PDA

View Full Version : Critical fishing warblade

ReluctantDragon
2013-11-30, 11:14 AM
An upcoming gestalt game is giving me fits in terms of options. I've gone through ten I'm different character builds and haven't found anything that has sparked that warm fuzzy feeling. I read Elfin's warblade guide and I'm wondering if that might have my answer. Can someone give me advice on a Warblade critical fishing build that works?
40 point buy.
All WOTC material available.
Starting at level 1.
Thanks in advance!

GilesTheCleric
2013-11-30, 12:25 PM
Disciple of Dispater with Kaorti Resin is the typical go-to for crit fishing. If you're going for pure damage output, there's better approaches, but critting is always fun.

ReluctantDragon
2013-11-30, 01:00 PM
Sorry. Have to stick with good alignment.

Irk
2013-11-30, 02:11 PM
Unfortunately, disciple if dispater doesn't even work with kaorti resin, you need iron weapons. Since you have to stick with good alignment, this limits you quite a bit.
Here's the thing about crit-fishing: if something doesn't explicitly say it stacks, it DOES NOT. this is dues to this line in the keen edge spell:

Multiple effects that increase a weapon’s threat range (such as the keen edge spell and the Improved Critical feat) don’t stack.
Therefore, we must find effects that stack. Clearly, your limited by alignment, but you ARE gestalt, which is extremely advantageous.

from warblade, all you really need is this:
-weapon aptitude
-blood in the water stance
-battle ardor(critical confirmation)

Next, feats
-TWF
-Improved critical (this is a staple obviously)
-lightning maces (works w/ scimitars or kukris thanks to aptitude)
-roundabout kick (same as above)
-power critical for scimitar or kukri (probably at least twice)

classes
-warblade (obviously) as much as you want
-OA weapon master 7
-psychic weapons master 7 (same as above, but the abilities'll stack)

gear
-laminated steel for increased critical multiplier (serrated doesn't stack with ---abyssal bloodiron (+4 critical confirmation)
-if you decide on kukris, get the tiger fang from ToB, it's worth it for a critisher
-alternatively, grab the manyfang dagger to massively increase criticals
-chatchka is ranged and could suffice as well

A quick note on kaorti resin: it is often assumed you can make any weapon out of kaorti, but that is never actually provided for in th rules, so there is no actual price. Thus, kaorti is useless, unless you find the exact weight of a dagger blade, convert that into gp/pound then apply that to another weapon blade.

Anyway, this'll give you
18-20/x3 base (w/ laminated)
15-20/x3 improved crit
11-20/x3 with the weapon masters

this is really not that great. If you had DoD it would be like this
18-20/x3 base
15-20/x3 improved critical
11-20/x3 weapon masters
then DoD kicks in and you can triple the 11-20 threat range.
this gives you 1-20/x3
only possible in gestalt or epic though, as it requires 22 levels of weapon master and DoD