PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Apprentice feat questions

Valwyn
2013-11-30, 02:46 PM
[...] Upon becoming an apprentice, a character immediately gains two new class skills and two bonus skill points to spend on these class skills.

These new class skills are added to the class skill list for any character class or prestige class she gains. [...] A character immediately gains two new class skills and two bonus skill points to spend on these class skills. These new class skills are added to the class skill list for any character class or prestige class she gains. [...]

Surpassing the Mentor: [...] The mentor's associated skills remain class skills for purposes of determining the maximum rank he can have in those skills, and he still retains the secondary benefits, but an associated skill can only be purchased as a class skill if he gains a level in a class that has that skill as a class skill. [...]

I have a few questions about this feat (which is why I didn't go to the RAW thread).

Let's say I take Philosopher (any Knowledge+Sense Motive).

1) Are the bonus skill points multiplied at level 1? If not, do I need to use one point on each skill or can I use both to buy ranks in the same skill?
2) The text says that you get those skills added to all your classes, and Surpasing the Mentor says that those skills count as class skill for determining your possible max ranks, but then it also says that you have to buy the ranks as a cross-class skill unless you multiclass into something that already has those skills. Is that contradictory or am I missing something?

Valwyn
2013-11-30, 04:16 PM
Bump? charaters

Khatoblepas
2013-11-30, 04:34 PM
For 2) It's treated the same way other cross-class skills are.

Say, if you're a Wizard, and have Knowledge (arcana) as a class skill. You reach level 5, and spent 8 skill points to reach the cap. Your next level, you take a level in Fighter (much to the consternation of all people everywhere). Fighter does not have Know (Arcana) as a class skill, so you must spend 2 skill points to increase it to 9 ranks. You don't suddenly lose the ability to meet the cap if it not currently a class skill.

It doesn't matter at the point of skill point distribution that it is not currently a class skill for you - so long as it was a class skill, you can reach the cap. It just costs extra for you to reach it.

Citation:

Regardless of whether a skill is purchased as a class skill or a cross-class skill, if it is a class skill for any of your classes, your maximum rank equals your total character level + 3.

All it means is that you have to buy them for 2 skill points instead of 1 once you Surpass Your Mentor.

Valwyn
2013-11-30, 04:45 PM
Ah, thanks for the explanation. :smallsmile:

PS: Maybe the wizard was going gish? :smallbiggrin: