.....But south park would make a PERFECT WOD setting.

The world is riddled with conspiracies, things beyond comprehension.

People are meaner, angrier and more crude.

AuraTwilight
2013-11-30, 02:44 AM
It's also too lighthearted and optimistic and people have too much capacity to change the world at large.

BWR
2013-11-30, 04:14 AM
So it would basically be like trying to play Paranoia straight.

Deffers
2013-11-30, 04:18 AM
I'm not sure it'd be playing it straight... it'd be a hell of a trip, though. The world might be too light-hearted, yeah... and as someone who passes by the real South Park, Colorado on the way to college every day, it'd be just a tad surreal.:smallbiggrin:

I can't say I dislike the idea-- setting it up all the way might even be something worth doing in the worldbuilding forum!

Slipperychicken
2013-11-30, 10:39 AM
It's also too lighthearted and optimistic and people have too much capacity to change the world at large.

I haven't watched it in a while, but I don't recall there being anything really optimistic about South Park.

BWR
2013-11-30, 10:55 AM
Are you kidding? In most cases the big threat is defeated, things go back to normal with little or no difference to the status quo, and the main characters never really have life get worse for them.

And let's face it, in WoD, who cares about anyone but themselves?

Slipperychicken
2013-11-30, 11:09 AM
Are you kidding? In most cases the big threat is defeated, things go back to normal with little or no difference to the status quo, and the main characters never really have life get worse for them.

I was thinking more about the cynical worldview it has. Also, I take the status quo thing more as a way to hit the "reset button" for each episode, than a reflection of how optimistic it is.

Axiomatic
2013-11-30, 11:29 AM
Do things not usually return to the Status Quo in WoD?

The Glyphstone
2013-11-30, 12:10 PM
Do things not usually return to the Status Quo in WoD?

Yeah, but it's inverted. In South Park, the Bad Thing goes away/is defeated and the world returns to its normal crappiness. In WoD, the Good Thing is rendered impotent/pointless/short-term and the world will (eventually) return to its normal crappiness. Same end point, but different directions and themes along the way.

Kid Jake
2013-11-30, 12:29 PM
Of course that just means the entire campaign should be a single episode and it should end abruptly with Cartman and LL Cool J, dressed as Blade, swooping in and saving the day; leaving the PCs wondering what the hell just happened.

Jack of Spades
2013-11-30, 12:34 PM
WoD's humanity rules would also be a good fit for the way that characters in SP tend to devolve. SP and WoD also share an important element of apathy, in that in both cases no one is trying very hard (or, more often, very effectively) to cover up the supernatural elements of the world.

If not WoD, one of the Cthulhu games would also probably be a great fit-- especially since he's in show.

AuraTwilight
2013-11-30, 05:22 PM
Not at all. Cthulhu was defeated too easily.

Honestly, you're better off using a more comical system like Toon or something and dumping in a buttload of adult humor.

tensai_oni
2013-11-30, 05:55 PM
I don't see why you need a comedy system to play a comedy game. World of Darkness would be great at simulating South Park.

After all, the system is already a joke.

The Glyphstone
2013-12-01, 12:15 AM
I don't see why you need a comedy system to play a comedy game. World of Darkness would be great at simulating South Park.

After all, the system is already a joke.

www.instantrimshot.com