PDA

View Full Version : Fist of stone wand

kpumphre
2013-11-30, 08:07 AM
If I get a fist of stone wand could I then cast it on someone else or is the range still personal? any ideas other than potions for how to get this on the fighter? Any items with this, how much would one be?

This is for the 3.5 Fist of stone spell

avr
2013-11-30, 08:36 AM
If you use a wand of a spell with range personal, it can only target you and/or your familiar. If someone else needs the spell, they need to use the wand themselves.

Personal range spells can't be made into potions.

Short of a custom item or metamagic (the latter is impractical in an item unless you're playing an artificer) I don't think you can make this work.

kpumphre
2013-11-30, 09:18 AM
What would the cost be then to make a custom item

Chronos
2013-11-30, 09:20 AM
You could cross-class ranks in UMD to use the wand, but your chance of success will be terrible.

Urpriest
2013-11-30, 01:19 PM
What would the cost be then to make a custom item

Whatever your DM says it is, based on the guidelines in the DMG and comparison to similar items.

kpumphre
2013-11-30, 01:25 PM
So about how much would that be to buy/ how much would it be to make?

Kelb_Panthera
2013-11-30, 02:02 PM
A command word activated item of fist of stone is worth about 1800gp by the guidelines.

Urpriest
2013-11-30, 02:04 PM
So about how much would that be to buy/ how much would it be to make?

Depends on how it worked. A custom item almost never works exactly like the spell it duplicates, after all.

Flickerdart
2013-11-30, 03:30 PM
The thing about custom items of Fist of Stone is that Fist of Stone is two effects that are already replicated by existing magic items - +6 enhancement bonus to Strength costs 36,000, and extra natural attacks have a variety of costs (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7066595). So if you want to make a continuous or use-activated item, your DM would refer to these and price the item a lot higher than the guidelines suggest for a 1st level spell, due to the disproportionate effects.

Adverb
2013-11-30, 07:31 PM
Turning a range:personal spell into a spell that can be cast on someone else is an expensive trick. Your best option here is probably to figure out who wants the spell, and make sure they put enough ranks in Use Magic Device to be able to use a wand themselves.

Flickerdart
2013-11-30, 07:51 PM
I think the intention here is that you'd want to use the wand on someone else so they can use the bonus to attack. Fist of Stone is a short-duration buff, so you don't want to waste time activating it. Your raven familiar, on the other hand, would be a great way to deliver such a buff without wasting round 1.

kpumphre
2013-11-30, 08:18 PM
I think the intention here is that you'd want to use the wand on someone else so they can use the bonus to attack. Fist of Stone is a short-duration buff, so you don't want to waste time activating it. Your raven familiar, on the other hand, would be a great way to deliver such a buff without wasting round 1.

Raven Familiar? I got a blink dog to charge and deliver my spells while I stay invisible. Then he blinks back to my general area

avr
2013-11-30, 09:15 PM
As a first approximation I'd call personal to touch as being similar to reach spell's touch to close change. So +2 spell levels (i.e. 3) and the associated minimum CL5, on a command word activated item that would be 27K.

If the fighter were to use it himself (with range personal) I'd put that at about +1 spell level for affecting someone other than the non-melee types the spell is otherwise limited to, total 10.8K.

Halve either of these if it has 50 charges like a wand, or if it has less than 5 uses/day reduce the cost accordingly (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm).

If the item were to be continuous I'd try to work out the price for the effect directly. 36K for the +6 strength, something more for the natural attack.

Some sort of research to design the item seems reasonable too.

Almost all of this is IMO and your DM may have their own ideas.