PDA

View Full Version : ...a benign meaning and a profane or offensive one...

Shunka Warakin
2013-11-30, 10:59 PM
I just got tripped up by this today for use of a verb in relation to an eyebrow. :smallamused: I was kind of surprised, because this is a roleplaying forum, and I imagine that people probably try to use it all the time: with firearms when they're being intimidating, with crossbows, with catapults, and some of them who have characters with particularly mobile ears probably do it with their ears, too.

Most profanity is censored by our filter, though a few mild terms (generally those that appear in the comic) and words that have both a benign meaning and a profane or offensive one, are not.

It seems to me (for what little my opinion is worth) that the benign use advantages here on this forum far outweigh other meanings. It's a term that's VERY prevalent in roleplaying, and I'm kind of surprised to see that it isn't permitted past the censor. I would think that any abuse of the term would fall under all of the other varied rules for slapping down rude and inconsiderate people. :smallwink:

For the time being, my poor character can 'quirk' her eyebrow instead, but that does have subtly different meaning. I'm a little worried about what might happen if one tried to load a crossbow after 'quirking' it...Sounds potentially dangerous...And I'm certainly not going to get any IC compliance out of a stormtrooper if my character 'quirks' a blaster at him. :smalleek:

...And goodness, what do we do if we are discussing more than one male bird? 'Rooster' only applies to male chickens! :smallbiggrin:

Morcleon
2013-11-30, 11:33 PM
I believe there was a ruling some time ago that you can circumvent the filter for benign uses of otherwise filtered words. For example, you can most certainly **** your head to the side. (quote to see the code usage) :smallbiggrin:

TaiLiu
2013-11-30, 11:37 PM
Ah, for those innocent usages, a clever usage of colours can be used to get around that.

"I **** one of my eyebrows."

To be exact:

"I **** one of my eyebrows."

The_Snark
2013-11-30, 11:52 PM
I believe there was a ruling some time ago that you can circumvent the filter for benign uses of otherwise filtered words. For example, you can most certainly **** your head to the side. (quote to see the code usage) :smallbiggrin:
Indeed - see these (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9331806#post9331806) two (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10873515#post10873515) threads for mod comments on the subject.

Roland St. Jude
2013-11-30, 11:55 PM
Sheriff: Indeed. There is, as they say, nothing new under the sun.

Rawhide
2013-12-01, 05:39 AM
I have nothing to add, I just wanted to note that it was I who first suggested the use of assigning part of the word the colour black. :smallwink: