PDA

View Full Version : bardic music without a class dip?

Deca4531
2013-11-30, 02:08 PM
I'm not sure if its possible but I figure what's the harm in asking, is there any way to get the bardic music ability without taking a level dip. I know there are some magic items that can grant class abilities like rage or sneak attack but I don't know about Bardik music or not

Mountain
2013-11-30, 02:13 PM
It's nearly impossible.

A level 19 factotum can duplicate almost any class ability (Bardic Music included). For what you're wanting, you would still have to have the requisite ranks in perform, but everything is a class skill for a factotum, so no problem.

Deca4531
2013-11-30, 02:18 PM
It's nearly impossible.

A level 19 factotum can duplicate almost any class ability (Bardic Music included). For what you're wanting, you would still have to have the requisite ranks in perform, but everything is a class skill for a factotum, so no problem.

darn I was really hoping there might be a choker, or some other magic item or maybe even a feat that would allow me to gain the ability. There's a prestige class I want to go into but it requires Bardik music and I don't want to waste a level to get it.

Irk
2013-11-30, 02:23 PM
smite to song?

Baroknik
2013-11-30, 02:26 PM
Paladin Smite to Song ACF may qualify (it gives you IC)

mabriss lethe
2013-11-30, 02:29 PM
From Smite to Song isn't an ACF. It's a feat from Champions of Valor.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-11-30, 02:34 PM
It's nearly impossible.

Actually, cunning brilliance can only mimic extraordinary abilities. All of bardic music's abilities are supernatural or spell-like so a factotum can't mimic it.

Valwyn
2013-11-30, 02:59 PM
There is the Warrior Skald from Races of Faerun (pg 187). You need Power Attack, Cleave, Concentration 6, and Perform (poetry) 9. You get Bardic Music at level 1, complete with all bardic music effects you'd have (limited by your ranks in Perform).

I know it's not what you wanted, but it's better than nothing. At the very least you don't take an actual level of Bard.

Darrin
2013-11-30, 03:35 PM
Polymorph into a Lillend?

Ruethgar
2013-11-30, 03:40 PM
I am pouring through my books, but I can't find it. Somewhere there are rules for mundane music giving AoE bonuses about equal to 0 level spells. DC 20 perform I think. It isn't exactly bardic music, but it is close.

EugeneVoid
2013-11-30, 05:41 PM
Not mine. This is from the Breaking Down Inspire Courage handbook.

Lute [String Instruments] (Complete Adventurer 126): You get +1 effective Bard level for Bardic Music. Debatably, this lets non-Bards use Inspire Courage 1/day as a Bard1. If this works, you've replaced the best part of a class with a 100G nonmagical item and 3 Perform ranks!

Cruiser1
2013-11-30, 05:58 PM
A Firre (BoED) gets Bardic Music as a (Su) ability, and with unlimited uses! Shapechange into a Firre Eladrin and you get Bardic Music too.

The Prestige Bard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/prestigiousCharacterClasses.htm#prestigeBard) PrC grants Bardic Music, which technically gives you the ability without a Bard level. However it loses a CL in its first level, so optimizers will probably still want to avoid it.

Mountain
2013-11-30, 05:59 PM
I would say that, RAW, the lute gives you the bardic music ability of a first level bard. Now, that's one of those ridiculous RAW things, and almost certainly not RAI, but it does say you gain +1 effective level, and 0+1 is 1, last time I checked.