PDA

View Full Version : 5th level wizard, want to check on my spells let me know if you have any suggestions

kpumphre
2013-11-30, 08:54 PM
5th level grey elf wizard with UA variant and domain.
Here is a list of the spells I'm looking at. Never played a magic user before so are their any more you suggest or any you say don't bother and why? I will have my blink dog charge and deliver the touch attacks before DD back to me.

[B]Level 3: 3
-Shivering Touch (Frostburn)
Haste
Ray of Exhaustion

Fly
Wind wall
Level 2: Spectral Hand 3
-Ray of Stupidity: 1d4+1 int damage, no save. Not a penlaty like Ray of Enfeeblement: DAMAGE. This spell takes down any animal and most magical beasts with one casting. Metamagic means that it can take down fighters and rogues, and seriously inconvenience other wizards. This spell is scary good.
Invisibility
Kelgore's Grave Mist
touch of idiocy

Level 1: Ray of Clumsiness 5
Ray of Enfeeblement
Mount(PH p256) – Summons riding horse for 2 hours
per level.
Obscuring Mist(PH p258) – Fog surrounds you.
Reduce person
Enlarge person
Backbiter
benign transposition
Nerveskitter
Power Word Pain

Grease
0—daze; 1st—charm person; 2nd—hideous laughter; 3rd—suggestion; 4th—confusion; 5th—hold monster; 6th—greater heroism; 7th—insanity; 8th—mass charm monster; 9th—dominate monster.

Irk
2013-11-30, 09:10 PM
Kelgore's grave mist, benign transposition, nerveskitter, power word pain, wings of cover, and touch of idiocy are some that come to mind

EDIT: as ya'll have pointed out, wings of cover is sorc only, oops, sorry.

kpumphre
2013-11-30, 09:18 PM
wings of cover is that a wizard spell?

eggynack
2013-11-30, 09:29 PM
wings of cover is that a wizard spell?
Nope. Sorcerer only. As for other suggestions, I'd ditch enchantment domain for conjuration or transmutation, and definitely get rid of reduce person for a start. Maybe add silent image. You're a bit heavy on the ray debuff thing as is, so I'd probably ditch some of that. Not all of it, but you're averaging more than one samey debuff per level.

avr
2013-11-30, 09:32 PM
Wings of Cover is sorcerer only, you're right.

Shivering Touch is a spell which does get banned a lot, be warned.

If your blink dog is delivering the spells you don't need Spectral Hand so much. Maybe an area effect spell like Web or Glitterdust?

kpumphre
2013-11-30, 09:49 PM
Question about glitter dust

A cloud of golden particles covers everyone and everything in the area, causing creatures to become blinded and visibly outlining invisible things for the duration of the spell. All within the area are covered by the dust, which cannot be removed and continues to sparkle until it fades.

But invisibility says
The creature or object touched becomes invisible, vanishing from sight, even from darkvision. If the recipient is a creature carrying gear, that vanishes, too. If you cast the spell on someone else, neither you nor your allies can see the subject, unless you can normally see invisible things or you employ magic to do so.

Items dropped or put down by an invisible creature become visible; items picked up disappear if tucked into the clothing or pouches worn by the creature. Light, however, never becomes invisible, although a source of light can become so (thus, the effect is that of a light with no visible source). Any part of an item that the subject carries but that extends more than 10 feet from it becomes visible.

So my thing is the invisible spell says anything that touches me becomes invisible. Yet glitter dust says it out lines invisible tings. Which one trumps which?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Eggynack: Why get rid of reduce person?

eggynack
2013-11-30, 09:54 PM
So my thing is the invisible spell says anything that touches me becomes invisible. Yet glitter dust says it out lines invisible tings. Which one trumps which?
Glitterdust wins, cause it's the specific to invisibility's general.

Eggynack: I have some extra cash to buy some more spells. So that's not a big deal buying them to add to my book. More just need ideas for ones worth while
I usually think of these things in terms of usual spells prepped instead of spells purchased. Also, maybe look into mirror image. That's some ridiculous miss chance.

Eggynack: Why get rid of reduce person?
What's it actually doing for you? Its advantages are largely quantitative, with some bonuses to hit, and to AC and stuff. Enlarge person's benefits are qualitative, granting the target reach, which is important. Little numerical bonuses aren't really worth a spell, and things that grant actual tactical advantages are.

kpumphre
2013-11-30, 09:56 PM
[QUOTE=kpumphre;16527364]

Glitterdust wins, cause it's the specific to invisibility's general.

I usually think of these things in terms of usual spells prepped instead of spells purchased. Also, maybe look into mirror image. That's some ridiculous miss chance.

I was thinking going invisible and then letting my dog deal the damage for me so I stay invisible.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-11-30, 09:56 PM
You misunderstand.

The reference to an object touched is a matter of the spell being able to target a specific object. Objects that an invisible -creature- touches are not rendered invisible unless they're tucked into the invisible creature's clothes or similar.

Even if your understanding had been correct, specific trumps general. The general statement that objects the creature touches become invisible (which, again, is incorrect) would be trumped by the statement that glitterdust's glitter renders invisible creatures outlined.

kpumphre
2013-11-30, 10:04 PM
What's it actually doing for you? Its advantages are largely quantitative, with some bonuses to hit, and to AC and stuff. Enlarge person's benefits are qualitative, granting the target reach, which is important. Little numerical bonuses aren't really worth a spell, and things that grant actual tactical advantages are.

For having to get through small spaces, and one of our front liners is a big tripper. I figure shrinking the big bad guy would help him out, because he counts as large size when it comes to tripping.

EDIT
Any other spells you can suggest I should get?

KillianHawkeye
2013-11-30, 10:04 PM

That is actually NOT what invisibiliy says. Only the things on your person at the time the spell is cast become invisible, plus anything you pick up and tuck inside your pocket or backpack or whatever. Stuff that just touches you, whether it's glitter from the spell or a sack of flour, won't turn invisible just by landing on you.

As for spell selection, one that I like is bands of steel from the Spell Compendium. I believe it's a third level spell IIRC (if not, then second). It's single target, Reflex for partial, and it completely immobilizes the person (rendering them helpless) on a failed save. I think they are only entangled if they make it. This one is a good mage-killer! Note that there is a size limitation, so it won't work on big, low-Dex monsters like giants or bigger dragons.

You always wanna have spells that target different saves.

kpumphre
2013-11-30, 10:08 PM
Ok your right I mis read part of invisibility

eggynack
2013-11-30, 10:11 PM
For having to get through small spaces, and one of our front liners is a big tripper. I figure shrinking the big bad guy would help him out, because he counts as large size when it comes to tripping.
Both uses are rather situational, all things considered. Alter self would probably do you fine on most fitting places issues. Also, add alter self.

Any other spells you can suggest I should get?
Dispel magic is always highly important, and sleet storm and stinking cloud are two of the best spells of that type. Sleet storm doesn't even get blown away. Maybe also wall of smoke, for firsts.

kpumphre
2013-11-30, 10:17 PM
Dispel magic is always highly important, and sleet storm and stinking cloud are two of the best spells of that type. Sleet storm doesn't even get blown away. Maybe also wall of smoke, for firsts.

Dispel magic, what can I use it for other than to take away magic items from the bad guys (which is how we are getting most of ours right now.)

eggynack
2013-11-30, 10:21 PM
Dispel magic, what can I use it for other than to take away magic items from the bad guys (which is how we are getting most of ours right now.)
You mostly use it to turn off spells. As the conventional reasoning goes, the single most dangerous enemy in the game, and thus the most important to have tactics against, is other casters. Similarly, it's important to turn off the long duration spells that enemy casters put on their lackeys, and to turn off the items they rely on. Melee guys generally fold under the weight of most tactics, but casters are tricky.

Kennisiou
2013-11-30, 10:27 PM
Knock, Silent Image, Dispel Magic, Mirror Image, and Mage Armor are all really nice spells you could use. Animate Rope as well.

Knock generally looks like a spell that you wouldn't need, since your party's trapfinder generally can get through locked doors and chests in the like, but you'll want to prepare it at least once a day, sometimes twice in later levels, since it can cover emergency scenarios like party seperation really well, as well as letting you get out of shackles and other nasty forms of anti-caster imprisonment. Still Spell + animate rope and knock prepared means that very little should be able to keep you tied up, since knock undoes locks on chains and stilled animate rope undoes knots in ropes.

Silent image is widely regarded as the best level one spell in the game. As long as they don't have true seeing you can pull off some real shenanigans with it, like evacuating an entire orc camp by creating the image of an elder red dragon flying above it, or convincing enemies that you have the ability to make ghosts.

Dispel magic is mostly used for removing buffs, but is occasionally useful for counterspelling. In general you won't counterspell often, but there are rare moments where a dispel magic or greater dispel counterspell is the exact right move.

Mirror Image's miss chance and mage armor's AC are both really useful ways to make it so your allies don't need to peel for you as much. In generally you shouldn't be getting attacked frequently, but in ambush scenarios it's nice to have recourse.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-11-30, 11:02 PM
You need area effects that damage each type of saving throw. For example:
1st- Wall of Smoke (fort), Grease (reflex)
2nd- Web (reflex), Glitterdust (will)
3rd- Stinking Cloud (fort), Slow (will), Bands of Steel (reflex)

You also need more illusions. Silent Image to make it look like there's a pit so opponents stop, or to make it look like there's a floor so opponents fall in the pit. Hide the doorway you party just retreated down. Make a fake wall to hide behind for an ambush.

Alter Self is one of the most versatile spells in the game, considering just how many different abilities it can give you (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=343.0). I also haven't seen any mention of Rope Trick in this thread yet, aka I'm-out-of-spells-let's-rest-safely if you have a Lesser Rod of Extend.

This guide (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=394) should give you a pretty good idea of what a Wizard should be doing.