PDA

View Full Version : Starbound: 422.22 Quadrillion planets of fun

NEO|Phyte
2013-11-30, 12:12 PM
http://i.imgur.com/X2W1pJF.png (http://playstarbound.com/)
:edit: oh right big images stretch the page here, I'm used to other forums where it autoscales large images.

Starbound. As far as I can tell from telling Google to poke around the forums, this game hasn't really been discussed much. Now that beta is finally actually coming, I figure now is as good a time as any to start.

What is Starbound?
A common descriptor for games anymore is "like X, but". Following that template, Starbound is like Terraria, but loads bigger. How much bigger? That number in the thread title isn't made up, it is an actual number provided by one of the devs when asked how many planets there would be (http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/a-little-perspective-on-the-size-of-starbound.27178/#post-1063769). Of course, simply being bigger doesn't mean anything. Luckily, Starbound is also like Terraria, but with loads more stuff. Six different races to play as (with a 7th planned for full release), each with their own set of racial gear, their own ship (http://i.imgur.com/SPzdgzl.jpg), and tailored dialogue when examining an item. I've not been following the game close enough to be sure about most of the things, but at the very least monsters and guns have procedural generation going on in addition to the prebuilt stuff. There are plans for 10 tiers of gear, with a vaguely defined X tier for endgame/PvP. I'm not sure exactly how they're defining a tier worth of content, but I personally put Terraria as having 3-4 tiers (base ores, fancy ores, hardmode ores, hardmode+ ores), depending on if you define the 1.2 hardmode gear as a tier up from base hardmode. Beyond the spectra of weapons/armor, each tier is also adding some new gameplay element. Finally, Starbound is like Terraria, but with more features. Traveling the universe in your spaceship, Dual wielding, playing music (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdfawUC-NRo), physics-based grappling hooks (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeJcbKuaD3k), Codex/lore discovery, monster taming, mechs, quests, and probably other stuff but those are the things I can remember for sure.

What do you do in Starbound?
Assuming nothing has changed from what I know, the game starts with you forced from your home, in orbit around a planet, your ship having run out of fuel. Much like other sandbox games, initially you are railroaded into establishing some sort of basic structures so that the world around you can't easily rip you a new one, but once that's done, you can start doing what you want to do. Tired of feeling lonely? Find a village on some world, make friends, and have your friends move in with you. Want to catch 'em all and become a Pokemon master? Good luck, since monsters are procedurally generated, but monster taming is a thing, go have fun. Find something neat on a planet and want to show it to your friends? Give them the planet's coordinates. Coordinates function like a Minecraft seed, if you put in the same value, you get the same world. Want to tromp around the worlds with your friends? Multiplayer exists. Don't want your friends to bring in their overgeared/hacked/invedited characters? It won't be in at the start of the beta, but there are plans for servers to have the option of forcing serverside character saves.

Obviously, not everything is going to be there at the start of the beta, but unless plans change, they'll be there for the full release.

I should probably add more detailed information, but I've never been good at these massive informative OPs.

Fargazer
2013-11-30, 12:59 PM
I've been glancing at this occasionally mostly because I heard one of the Terraria creators was behind it. From what I've seen, it really is just Terraria with "more," though from the look of those grappling hook physics, it will certainly be different enough that it looks to be really enjoyable.

As an aside, I think that technically Terraria does have 10 tiers of gear, judging by there being 10 colors of quality. Hopefully this is slightly more diverse than that.

NEO|Phyte
2013-11-30, 01:30 PM
As an aside, I think that technically Terraria does have 10 tiers of gear, judging by there being 10 colors of quality. Hopefully this is slightly more diverse than that.

I'm reasonably sure the gear color isn't the best way to measure when a tier shift happens, considering that reforging can put weapons +/- 2 colors from the base item.

Going into detail on my view on Terraria's tiers:

Early/mundane tier: Wood, standard ores. Nothing fancy going on here, armor is purely defensive boosts.
Mid tier: You've killed some bosses, you've gotten some demonite/crimtane ore. Instead of just having a broadsword, you've got magical sounding stuff like Light's Bane. Additionally, armor starts giving bonuses besides defense boost.
Hardmode tier: I don't think it really needs to be explained why this is a tier point.
Chlorophyte tier: The main reason I'm putting this in its own tier is that it is blatantly gated by needing to hit the top of the hardmode tier (for a drax/hallowed pickaxe) to be able to mine chlorophyte.

It basically comes down to if you want a few meaty tiers, or a bunch of skin and bones tiers, and I'm not sure which approach Starbound is taking.

Fargazer
2013-11-30, 02:16 PM
I'm reasonably sure the gear color isn't the best way to measure when a tier shift happens, considering that reforging can put weapons +/- 2 colors from the base item.

Well, I did say technically. :smallwink: I guess the main reason I think of them as such is because they're listed that way on one of the Terraria wikis.

I mostly agree with your assessment of the tiers, though I think I would add one after demonite and before hardmode, because you have options as far as branching out into jungle, necro, or hellstone.

Either way, since Starbound seems to be sticking pretty close to what Terraria set up, I do hope that they're talking about ten full tiers and not slight upgrades with one random ability. This game does look like it will have a wide variety of features, so my only fear is that it will strive for so much width that it doesn't have much depth.

Hiro Protagonest
2013-12-03, 05:50 PM
TB and Jesse have gotten slightly early access! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5b2ybvOPHE)

factotum
2013-12-04, 03:30 AM
TB and Jesse have gotten slightly early access! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5b2ybvOPHE)

And their game crashed after around half an hour, which is the slight problem when playing a beta, I suppose... :smallwink:

NEO|Phyte
2013-12-04, 07:28 AM
A few hours to go until beta keys start going out, and looks like we've got a trailer to go with it (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyMJE9ZHIqQ).

LordShotGun
2013-12-04, 04:29 PM
Just downloaded it and so far my initial impressions are....

IT'S TERRARIA IN SPAAAAAAAACCCCCEEEEEE

Ahem....Anyway, yeah so far I am nearing the end of the tutorial and metal is damn hard to find. Combat is floaty in a way that in inferior to Terraria.

All in all...this is certainly a beta level game.

Edit: I tried fighting the first boss WAYYY before I should have and lost horribly. After that I think I am done with the game for a bit. If only because the boss summon item requires a TON of metal, which is hard to find mind you, and it got consumed when it summoned the boss.

Hiro Protagonest
2013-12-04, 04:50 PM
The site is still saying pre-order. If I pre-order, will they send me the e-mail with the game?

LordShotGun
2013-12-04, 05:12 PM
The site is still saying pre-order. If I pre-order, will they send me the e-mail with the game?

You get an email from the humble bundle website and from there you can redeem your code via steam.

Edit: Update. Metal of all kinds is WAY to hard to find, and after losing my first distress beacon I decided to just give up for the night.

NEO|Phyte
2013-12-05, 07:36 AM
Yeah, the distress beacon fight is currently all kinds of BS. I'm pretty sure that boss is intended for a later tier, when you'd actually have ranged weapons and maybe some armor strong enough you don't get 2shot by half the things.

Hunter Noventa
2013-12-05, 09:03 AM
Yeah, the distress beacon fight is currently all kinds of BS. I'm pretty sure that boss is intended for a later tier, when you'd actually have ranged weapons and maybe some armor strong enough you don't get 2shot by half the things.

Yes that's exactly what the boss is for. It can be beaten, it's just hard.

Hopefully they'll look into the distribution of materials, took me ages just to find enough Iron for an Anvil. And the fact that everything but the basics takes Pixels (money, basically) in addition to materials is kind of a kick in the pants.

Still a super fun game, even for beta. I found a tiny castle with a Glitch King in it, killed him and took his crown.

Chen
2013-12-05, 10:39 AM
I had been watching this a while back, but kind of lost track of it. So is it in open beta now? Or is this only for people who pre-ordered? I loved Terraria so I really hope this is as good.

AmberVael
2013-12-05, 11:27 AM
I had been watching this a while back, but kind of lost track of it. So is it in open beta now? Or is this only for people who pre-ordered? I loved Terraria so I really hope this is as good.

Anyone can buy it to get early access now, from what I can see.

My question to people who have it already is this- is there enough content to make it worth the purchase? Or would it be better to wait until it is developed more?

Maxios
2013-12-05, 11:46 AM
Anyone can buy it to get early access now, from what I can see.

My question to people who have it already is this- is there enough content to make it worth the purchase? Or would it be better to wait until it is developed more?

In its current state, it's pretty good. My only problems with it so far are the haywire monster spawning (which is to say, hostile mobs spawning in massive hordes behind me), and the rarity of metal. I think it's definitely worth the purchase.

Hiro Protagonest
2013-12-05, 11:54 AM
Currently, I'm finding a ton of copper just from going around the surface. Still only have 1 iron ore though, so I can't make an anvil.

The material manipulator lets you see anywhere on the screen in a small area, so you can scan for materials underground in a limited range.

I like the increased emphasis on combat and survival. I haven't died yet, but I got to a point where my health was so low I had no red left, and then I made the bed because I figured that it should at least set spawn. Turns out that resting is the only way to regain health early-game. And then level 4 monsters started spawning... I skirmished one that has a mid-range firebreath attack, and it took me from full health to one bar.

LordShotGun
2013-12-05, 12:41 PM
Currently, I'm finding a ton of copper just from going around the surface. Still only have 1 iron ore though, so I can't make an anvil.

The material manipulator lets you see anywhere on the screen in a small area, so you can scan for materials underground in a limited range.

I like the increased emphasis on combat and survival. I haven't died yet, but I got to a point where my health was so low I had no red left, and then I made the bed because I figured that it should at least set spawn. Turns out that resting is the only way to regain health early-game. And then level 4 monsters started spawning... I skirmished one that has a mid-range firebreath attack, and it took me from full health to one bar.

Get plant fiber. Make a cloth spinner (or whatever it is called, its in the crafting table), make cloth. Make bandages. The heal you for 3-4 bars.

Anyway, in starbound land, after deciding to forget mining for 20 hours to get enough iron for a beacon, I just cheated my ass off using cheat engine and gave myself 1000 bars of iron, copper and silver.

After maxing out my aviliable armor and weapons, I managed to EVENTUALLY kill the first boss. The balance really is broken at this point. The UFO flys obviously, but the only ranged weapon you have is a stupid iron bow which does something like 3-7 damage to the boss. And the boss has something like a thousand health.

Fortunately max tier armor (that is available) reduces most of the damage from the UFO to 10 or less and spamming bandages can keep you ahead of death.

Also, prepare your battle field before fighting that boss. Digging some moderately deep holes around the edges of a flat area and then leading the UFO spawns into them will make them unable to hit you. Then build some small platforms made of dirt above your head but below the UFO will allow you to hide when it starts firing off beams at you.

After that boss I was able to go to the tier two planets (beta I think) and here is where balance kinda breaks down. I say this because I have yet to find a beta planet that the enemies don't either kill you in one hit or you kill THEM in one hit.

Take that as what you will but so far I am unimpressed by starbound. Yeah I realize this is a super beta but I've been playing terraria since the pre-beta (I knew someone who got a key) and even in pre-beta I enjoyed it more.

If I had to pick a reason I like terraria over starbound I would have to say ENVIROMENT. In terraria you got one map that you are stuck on (you can changed worlds but I digress) and that one world will have everything you could need or want.

Starbound on the other hand...I have beamed down to planets and walked all the way around them (yeah you can do that) and saw nothing interesting. Combat is boring and you can exploit terrain horribly , mining is too grinding, the stuff you can craft is boring (we are in space why am I making a stone ax and iron helmets?).

Where are the lasers? Where are the jetpacks? Where are the mechs, interesting wildlife, weird plant life (although the eyeball trees were kinda cool), and impossible geological formations?

Perhaps I am just disappointed in the beta, I am sure these things and more will be added, but right now I would rather just install another mod to terraria and play that.

Lighturtle
2013-12-05, 01:51 PM
Chlorophyte tier: The main reason I'm putting this in its own tier is that it is blatantly gated by needing to hit the top of the hardmode tier (for a drax/hallowed pickaxe) to be able to mine chlorophyte

Bombs are really cheap.

NEO|Phyte
2013-12-05, 02:14 PM
Bombs are really cheap.

And chlorophyte is bombproof. Or at least the wiki claims such.

Anyway, regarding combat, the biggest issue here seems to be that the numbers behind it really need some tweaking.

You have damage level, and defense level. For monsters, this number is equal to their listed level. Your weapon's armor penetration is your damage level, and your defense value is based on the three bits of armor you've got on.

Having a damage level advantage over the other guy's defense level results in absurd damage output, which is where the rocket tag effect comes in. I'm running around with my level 15 racial onehanded sword, and I can oneshot beasties on a threat level 11 world, but because I'm still in silver armor because gold is rare as all hell, beasties can 2shot me if I don't have my shield handy. Also shields seem to have stats behind them as well in terms of how much damage they can block, but you don't get to see the stats currently.

AmberVael
2013-12-05, 02:19 PM
Bombs are really cheap.

And chlorophyte is bombproof. Or at least the wiki claims such.
Explosives used to work, but they patched this early on. You need a proper mining tool.

More on topic, I appreciate the various critiques here. For now I think I'm going to wait and see if they iron out a few more issues. I've been watching a few series (TotalBiscuit/Jesse and the Yogscast) and they seem to be running into stuff as well, and all together it adds up to more than I think I want to deal with.

LordShotGun
2013-12-05, 03:10 PM
Anyway, regarding combat, the biggest issue here seems to be that the numbers behind it really need some tweaking.

You have damage level, and defense level. For monsters, this number is equal to their listed level. Your weapon's armor penetration is your damage level, and your defense value is based on the three bits of armor you've got on.

Having a damage level advantage over the other guy's defense level results in absurd damage output, which is where the rocket tag effect comes in. I'm running around with my level 15 racial onehanded sword, and I can oneshot beasties on a threat level 11 world, but because I'm still in silver armor because gold is rare as all hell, beasties can 2shot me if I don't have my shield handy. Also shields seem to have stats behind them as well in terms of how much damage they can block, but you don't get to see the stats currently.

Pretty much what I found to be the case. Rocket tag is exactly how I found most planets.

Also...how did you get a shield? I don't remember seeing anything like that on the anvil.

Edit: DO NOT CREATE AN INACTIVE ROBOT AND THEN ACTIVATE IT!!! IT IS THE TIER TWO BOSS AND WILL INSTANTLY KILL YOU!!

NEO|Phyte
2013-12-05, 05:46 PM
Found both the shields I have in chests.

The Shadowmind
2013-12-06, 10:34 AM
They made a few changes last night:
http://playstarbound.com/coming-in-tonights-update/

And today they said they are working on combat issues:
http://www.reddit.com/r/starbound/comments/1s8g2n/beta_balance_discussion_finding_the_fun_in_combat/#

Today saw someone get to the asteroids, which are very cold, but rich in resources. If you have a way to get that high up.

AmberVael
2013-12-07, 01:25 AM
So, despite my uncertainty I went ahead and got the game. I went in for a four pack with some other people to lower the cost. At first I was not very impressed. It was slow, the combat weird, and it seemed very samey.

Then I got my hands on some overpowered equipment and started exploring everything, and my opinion swiftly changed.

The bad combat and slow grindy start are just a barrier to get into the real game- the sheer amount of content and exploration and variety that I found in a few hours was amazing. I found a dystopian moonbase, a desert temple, a medieval market, and an incredibly creepy science lab buried under an ice world and encased in steel. I got threatened by apes, bought clothing from robots, and fought off cultists and bandits.

If they can tweak things right, this game is going to be far, far more than "Terraria in space."

factotum
2013-12-07, 05:17 AM
I haven't played it myself (I tend not to play betas since I got so burned out from playing the Minecraft alphas that I've barely played it since the actual release), but from the sounds of it they really need to fix the boring, grindy start...having a game that takes hours before you start having fun is great if you want a small niche market, but for a wider audience you need it to work from the get-go.

NEO|Phyte
2013-12-07, 10:11 AM
On the combat system front: The devs are taking the weekend to overhaul the numbers behind combat. Specifically, they are abolishing the armor penetration stat, condensing planet levels from 1-100 to 1-10, and shoving around what's left so it flows better.
:edit: oh, and this is likely to break saves, so don't get too attached to your dudes.

Hiro Protagonest
2013-12-07, 08:32 PM
Hm. It appears all the iron weapons got their pixel costs reduced from 300 to 30. Also, copper armor no longer has a pixel cost. You can also now craft shields (you can tell it's new because the basic shield says "this item needs to have a description set" :smalltongue:).

Having just equipped the basic shield and regular shortsword... yeah, armor-piercing 5 is a huge difference from 1. I can take out two-thirds of the health of level 4 monsters, while I only took out like a quarter with the two-handed riot sword. I think I could one-shot them with a two-handed weapon that has this armor piercing.

Edit: ...And I just traveled to my second planet, a desert-climate moon inhabited by plant people. And there are merchants! Unfortunately, all they've got is food, but I like this game more already.

Edit 2: And I just got destroyed by some level 6 monsters. The difference between these and their level 4 versions on the same planet are astronomical, all based on a point or two of armor.

Edit 3: And apparently, sand moves way more than it did in Terraria. I just created a big chasm in the surface by merely trying to dig a tunnel through sand. Luckily, there was some coal ore there, so I caught that as it streamed down, and it opened up the path to the surface I needed.

Edit 4: Okay, so I went to a forest planet... there are eye trees and plants here. There's also an abandoned high-tech facility with a sign that says ":) thought reassignment :)". :smalleek: Also, I found a... miniboss? I dunno, but it was really tanky for a level 2 monster, looked unique, and dropped a unique weapon called the Choppy Earthwhacker (class: bonehammer), which does 43 damage at 1 armor penetration and also shoots these bones in a forward AoE with every swing. Best ranged weapon yet, but it can't shoot up so it's useless against the UFO.

Edit 5: And... I reached some sort of temple? Where a guy one-shot me with an energy gun saying "Filthy grounded scum! Today you die!". Cool! Way too strong for threat level 2! But cool!

Okay, I went to the temple again, shield raised. I can block all the shots with no damage. But there are two of them, at least. And they killed me.

Talderas
2013-12-09, 09:13 AM
Having just equipped the basic shield and regular shortsword... yeah, armor-piercing 5 is a huge difference from 1. I can take out two-thirds of the health of level 4 monsters, while I only took out like a quarter with the two-handed riot sword. I think I could one-shot them with a two-handed weapon that has this armor piercing.

One handed weapons tend to be forward attacks while two-handed are an overhead swing. I prefer the two-handed weapons if they're a worthwhile speed because it helps protect you from jumping enemies. If you're using one-handed then you have to anticipate the enemy jumping and back up/move forward in response to avoid him landing on you.

Edit 3: And apparently, sand moves way more than it did in Terraria. I just created a big chasm in the surface by merely trying to dig a tunnel through sand. Luckily, there was some coal ore there, so I caught that as it streamed down, and it opened up the path to the surface I needed.

Spawned sand and gravel are hilarious. They defy gravity until any of the blocks in the eight squares surround it are altered. So digging sand from the top rarely causes it to collapse but the side or bottom always does.

Hiro Protagonest
2013-12-09, 12:24 PM
Well, I got guns. After remembering that I could, y'know, place dirt blocks to get up the anchor and chain going up off screen I got to a sky pirate ship and bought a pistol and sniper rifle. Not particularly powerful, but the sniper rifle was really handy against the UFO.

I also found a Glitch Castle. I set that as my home planet, but sadly, there's no way to actually spawn in the castle.

I also found a planet with a glitch whose house has anvil signs on it, unfortunately, since he was carrying a sword and shield I just assumed that he was able to hold himself in combat and so hid from an aggressive monster to see if he could kill it. He got killed in one, maybe two hits.

Next up: Underground! Haven't dug deep because the stupid teleporter doesn't work there.

Talderas
2013-12-09, 01:07 PM
Next up: Underground! Haven't dug deep because the stupid teleporter doesn't work there.

I dug deep.... down to magma, then I kept digging further down. Like Terraria placing dirt blocks over magma destroys the magma. I won't stop until I reach the bottom.

Hunter Noventa
2013-12-09, 01:47 PM
I also found a Glitch Castle. I set that as my home planet, but sadly, there's no way to actually spawn in the castle.

I think they're going to make a way to change where you spawn, likely some kind of teleport beacon.

Knaight
2013-12-09, 02:25 PM

It's easy enough with an iron bow. Basically, you make an obsidian corridor, put arrow slits in the top, and between the arrow slits put little obsidian pyramids. You then fire up through them repeatedly while the penguins do jack all above you, and loot them after friendly fire.

Hiro Protagonest
2013-12-09, 04:08 PM
I dug deep.... down to magma, then I kept digging further down. Like Terraria placing dirt blocks over magma destroys the magma. I won't stop until I reach the bottom.

Well, to progress my crafted gear, I need gold (and also more silver), and that means I have to go underground.

I hope that you actually can reach the other side of the planet.

Hunter Noventa
2013-12-09, 06:51 PM
It's easy enough with an iron bow. Basically, you make an obsidian corridor, put arrow slits in the top, and between the arrow slits put little obsidian pyramids. You then fire up through them repeatedly while the penguins do jack all above you, and loot them after friendly fire.

Supposedly the UFO is going to be upgraded to destroy blocks, so that may not be such a good idea in the future.

Of course, they're revamping combat too, so who knows.

Knaight
2013-12-09, 09:04 PM
Supposedly the UFO is going to be upgraded to destroy blocks, so that may not be such a good idea in the future.

Of course, they're revamping combat too, so who knows.

It can destroy blocks. There's a reason the corridor is obsidian, with fortification pyramids at the top as opposed to dirt or something.

tigerusthegreat
2013-12-10, 11:15 AM
I see a lot of my steam friends playing this, and I just don't get it. I have terrarria, and I've never had much fun with that game either. The most interesting bit about the whole thing is the procedurally generated worlds, but the gameplay itself has never drawn me in (call me weird for being more interested in the underlying system than the game itself).

factotum
2013-12-10, 12:23 PM
The most interesting bit about the whole thing is the procedurally generated worlds, but the gameplay itself has never drawn me in (call me weird for being more interested in the underlying system than the game itself).

What is a game like Terraria or Starbound if it's not the actual gameplay? You hardly play them for the storyline or the awesome graphics! :smallwink:

Hiro Protagonest
2013-12-10, 06:13 PM
Noooo save wipe!

Well, whatever. It's all about exploring anyway.

Edit: And apparently... they took out mouse-guided facing?

Edit 2: Wait, nope, that's only when you've got nothing in your hand.

Ogremindes
2013-12-12, 01:11 AM
I've been playing this a lot. Today's patch seems to have gone a long way to balancing the game.

Knaight
2013-12-12, 05:09 AM
I've been playing this a lot. Today's patch seems to have gone a long way to balancing the game.

Is this the patch that took out armor piercing? If so, it's a shame.

Ogremindes
2013-12-12, 05:11 AM
Is this the patch that took out armor piercing? If so, it's a shame.

Nah, that was 2 or 3 patches back now.

Nepenthe
2013-12-12, 01:57 PM
Has anyone here tried playing on a netbook? My friends are begging me to play, but my primary computer has an AMD C-60 1.0 GHz (onboard Radeon graphics) and 2 GB RAM. I'm not super optimistic. Also, my secondary computer is running Ubuntu, so if I want to play on both will I need to buy Windows and Linux versions? Never used steam before...

Hunter Noventa
2013-12-12, 02:16 PM
Has anyone here tried playing on a netbook? My friends are begging me to play, but my primary computer has an AMD C-60 1.0 GHz (onboard Radeon graphics) and 2 GB RAM. I'm not super optimistic. Also, my secondary computer is running Ubuntu, so if I want to play on both will I need to buy Windows and Linux versions? Never used steam before...

You'll need steam to play the beta, since that's just the easiest way for them to push out patches at a rapid pace.

But if you do sign up for steam, you can download the game onto as many computers or partitions as you like, and you should only have to buy the game once for it to be available on all platforms.

The only caveat to steam is that you can only be logged into your account in one place at a time, but it shouldn't be a problem to be able to play on both computers. Just not at the exact same time.

As for whether or not you can actually run it,t hat's hard to say. They're still doing a lot of optimization work, so you might want to wait for a later stage of the beta when they've come closer to nailing down system requirements.

factotum
2013-12-12, 05:09 PM
To answer your other question: there's a Steam client for Linux, and as long as the game has a Linux version, you should be able to install it under that OS no problem.

Cikomyr
2013-12-12, 11:17 PM
Someone knows where I can find Ice Crystal? I wanna try to make the geometric stuff..

Anyway. Currently playing as a Glitch; pretty fun. I love their backstory...

....I may have accidently rampaged across a neighbouring Glitch castle by coming too close and killing their 20+ guards. TWAS AN ACCIDENT, I SWEAR!!

So.. I decided to build myself a Glitch-like castle, so visitors can think I am a normal glitch. But then I have my own special lab built out of high-tech material hidden behind a double-door in my basement.

I'm Batman :smallbiggrin:

Woodzyowl
2013-12-13, 12:33 AM

At the moment, it's taking up 1.4 GB of RAM. Admittedly, I've been playing for several hours, but still.

banthesun
2013-12-13, 03:25 AM

I'm running it on a 3+ year old laptop with 2gb graphics and ATI Radeon graphics, and it lags a bit and takes a bit of time to load (my computer is pretty stuffed though). The files also seem to have a Linux version, but I haven't tested it.

Currently it's pretty deep beta, so I can't really recomend it yet, but it should be incredible once it's done. Probably is better with friends though.

NEO|Phyte
2013-12-13, 09:01 AM
So.. I decided to build myself a Glitch-like castle, so visitors can think I am a normal glitch. But then I have my own special lab built out of high-tech material hidden behind a double-door in my basement.

I'm Batman :smallbiggrin:

Double doors? That isn't hidden at all. Find yourself a castle that has a secret door in it, and use that.

Hunter Noventa
2013-12-13, 09:10 AM
For those who are interested, the official modding site has opened up here. (http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/)

Being that this is the internet, and official forums are full of strange and horrible people (seriously, the official forums for Starbound are a sad and disturbing place), we've already got everything from craftable instruments to more hairstyles to Catgirls and Ponys.

Cikomyr
2013-12-13, 09:12 AM
Double doors? That isn't hidden at all. Find yourself a castle that has a secret door in it, and use that.

There are secret doors? Damn it, I need to find another castle and go all Space Invaders on their ass, for their secret door..

Anyway. Yhea, double door. My decoy basement also doubles as my workshop; it's made of wood and has traditional glitch lighting. There's only one door (metal), and I imagine it's locked.

Then, behind the metal door, is a high-tech door meant to halt any intruders. It leads to my lab, which is built with a layer of outsider steel, covered in Light Metal. I have a storage area with very nice decorating blue, red and green flasks, and a USCM hand-reading device to access it (I know these don't work on Glitch :smalltongue:)

The other room of my lab is just a Cool Desk, on top of which is a Cool Computer.

edit: Someone knows were I can find an Ice Crystal?

Hunter Noventa
2013-12-13, 11:14 AM
There are secret doors? Damn it, I need to find another castle and go all Space Invaders on their ass, for their secret door..

Yeah, i found one in a tiny castle that had just a glitch king in it. A section of the floor will light up when you move your mouse over it, and you an interact with it to open it up. I found a treasure chest in the pit underneath.

Cikomyr
2013-12-13, 11:34 AM
Yeah, i found one in a tiny castle that had just a glitch king in it. A section of the floor will light up when you move your mouse over it, and you an interact with it to open it up. I found a treasure chest in the pit underneath.

Wait a minute. I have to go see if the Glitch I brutally murdered for their brains hid something from me.

The bastards.

Wookieetank
2013-12-13, 12:04 PM
Wait a minute. I have to go see if the Glitch I brutally murdered for their brains hid something from me.

The bastards.

The nerve of some beings. :smallwink:

Cikomyr
2013-12-13, 04:51 PM
Someone knows if there's a way to speed up the processing process?

I have 600 copper ore to refine into pixels, it's taking forever.

Ogremindes
2013-12-13, 05:05 PM
Someone knows if there's a way to speed up the processing process?

I have 600 copper ore to refine into pixels, it's taking forever.

Make more refineries and split the ore between them?

Cikomyr
2013-12-13, 05:19 PM
Make more refineries and split the ore between them?

What?! Are you crazy?! I'm a capitalist! I want production to go faster without me paying a cent!

Mattarias, King.
2013-12-21, 07:52 PM
:smallbiggrin: This game is great! Is there any way to make Avian tech? I LOVE those sweet red crystals they use in everything!

The reason I ask is because I found an Avian village, but I don't wanna take anything, because the guards might aggro, and then I might hafta kill everyone. :(

Cikomyr
2013-12-21, 07:57 PM
:smallbiggrin: This game is great! Is there any way to make Avian tech? I LOVE those sweet red crystals they use in everything!

The reason I ask is because I found an Avian village, but I don't wanna take anything, because the guards might aggro, and then I might hafta kill everyone. :(

.... and?

I don't know. Seems to me you miss a big part of your argumentation. What's supposed to be bad about killing all avians?

The jerks are always aggressive to me anyway... :smallfrown:

Mattarias, King.
2013-12-21, 08:32 PM
┐( ̄ヮ ̄)┌ Call me weird, but I find slaughtering an entire village of non-hostiles just for my own benefit to be mildly distasteful.

Also, they might always be angry at you because you might approach them with weapons drawn.

Talderas
2013-12-23, 09:54 AM
.... and?

I don't know. Seems to me you miss a big part of your argumentation. What's supposed to be bad about killing all avians?

The jerks are always aggressive to me anyway... :smallfrown:

The only race that might be bigger jerks than avians is the floran and I think that's only because they were prematurely raised into spacefaring because the avians crashlanded on their planet so the florans really don't understand meat based lifeforms.

Wookieetank
2013-12-23, 10:34 AM
The only race that might be bigger jerks than avians is the floran and I think that's only because they were prematurely raised into spacefaring because the avians crashlanded on their planet so the florans really don't understand meat based lifeforms.

Meat based lifeforms are food, whats so hard to understand about that? :smallwink: (might be playing an omnicidal floran... :smallbiggrin:)

Woodzyowl
2013-12-24, 04:36 AM

What's so bad about avians, eh?

In other news, the post-game content is extremely satisfying.

Mattarias, King.
2013-12-26, 05:42 PM
:smalleek: POST-GAME?! Geez, I'm never gonna finish this, am I?! o_o

Woodzyowl
2013-12-27, 03:57 AM
To elaborate, postgame content is about as satisfying as a bucket of salt in a desert glass of fine wine after a long day's work. My keyboard seems to have run out of blue ink.