PDA

View Full Version : Empower Spell

Harbinger
2013-11-30, 01:44 PM
I'm a bit confused as to some things regarding this metamagic feat. I know that it multiplies numeric effects by one and a half, meaning if I cast empowered stoneskin I'd DR 15 instead of DR 10.

So, if I cast energy drain, (normally 2d4) would it be 3d4, or 3d6?

Zombulian
2013-11-30, 01:46 PM
You multiply the results not the roll.
So you still roll 2d4. But when you roll a 3 on that 2d4, it is actually a 4.5

hymer
2013-11-30, 01:49 PM
Stoneskin's DR is not variable, and as such is not affected by Empower Spell.

The Insaniac
2013-11-30, 01:50 PM
Actually, you wouldn't get DR 15. Empower spell only affects the variable numeric effects, that is, the results of any dice that are rolled. As for the energy drain question, you'd either do 3d4 negative levels or you'd roll 2d4 and multiply the result by 1.5, I've seen it interpreted both ways.

Big Fau
2013-11-30, 01:51 PM
I'm a bit confused as to some things regarding this metamagic feat. I know that it multiplies numeric effects by one and a half, meaning if I cast empowered stoneskin I'd DR 15 instead of DR 10.

So, if I cast energy drain, (normally 2d4) would it be 3d4, or 3d6?

Stoneskin doesn't have a variable numeric effect, it just has a numeric effect. Empower refers to dice as those are variable. Energy Drain would deal 3d4 [average 7.5] or 2d4+50% [average 7.5] depending on DM ruling; both effectively have the same results, but one is more chance-based than the other.

Zombulian
2013-11-30, 01:52 PM
Actually, you wouldn't get DR 15. Empower spell only affects the variable numeric effects, that is, the results of any dice that are rolled. As for the energy drain question, you'd either do 3d4 negative levels or you'd roll 2d4 and multiply the result by 1.5, I've seen it interpreted both ways.

Actually it's not really up to interpretation,

For example, an empowered magic missile deals 1-1/2 times its normal damage (roll 1d4+1 and multiply the result by 1-1/2 for each missile).
The example is pretty specific.

Anxe
2013-11-30, 02:12 PM
I've always wondered how it works for Summon spells by RAW. My interpretation was that it affected the number of creatures summoned if a caster used a Summon 3 to get Summon 1 creatures. But it could be interpreted to affect HP and damage of the monsters as well. We got RAW on that too?

Urpriest
2013-11-30, 02:35 PM
I've always wondered how it works for Summon spells by RAW. My interpretation was that it affected the number of creatures summoned if a caster used a Summon 3 to get Summon 1 creatures. But it could be interpreted to affect HP and damage of the monsters as well. We got RAW on that too?

The hp and damage of the monsters just flat-out aren't effects of the spell, so there's no interpretation that makes them affected by Empower. They aren't even in the spell description.

Harbinger
2013-11-30, 04:37 PM
Oh. Darn. I guess that makes sense. Is there any way to increase the effects of spells like stoneskin or mage armor? Other than abjurant champion, because that doesn't work with mage armor by RAW.

Zombulian
2013-11-30, 04:38 PM
Oh. Darn. I guess that makes sense. Is there any way to increase the effects of spells like stoneskin or mage armor? Other than abjurant champion, because that doesn't work with mage armor by RAW.

Greater Mage Armor?

Harbinger
2013-11-30, 04:44 PM
Greater Mage Armor?

Greater Mage Armor??? Holy cow! I wasn't aware that existed. Thanks.