PDA

View Full Version : Trenches and Trebuchets

TandemChelipeds
2013-11-30, 01:51 AM
Ok, so I stumbled across this image, and now I kinda want to turn it into a setting: http://th02.deviantart.net/fs32/PRE/f/2008/220/9/3/The_Trench_by_michaelkutsche.jpg

Originally, what I had in mind involved lots of time-travel dickery, but time-travel plots are a pain and it sounded a bit wacky, given the grim tone of the image, so I've decided to opt for something grimmer and darker, following a fairly logical, if pulpy, progression of events. Have some flavour text:

(ironic national anthem, evoking the Ozymandian pride of a fallen empire) (http://www.youtubedoubler.com/?video1=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3 DtN9EC3Gy6Nk&start1=&video2=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D 82GoiIMS6Ig&start2=&authorName=)
Gigantic asteroids hit the Earth in the midst of the Great War, obliterating civilization as we know it and throwing the world into chaos. In Europe, feudal lords and the fractious remnants of the church rise out of the ashes, and with them comes the only stability to be found. Industrial engineering is nearly a lost art, and the machines that came with it are cherished relics of a lost age.

Every day, the sons of England fight each other from trench to trench over holdings and livestock, armed with Lee-Enfield rifles and claymores, vested in chainmail and brodie helmets, mounted on horses and the occasional motorbike, breaking sieges with trebuchets and precious artillery fire. All owe their ultimate fealty to the Queen, but beyond that, scant unity is to be found. Their lieges care not for their sacrifice, but greedily eye vulnerable lands and guard their own from the baleful gaze of their contemporaries.

But it gets worse. The asteroids had passengers. Unfriendly passengers, with altogether too many tentacles for comfort. An entire alien ecosystem has the planet in its grip, and with every passing day it sinks its roots a little deeper into our soil. Terrible apex predators stalk the earth, and unspeakable beasts infest the waters of the seas. Some, maddened by the horrors of the new world, have taken to worshiping the visitors as gods. Maybe they're right; the creatures themselves seem utterly unaffected by the human effort to dislodge them.

You are a scavenger living in the heart of the former British empire. Can you maintain a stiff upper lip in the face of armageddon? Can you brave the horrors of another world and the brutality of feudal trench warfare? Can you survive the depredations of depraved cultists and still have time for tea?

I think it's pretty good, as a vague skeleton for a setting, but the devil's in the details. I don't know for sure what to do, on a mechanical level or a fluff level. I'm thinking of running this in a houseruled variant of Pathfinder, but I have a few questions for the community here:
>Big one: Magic or no magic? No magic seems to suit the setting and tone better, but without it how do I handle healing and general game balance? I think I can make magic work, fluffwise, and it should help break up the monotony of such a bleak setting, so I'm leaning towards it at the moment.
>How do I handle currency? British currency didn't use a decimal system until the 1970s, and I really don't want to go through the entire equipment list repricing it. I could implement a Purchase DC system like in d20 Modern, but if I do that, how do I decide on DCs? I think I can unify Purchase and Appraise, though, so I shouldn't have to modify character sheets for it.
>Do I use nonhuman races? I could explain them as mutants if I want, but I don't know if that's something I really want to do.
>Do I use a full level progression, or run it as an E6 game?
>What do you think of this approach to alignment?
Replace the alignment system with the allegiance system from d20 Modern, with the tweak that most allegiances fall under one of four categories: Church, State, Market, or Academic. Each of these categories functions as an alignment in terms of its interactions with the rules: Church as Good, State as Lawful, Market as Chaotic, and Academic as Evil.

Note that these categories don't necessarily match up with the moral and ethical positions they function as; An agent of the church is not necessarily a good person, and a professor is not necessarily evil. Someone with a Church allegiance is simply more likely to be slinging Holy Water around and summoning heavenly beasties, while someone with an Academic allegiance is more likely to have studied the occult, and therefore to willingly enter dealings with "demonic" entities. Also, unlike the alignment system, it's perfectly possible to have allegiances that fall under categories opposite each other.

Two similar allegiances can still fall under different categories; For example, a soldier of the Soviet Union who fights for the motherland has a State allegiance to the USSR, while one who simply adheres to the ideology of Communism has an Academic allegiance to Communism. The latter could conceivably commit treason if they felt that it contributed to the overall realization of global revolution, while the former would be obliged to stop them. And yes, given that this takes place in an alternate timeline that diverges at around late WWI, both of those are feasible characters, though how they ended up in Britain would be a very good question indeed.

Blackhawk748
2013-11-30, 12:00 PM
First off, love the idea, secondly for magic i would take a chapter out of HP Lovecraft, make it take longer, but last longer. For example, it takes 15 minutes to cast Bulls Strength but it then last for 1hr/2 caster levels. Things of that nature, and the best part is you can still have fireball, but they should probably have to use HP or something similar, also might i recommend using Bard progression for casters?

Edit: Just realized that a Warlock should fit into this world fine with little change.

TandemChelipeds
2013-11-30, 05:25 PM
First off, love the idea, secondly for magic i would take a chapter out of HP Lovecraft, make it take longer, but last longer. For example, it takes 15 minutes to cast Bulls Strength but it then last for 1hr/2 caster levels. Things of that nature, and the best part is you can still have fireball, but they should probably have to use HP or something similar, also might i recommend using Bard progression for casters?

Edit: Just realized that a Warlock should fit into this world fine with little change.

Fluff-wise, that sounds good, but I don't really want to do that for two reasons. 1: It'll probably throw off the balance of the game(though since my second objection is basically that it's something that weakens magic, and magic's pretty OP to begin with anyway, this might not be so bad), and 2: It'll break up the flow of gameplay. My primary rule here is that I don't want to ruin the fun of the game; it's why I didn't just make it a monsterless, nonmagical postapocalyptic setting of feudal trench warfare and call it a day.

That being said, what you said about using a bard progression has piqued my interest. Wizards don't really make sense in a world this brutal, unless they've spent their entire lives cloistered away in a university. I might have to take out full-progression casters. Assuming Pathfinder classes, this leaves the Paladin, Ranger, Bard, Alchemist, Inquisitor, Magus, and Summoner. Actually, I really like this idea. I can see every one of these classes fitting into a niche in this world. The downside is that it leaves out the Witch, which I think would have fit really well too. Also, no Clerics, though it's not hard to justify their survival, given CODzilla, and there are a couple of other classes that fill their niche as divine casters. If the party really needs a healer, I could see a Chirurgeon-archetype Alchemist doing the job. Actually, I could make that a recurring NPC. A really creepy medic/apothecary, wandering the battlefields looking for patients to work on. I love that word. Apothecary.

Alexkubel
2013-11-30, 08:32 PM
sound cool

with any setting like this, Coolness Vs balance Vs realism will be a factor because, 30 men armed with rifles, they stand and shoot, you'll go for melee attacks against them then. Fix bayonets! bayonets turn rifles into spears pretty much. meaning the guy with the rifle is in the best situation. so balance says tone down the firepower, or tone up everything else.

also are there tanks? you know the early ones, not later ones.

and I'd not be surprised if the king of England still had some power, he could unite the lords against a common foe and whatnots.

EDIT: hang on if there's The USSR then there must be tanks!

TandemChelipeds
2013-11-30, 09:47 PM
sound cool

with any setting like this, Coolness Vs balance Vs realism will be a factor because, 30 men armed with rifles, they stand and shoot, you'll go for melee attacks against them then. Fix bayonets! bayonets turn rifles into spears pretty much. meaning the guy with the rifle is in the best situation. so balance says tone down the firepower, or tone up everything else.

also are there tanks? you know the early ones, not later ones.

and I'd not be surprised if the king of England still had some power, he could unite the lords against a common foe and whatnots.

EDIT: hang on if there's The USSR then there must be tanks!

Tanks have been developed, yes. But remember, society's in a state of decay, and most of them would have been deployed overseas anyway. Good luck finding a working one.

Seriously, I should actually make that a quest. Any lord would love to have a tank.

Mith
2013-11-30, 10:15 PM
Like the idea. SOmething to consider is that there will be wars over oil reserves since the only hopes the people would have in keeping technology running is by keeping a hold of fuel and trying to refine it. Also, how long after the impact is this taking place? Right after? Or a while later?

Also, did magic exist before or after the aliens came? If it only happened after, then all casters would be viewed with mistrust and fear, since they will be considered connected to the aliens and thus the end of civilization.

TandemChelipeds
2013-11-30, 10:35 PM
Like the idea. SOmething to consider is that there will be wars over oil reserves since the only hopes the people would have in keeping technology running is by keeping a hold of fuel and trying to refine it. Also, how long after the impact is this taking place? Right after? Or a while later?

Also, did magic exist before or after the aliens came? If it only happened after, then all casters would be viewed with mistrust and fear, since they will be considered connected to the aliens and thus the end of civilization.

These are good questions, and I've been thinking about them all for a while, actually. I'm glad you brought them up. It would take a while for an entirely new social structure to establish itself, so I'm thinking it must have been at least a few decades since the impact. The present day at the earliest.

Fuel and ammo will both be resources that are fought over, though ammo is less of an issue since some people still know how to make it. Engineers would have technical power in a world like this; I can imagine them holding a social position similar to priests. In fact, I've been debating making that a class, or possibly just an archetype.

I'm thinking the Crown would make an effort to seize and stockpile fuel for the purposes of aerial runs to the mainland, power generators for the royal family, motorbikes for scouts, etc. Maybe someone has found a way to make an internal combustion engine that runs on processed alien fats. Either way, animal fat is probably used to lubricate artillery cannons and the like.

I'm not entirely sure what I'll do with magic. My current conception of the situation is that it's something that was always physically possible, and there were incomplete records of ancient pagan rituals and incantations, but it wasn't until the arrival of the aliens that the academics studying these writings were able to connect some necessary dots; the magic is essentially Lovecraftian in nature. Magic-users are mistrusted, yes, and sometimes viewed as Satanic by the ignorant, but they aren't hunted down or anything, with the exception of the occasional lynch mob. Divine magic can be an exception. A paladin or inquisitor will be viewed as a miracle-worker, carrying out the work of God in the people's time of need. I'm not sure what the truth will be about that, but I imagine it will be quite a bit more sinister than it appears.

Alexkubel
2013-12-01, 03:23 PM
may I suggest something.

if you're having academic as one 'morality' and religious as the other, then alignment based casters may be appropriate.
just saying

TandemChelipeds
2013-12-01, 03:29 PM
may I suggest something.

if you're having academic as one 'morality' and religious as the other, then alignment based casters may be appropriate.
just saying

Nothing's set in stone. I seem to recall specifically listing the exclusion of clerics as one of the drawbacks to cutting out full-progression casters.

Thunderfist12
2013-12-01, 03:31 PM
OhmygodthisisawesomewheredoIsignupforthisamazingpe iceofawesomeworldbuildingideanesssoIcantaintImeanc ontributetothisthread

That's Thunder-speak for: "This is fricking awesome."

TandemChelipeds
2013-12-01, 03:41 PM
OhmygodthisisawesomewheredoIsignupforthisamazingpe iceofawesomeworldbuildingideanesssoIcantaintImeanc ontributetothisthread

That's Thunder-speak for: "This is fricking awesome."

http://www.ww1propaganda.com/sites/default/files/3g10868u-76.jpg?1308433321

Sign right up, lad! See the world! Drive a tank! Line starts there.

Wait a tick. Are you eighteen? Oh, the devil with it. We're fighting a war here. NEXT!

Agent 451
2013-12-01, 03:51 PM
When are you having this occur exactly? Is it shortly after the impact, or has society had say 50 or 100 years to readjust and stabilize somewhat? This could be an important issue, the later it is the higher chance that currency has changed, possibly to a 100:10:1 copper/silver/gold standard (maybe they imported it from France or something :smalltongue:).

As for magic, it could be more of a developing plot issue, with the invaders demonstrating things that we just can't understand, but are wreaking havoc on human troops. Thus it becomes a necessity to identify and appropriate this new "weapon" for their own needs and survival. Think of it, commando raids for an ancient otherworldly grimoire! I'd play it.

And as a completely unsubtle hint, are you looking for players at all? I'm in your neck of the woods :smallwink:

edit: somehow missed the time-frame you noted above :smallredface:

TandemChelipeds
2013-12-02, 05:13 AM
When are you having this occur exactly? Is it shortly after the impact, or has society had say 50 or 100 years to readjust and stabilize somewhat? This could be an important issue, the later it is the higher chance that currency has changed, possibly to a 100:10:1 copper/silver/gold standard (maybe they imported it from France or something :smalltongue:).

As for magic, it could be more of a developing plot issue, with the invaders demonstrating things that we just can't understand, but are wreaking havoc on human troops. Thus it becomes a necessity to identify and appropriate this new "weapon" for their own needs and survival. Think of it, commando raids for an ancient otherworldly grimoire! I'd play it.

And as a completely unsubtle hint, are you looking for players at all? I'm in your neck of the woods :smallwink:

edit: somehow missed the time-frame you noted above :smallredface:

Yeah, it's had time to change. But it's all been a process of decline. What can I say, I'm a cynic at heart.

I've had a very specific notion in my head that most of the magical writings academics have found are recovered from Sumerian excavations. Something just appeals to me about wizards having to read in cuneiform.

Are you in the SW area, and do you already have a group? I'm not actually used to DMing, and I might be moving soon anyway, but I'll play just about any game if it isn't FATAL. Reply in PM, please; I don't want to derail the thread.

thorr-kan
2013-12-04, 06:25 PM
Use the Incantation system for d20 Modern *in* Unearthed Arcana for your magic system. Don't use any spellcasters at all.

And/or tack on the d20 Call of Cthulhu magic system.

Thunderfist12
2013-12-05, 03:02 PM
^^ since you brought up Call of Cthulu: where can I find the stuff for that? Been looking for the RPG books for years.

thorr-kan
2013-12-06, 11:44 AM
^^ since you brought up Call of Cthulu: where can I find the stuff for that? Been looking for the RPG books for years.

d20 CoC, which I bought years ago. Ebay might be your best bet, but it was pricey the last time I looked.

I don't believe there was ever a legal .pdf release, since it was a WotC product.