PDA

View Full Version : Prayers for a Cleric of Fharlanghn?

Amaril
2013-11-30, 09:45 PM
My group is getting ready to play The Sunless Citadel in a little while, and I'm rolling a cleric of Fharlanghn (the god of roads and protector of travelers, in case you didn't know). One thing I thought might be nice is to find a few songs, poems, or prose pieces that he can use as prayers for added flavor, and I'm looking for any suggestions people have.

I already have a couple of ideas:

The Ballad of Serenity (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DiWxcilWtU), Firefly.
The song Pippin sings for Denethor (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45WXQZ8-tPc) in LotR: The Return of the King.

I'd prefer that most of what I use be fairly short, but if anyone has something that's longer, I can just use part of it. Any suggestions?

Subaru Kujo
2013-11-30, 10:11 PM
I'm honestly not sure if Fharlangn is more of a prayer god than one satisfied by deeds. Pay him respect and travel, and I'd think he'd be cool with you.

Now, as to how the god likes things to be, I'd think he'd want his temples/graveyards at a crossroads. Reason being that the deceased spirit would be able to freely travel where they wanted on death. You could have this as part of your flavor as to where you pray. Offer up thanks to him as you reach each crossroad, even if it's only mentally, as you are making more steps to reach understanding as only travel can reveal.

As far as prayer itself goes, most likely quick requests to allow the person praying to continue their journey to completion would be favored ("Watcher of the Roads, protect me on this journey", for instance). Idea being short, quick, and to the point prayers/requests make it so you can live out Fharlangn's will faster.

Amaril
2013-11-30, 10:15 PM
I'm honestly not sure if Fharlangn is more of a prayer god than one satisfied by deeds. Pay him respect and travel, and I'd think he'd be cool with you.

Now, as to how the god likes things to be, I'd think he'd want his temples/graveyards at a crossroads. Reason being that the deceased spirit would be able to freely travel where they wanted on death. You could have this as part of your flavor as to where you pray. Offer up thanks to him as you reach each crossroad, even if it's only mentally, as you are making more steps to reach understanding as only travel can reveal.

As far as prayer itself goes, most likely quick requests to allow the person praying to continue their journey to completion would be favored ("Watcher of the Roads, protect me on this journey", for instance).

Pretty much what I figured. I'm imagining that when my cleric does actually recite prayers, they'll either be just short phrases like you said, or songs hummed or sung while walking--I'm picturing him strolling along the trail walking in time to the Ballad of Serenity, for example. But yeah, he won't be concerned with prayer and ceremony as much as some clerics.

Calen
2013-12-01, 11:48 AM
Try these (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Road_Goes_Ever_On_(song)) from LOTR (books)

Something your char could hum or sing as traveling. Also seems like it might be easy to change a few words in them to suit the situation or character mood.

Pex
2013-12-01, 12:08 PM
"King of the Road"

Amaril
2013-12-01, 01:01 PM
Try these (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Road_Goes_Ever_On_(song)) from LOTR (books)

Something your char could hum or sing as traveling. Also seems like it might be easy to change a few words in them to suit the situation or character mood.

Ah, of course, how could I have forgotten that one? Totally using it at some point, thanks!

"King of the Road"

Decent song, but the lyrics are a little too modern for a fantasy game. Thanks, though :smallsmile:

Also, another one just occurred to me: The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost.

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I —
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Ianuagonde
2013-12-01, 01:54 PM
Wherever I may roam, from Metallica. If you don't sing it deep and grunty it's quite a nice song. A small sample:

I adapt to the unknown
Under wandering stars I've grown
By myself but not alone

Amaril
2013-12-01, 01:58 PM
Wherever I may roam, from Metallica. If you don't sing it deep and grunty it's quite a nice song. A small sample:

I adapt to the unknown
Under wandering stars I've grown
By myself but not alone

Another excellent suggestion, thanks :smallsmile:

Isamu Dyson
2013-12-01, 03:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQzW6wz2JQk

Subaru Kujo
2013-12-01, 03:29 PM
Pretty much what I figured. I'm imagining that when my cleric does actually recite prayers, they'll either be just short phrases like you said, or songs hummed or sung while walking--I'm picturing him strolling along the trail walking in time to the Ballad of Serenity, for example. But yeah, he won't be concerned with prayer and ceremony as much as some clerics.

Yeah, sorry I couldn't come up with much else there. Decent at making traditions, not so good at making hymns/prayers.

Though this could be ok: "Watcher be vigilant, for the dead travel fast." Stolen re-appropriated from Dracula.

LibraryOgre
2013-12-01, 09:39 PM
The Traveler, from Hackmaster's Tellene (published for 3.x as Kingdoms of Kalamar), has a lot in common with Fharlanghn. Consider that a lot of his worshipers will be caravan guards and travelling merchants.

While Divine Masters (http://www.kenzerco.com/product_info.php?cPath=25_28_44&products_id=565) from Kenzerco has a lot of details on the faith, consider what a priest of Fharlanghn is going to oppose... things like banditry, pirates, and other things that make people unwilling to travel.

Someone mentioned "Road Goes Ever Ever On (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdQ1E3t3Qq0)" from the Hobbit...

Pex
2013-12-01, 10:37 PM
Backpacks for sale or rent
Rooms to let...copper sense.
No food, no bath, no pets
I ain't got no pipe or grits
Ah, but..two hours of pushin' broom
Buys an eight by twelve silver piece room
I'm a man of means by no means
King of the road.

Third caravan, midnight plain
Destination...country of Thane
Old worn out clothes and shoes,
I don't pay no guild or dues,
I smoke old stogies I have found
Short, but not too big around
King of the road.

I know every driver on every horse
All of their children, their names of course
And every handout in every town
And every lock that ain't locked
When no one's around.

I sing,
Backpacks for sale or rent
Rooms to let...copper sense.
No food, no bath, no pets
I ain't got no pipe or grits
Ah, but..two hours of pushin' broom
Buys an eight by twelve silver piece room
King of the road.

:smallbiggrin:

Amaril
2013-12-01, 10:47 PM
-snip-

...Better :smallbiggrin:

Fiery Diamond
2013-12-02, 01:41 AM
Also, another one just occurred to me: The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost.

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I —
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

First thing that came to mind when I read the first post was this.

Fearan
2013-12-02, 03:54 AM
Someone mentioned "Road Goes Ever Ever On (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdQ1E3t3Qq0)" from the Hobbit...

This. The Greatest Adventure (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dQ5c5SIYnc) works too.

Irrek57
2013-12-02, 12:24 PM
"Fair paths and safe journey."

A simple kindly blessing that I believe would fit the mantra of the god of travelers and roads.

hamishspence
2013-12-02, 12:26 PM
I wonder if anything from Paint Your Wagon qualifies? Maybe the title song, or alternatively, Wand'rin' Star, might fit.

Zeb
2013-12-02, 12:34 PM
Could use the traditional Gaelic blessing: (replace God with Fharlanghn)

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face;
the rains fall soft upon your fields
and until we meet again,
may God hold you in the palm of His hand

Amaril
2013-12-02, 12:37 PM
Could use the traditional Gaelic blessing: (replace God with Fharlanghn)

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face;
the rains fall soft upon your fields
and until we meet again,
may God hold you in the palm of His hand

I've never heard that one...it's really good though, definitely going on my list.

Thanks for all the suggestions, everybody--I didn't expect this question to get nearly so many responses :smallsmile:

hamishspence
2013-12-02, 12:41 PM
Dragon 294:

"May every road a crossroad be."

Joe the Rat
2013-12-02, 12:45 PM
I wonder if anything from Paint Your Wagon qualifies? Maybe the title song, or alternatively, Wand'rin' Star, might fit.
Where am I goin', I dont' know
When will I get there, I ain't certain,
All that I know is I am on my way...
I really shouldn't be surprised that when I think of something odd and out of the way, someone else will think of it too.

Wand'rin Star sounds more like Celestian, though. Maybe one of their interfaith prayers?

TheDarkSaint
2013-12-04, 11:21 AM
"you can't ride in my little red wagon"

Over....and Over....and Over...

bonus points if you get fellow PC's to sing along :)

Slipperychicken
2013-12-04, 02:06 PM
I imagine a prayer would include stuff like:

Oh great flarglearglhn (sic), who watches the roads,
Who keeps us safe in our travels.
Who protects us from the monsters and highwaymen.
Who keeps the day clear and bright.
May you guide us to correctly pronounce your effing holy name.
May you keep the road well-maintained and clear of obstruction.
May you protect my goods from spoil and damage.
May you keep my legs strong.
May you keep my mount swift.
May you keep my spirits high.
May you bless all I meet with hospitality.
May you give me the strength to walk this road and all others.

CoffeeIncluded
2013-12-05, 01:01 PM
I'm showing this to one of my fellow players, who's also playing a cleric of Fharlanghn.

StryderH
2013-12-06, 12:57 AM
I respect the amount of work you're doing but I just so happened to play the sunless citadel last Sunday and I did it alone with a level 1 and it took like.. a little over an hour :I

I don't think you'll have enough time to use very many prayers. Work on just getting one or two really good ones

Amaril
2013-12-06, 05:45 PM
I respect the amount of work you're doing but I just so happened to play the sunless citadel last Sunday and I did it alone with a level 1 and it took like.. a little over an hour :I

I don't think you'll have enough time to use very many prayers. Work on just getting one or two really good ones

I assumed as much--I never expected to use anywhere near all of what I had, but I wanted it to be there just in case. Also, this kind of stuff helps me get into my character's head better.

Alejandro
2013-12-06, 05:57 PM
Perhaps a reference to 'The Road Not Taken' by Robert Frost?

Amaril
2013-12-06, 06:01 PM
Perhaps a reference to 'The Road Not Taken' by Robert Frost?

Already on the list :smallsmile: