PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder - Sun Wukong build?

sco0terkid
2013-11-30, 08:07 AM
My friends and I are starting up a new pathfinder story, and I really wanted to play a character that was based on Sun Wukong, the Monkey King.

I know Wukong has a lot of unbelievable powers that, if implemented, would probably break the game, but I just wanted a character that had a few of his abilities (Such as Sun Wukong in Smite). Powers include:

-Size-changing staff (Quarterstaff with the sizing property?)
-Ability to transform into animals (Multiclass into a druid?) *I figured the character would start as a monk*
-Ability to create a clone or two (No idea how to implement this)

If anyone could help me with this, it would be GREATLY appreciated!
Also, how can he built at level 1? I would like him to gradually gain his powers as the story progresses. Should I ask to start him out with a normal quarterstaff with the sizing property? Please let me know!

avr
2013-11-30, 09:03 AM
The staff changing size could just be the shillelagh spell. Which leads on to a Druid with wildshape easily.

What exactly do you want by way of a clone? Would summoned apes do the trick? You'd want disguise other to make them look right; to get that you'll need a PrC to get it on your spell list or an item. Summoned creatures don't last that long of course.

A level or two in monk is workable for a PF Druid.

sco0terkid
2013-11-30, 09:12 AM
For the clones, I wanted them to not be permanent (although last long enough to actually do something). So maybe last a few rounds.
I also wanted them to look like the user.. The problem is I do not know how to implement that without a series of steps (instead of immediately).

A druid would be best for this, you think? I like the shillelagh spell.. I would just have to tell the DM if I can, for aesthetics, kind-of control the size of the quarterstaff.

Would there be any need to multi-class into a monk?

Slipperychicken
2013-11-30, 10:46 AM
You could crib the Anthropomorphic Monkey race from 3.5's Savage Species page 216. It doesn't even have level adjustment. It also gives +4 to Wisdom, which would be great for a Druid.

sco0terkid
2013-11-30, 12:03 PM
Okay, so I was messing with the build, and this is what I have at level 1 (I will hope to gradually accumulate my powers on my adventures!)

Level 1 Human Druid

STR 18 (+2 racial bonus)
DEX 14
CON 14
INT 10
WIS 14
CHA 10

FEATS-
Nature Bond: Animal Domain (Why not get a cute little monkey along the way?)
Lightning Reflexes
Dodge
*I chose these feats because the combat-oriented feats require a BAB of +1, which a druid doesn't have at level 1..so they're basically dump feats.

Spells that should be noted are basically just Shillelagh and Bull's Strength for quarterstaff destruction.

Other than this, I have no idea what else I can do or change. I was thinking of immediately multiclassing into a monk for flurry of blows and eventually get wild shape down the road.

EDIT-
I'm not exactly looking for an over-powered build or "the best" build.. just enough to get the flavor of Sun Wukong.

Saidoro
2013-11-30, 12:28 PM
Just gonna point this out (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/uncommon-races/arg-vanaras).

The Oni
2013-11-30, 01:10 PM
I'd put everything into DEX and WIS, use Weapon Finesse for unarmed strike and forget STR for the most part. This way, you'll evade friggin' everything and you'll be pretty awesome as a Druid. Wukong was more of a trickster than a physical powerhouse anyway unless you're going based on Son Goku.

The three Monkey Style feats are a must, which you can totally get early if your Monk Archetype is Master of Many Styles. (They annoy the hell out of your opponents and also you climb really fast). And you totally should be a Vanara. Because they're literally friggin' monkey people.

Doorhandle
2013-11-30, 06:32 PM
I'd put everything into DEX and WIS, use Weapon Finesse for unarmed strike and forget STR for the most part. This way, you'll evade friggin' everything and you'll be pretty awesome as a Druid. Wukong was more of a trickster than a physical powerhouse anyway unless you're going based on Son Goku.

The three Monkey Style feats are a must, which you can totally get early if your Monk Archetype is Master of Many Styles. (They annoy the hell out of your opponents and also you climb really fast). And you totally should be a Vanara. Because they're literally friggin' monkey people.

I dunno. while he was primarily a trickster, the monkey king was still defiantly a physical powerhouse: His staff weighed a good 13,500 jīn (8,100 kilograms (17,900 lb)), and he once survived getting crushed by 3 mountains at once.

avr
2013-11-30, 09:27 PM
Dodge does suck, if you have a spare feat put it into Extend Spell (for future use) or Nimble Moves (to always be able to 5' step) or something.

One more idea on the clone thing, the Spell Thematics (http://dndtools.eu/feats/players-guide-to-faerun--22/spell-thematics--2714/) feat might be enough to make your summoned apes look like you. 3.x material so ask your DM.

Ravens_cry
2013-11-30, 09:32 PM
I dunno. while he was primarily a trickster, the monkey king was still defiantly a physical powerhouse: His staff weighed a good 13,500 jīn (8,100 kilograms (17,900 lb)), and he once survived getting crushed by 3 mountains at once.
I think we can leave that out safely without sacraficing the spirit of the character. Though it's hardly outside of the realm of possibility for a high level character, you got to sacrifice something so the build is workable for a mortal character.

Doorhandle
2013-12-01, 12:52 AM
Good point. But I think a "primarly focused on face-beating with wild shape" druid would still easily have enough spell-casting to qualify. Particularly as pathfinder polymorphs give bonuses to stats rather than changing them entirely.

The Oni
2013-12-01, 01:08 AM
Yeah, he's way friggin' strong, but he doesn't *use* it that way (because it's no fun!) and on the tier that the Monkey King would be competing, relative to other immortals, he's more float like a butterfly than sting like a bee. So if you wanna convey the idea of "hits hard and hard to hit" in no armor you'll probably need to be a DEX-based fighter. For your feats of ridiculous strength you have Druid powers.

Ravens_cry
2013-12-01, 01:22 AM
With an Agile amulet of mighty fists and a single level of monk, the rest druid and the right Wild shapes, you could make a pretty rocking "Hit hard hard to hit." build.

sco0terkid
2013-12-07, 12:17 PM
So I was thinking a Vanara Monk would be a good start at level 1, and that I would just multiclass into a druid when I hit level 2.

I still want to use a quarterstaff as my main weapon (Maybe as some kind of worship to Sun Wukong or something).