PDA

View Full Version : Dungeon Crawl: First Party

HuskyBoi
2013-11-30, 04:49 AM
The four of you stand on the stage, hands raised in triumph, and the crowd roars and cheers once more, the volume almost deafening. Thousands of warriors, mercenaries, hedge wizards, wandering troublemakers and seekers-of-all-fortune have travelled to Baron Washgovi's annual festival of adventure. Jousts, arena battles, duels between summoned beasts and obstacle courses of all descriptions are set up across acres of land for all to participate. But you four, standing on the stage by the Baron himself, have the greatest honour, and the greatest challenge. You have been selected to participate in the Dungeon of Death. A hundred thousand gold sovereigns, endless glory, and a trophy in the shape of a golden trout await you, should you survive. But more importantly, if you survive, you will have the distinct reward of being the first party ever to do so.

The door lies open behind you, and Baron Washgovi has delivered his speech to the cheering crowd. The time has come. You turn around and enter the dungeon.

There are no lights inside, only what little seeps through from outdoors. The corridor is only five feet wide, paved with heavy stone slabs. The walls are stone too, roughly chiseled into shape at the entrance. The ceiling is a good eight feet high, plenty for everyone. Ahead of you, the corridor continues for twenty-five feet before it turns to the left.

Select a marching order, and enter the Dungeon of Death. Champions, good luck.

doko239
2013-11-30, 01:14 PM
As the group enters the maze, Knicknack seems twitchy and on edge, even for a goblin.

"Knicknack not even know why he here! One minute is eating muchtasty fourlegs in forest beside bigpeoples stonehouse, next minute is getting bonked on head and tied up! Bigpeoples say Knicknack "poaching" and in muchlots bigtrouble! Say he run dungeon or bigpeople kill Knicknack! Knicknack no want die! Just want eat muchtasty fourlegs in quiet place with no nasty mean bigpeoples to hurt Knicknack!"

iTookUrNick
2013-11-30, 02:49 PM
"That sound entirely reasonable" interjects Peter, unfazed by the Goblin's articulation capabilitues (or lack thereof). "knicknak lets anthony and me forward, we find boom things and growl things. We jump boom things and kill growl things, and then we get out and eat tasty fourlegs no problem, ok?"

"By the way, here's a cure stick. You can use it if we need it, yes?" adds, handing him a wand of Infernal healing.

I suggest the rogue in front, with me aiding with the trouble-spotting detail.

kemarianking
2013-12-02, 12:58 AM
Entering the dungeon Vincent looks around, squinting as his eyes adjust to the sudden darkness. His temples throb a little, the last vestiges of the epic hangover he'd been suffering from all day. Standing outside with the crowd roaring had been agony, but the comparative silence of the dungeon was soothing.
As the Goblin and Swirfneblin begin to chatter, Vince ignores them and instead double checks his equipment; adjusting a few straps here and there, making sure his vials and potions are strapped in and safe. Once that is done, he turns to his brother.

"Alright little brother. Care to do the honors?"

He grins, revealing his slightly stained teeth as he draws his bow.

"I'll take the rear. Hah, the rear..."

Kritical Kiwi
2013-12-02, 06:10 AM
Not one for chatter, Anthony eyed his two newfound "friends" for a moment before donning his Goggles of the night.

"Stay at least 30 feet behind me, if I put my hand up, halt, if I beckon towards you, move up to me, if I start shouting, charge in. Let's try and find a way around any enemies if we can."

Steeled for whatever lay ahead, Anthony crouched and began to move forward through the dungeon, moving as quietly as possible, and keeping a keen eye on his surroundings.

Stealth: [roll0]
Perception: [roll1]
Anthony is moving at full speed due to fast stealth

iTookUrNick
2013-12-02, 08:48 AM
Respecting the directives of their "senior" trouble-spotter, Peter follows 30ft behind. He strives to make himself as inconspicuous as possible, but he knows he is not as skilled as the other. He tries to make up for it with his superior sighting capabilities.
[roll0] (including -5 penalty for normal speed)
[roll1]. This include Superior Darkvision (120ft), Low-light vision and Spirit sense (detecting presence/absence within 60ft of undead, fey, outsiders, astral, incorporeal, ethereal creatures). It does not include a +5 bonus vs traps within 10ft.

kemarianking
2013-12-02, 04:54 PM
Vincent rolls his neck, working out a few kinks of his muscles, then hunches down and follows suit.

Stealth - (1d20+5)[17]
Perception - (1d20+15)[21]

HuskyBoi
2013-12-02, 11:56 PM
The first corner turns left, continues for fifteen feet, and then takes a right turn. As the party walks along, no traps immediately spring out of the wall, no monstrous golems or hidden badgers leap out to assault you. For now it is quiet.

It is also dark. With the two turnings, light has disappeared from the outside world. It is now pitch-black, and only darkvision or your own light sources will allow you to see the way.

Ahead of you, the corridor continues for twenty feet before splitting into three. One path continues straight, and two more branch off to the right and the left. Both the right and the left corridors go only a short distance before turning, and the forward corridor ends at a wooden door.

As you enter, Anthony has the presence of mind to glace up. The ceiling just above the crossroads is different from the other stone. It is covered in tiny triangles and squares in different colours that form a strange diamond pattern, in green, brown and tarnished gold. In the centre of the diamond, small black stones appear to spell out some writing...

Kritical Kiwi
2013-12-03, 03:43 AM
Anthony beckoned for the rest of the party to join him, and indicated upwards to the writing. Perhaps a clue to the direction they should choose was written on the ceiling. He did his best to decipher the script himself.

I'm guessing a linguistics check? Let me know if any knowledges would be relevant as well
Linguistics: [roll0]

iTookUrNick
2013-12-03, 02:05 PM
...pretty?

Just incase it's relevant: [roll0]
I'm not even going to try my +2 linguistics check... :smallsmile:

kemarianking
2013-12-03, 05:11 PM
Vincent glances up at the stones, sees his brother start trying to decipher the writing, and moves over to help - Retrieving a quill, ink and a few scraps of parchment from his backpacks, he starts scribbling notes to assist Anthony in his efforts.

Assist other any knowledge or linguistic checks Anthony is making. And/or attempt those same knowledge checks himself.

HuskyBoi
2013-12-04, 02:43 AM
The writing, on close inspection, turns out to be entirely non-magical, and written in common language everyone can understand.

"He who strikes your heel, and who's head you crush, hides the first keystone"

There is no further explanation, but you know precisely where it is from: the writings of Pelor. The snake is the one who's head is crushed, and who strikes your heel.

Beyond that, there is no further explanation.

iTookUrNick
2013-12-04, 04:16 AM
Fair enough. Let's all keep an eye out for snake-like incription and statues. And for actual snakes, I suppose.

Deep gnomes tend to see reptile creatures as natural predators of their race, although Peter had no strong feelings on the matter.

kemarianking
2013-12-04, 06:03 AM
Vincent makes a note of the inscription, then returns his writing gear to his bag. "Ah, snakes... Nasty lil biters, but damn they're useful. Venom's always fun to play with... For science, of course. And the fangs can make a nice accessory to boot." His eyes momentarily go vacant as he slips into memory. "I remember this one Vishkanya girl... Just don't believe that cack about chewin' snake-skin helping with, ah, male performance. Total load of..."
He stops, blinks, and coughs.
"Anyway, back to it."

He looks up again, looking closely at the pattern of stones. He squints, trying to work out if they're of any value.

Appraise - (1d20+11)[16]

Kritical Kiwi
2013-12-04, 02:50 PM
"The fact remains" Anthony clicked his fingers to bring his brothers attention back "we have a fork, as it were. Huh, I wonder how symbolic it is. I vote the door."

Anthony had already begun walking before he finished his thoughts aloud, moving swiftly and silently towards the door, before checking it thoroughly for traps.

Perception: [roll0]
Stealth: [roll1]

iTookUrNick
2013-12-05, 01:58 PM
"The door is as good as any other option" says Peter from a safe distance "If you are set on your choice, go for it!"

doko239
2013-12-06, 03:22 AM
Knicknack skulks along behind the rest of the group, nervously watching for any sign of movement in the darkness.

HuskyBoi
2013-12-06, 03:47 AM
Anthony checks the door thoroughly, and finds it to be unlocked. He eases it gently forwards, and hears a tiny, tell-tale click. A trigger mechanism is hidden in the hinges, designed to spring a trap as the door is pushed open. He has the option to disable it, if he has the skill.

Kritical Kiwi
2013-12-11, 10:33 PM
Anthony glanced over his shoulder "I suggest you all move about 30 feet back" he began to attempt to disarm the trap

Disable device: [roll0]

HuskyBoi
2013-12-12, 04:20 AM
Anthony spends some time working with his tools, delicately meddling with the edge of the door. After a couple of minutes, a satisfying click is heard, and the trap mechanism is jammed in place. On the far side of the door, there is the sound of something wooden clattering pathetically to the floor- the sound of a deadly trap harming absolutely nothing.

The door is free to open.

kemarianking
2013-12-12, 11:26 PM
Vincent grins, slapping his brother on the back. "Nicely done, fiddly-fingers."
Then he notches an arrow and aims his bow at the door, readying himself to fire should something come through it.
"Right... Who wants to do the honours?"

iTookUrNick
2013-12-13, 02:11 AM
Peter's voice is little more than a whisper. "Good job... I'd say we're doing fine so far. Let's contine this way and see what happens".

Kritical Kiwi
2013-12-15, 05:47 AM
Cautiously opening the door, Anthony slipped forwards.

kemarianking
2013-12-20, 02:29 AM
Following his brother's lead, Vincent moves towards the door. Taking cover next to it, bow strung and ready, he peers through the door.

Stealth: (1d20+5)[19]
Perception: (1d20+15)[31]

HuskyBoi
2013-12-20, 04:31 AM
You push the door open, and it swings easily. As you peer around, you see a room surrounded by tall stone statues of lizard-headed warriors. As you push the door to it's full extent, a movement catches your eye- from the open mouths of one of the statues, an arrow flops out harmless, and clatters pathetically to the floor. A trap successfully disarmed, it appears.

Beyond the door is a fifteen-by-fifteen foot room, with a total of eight statues- two per wall. There is another heavy wooden door directly opposite the door you have just entered through. There are two more open passages, barely concealed behind filthy rags hanging from the ceiling- one in the north wall, one in the south. How to proceed?

iTookUrNick
2013-12-20, 05:16 PM
Peter approaches quitely. he takes a look at the room, noting the two lateral openings.
"Is it safe?" he asks, whispering "Perhaps we should check out those other two corridors first? Also: snakes, kinda?"