PDA

View Full Version : Advantages of dwarf's ability to maintain speed?

Saruman
2013-11-30, 11:51 PM
Hi, this question is kind of stupid, but: dwarves can move at 20 feet no matter if wearing heavy armor, so,
What are the advantages of a dwarf's ability to maintain his speed wearing armor, if humans or other medium creatures have a base speed of 30ft, and 20ft (same as dwarves) when reduced by their armors? I think that dwarves count as medium creatures so they also don't get a benefit to their AC.

FinnDarkblade
2013-12-01, 12:16 AM
Hi, this question is kind of stupid, but: dwarves can move at 20 feet no matter if wearing heavy armor, so,
What are the advantages of a dwarf's ability to maintain his speed wearing armor, if humans or other medium creatures have a base speed of 30ft, and 20ft (same as dwarves) when reduced by their armors? I think that dwarves count as medium creatures so they also don't get a benefit to their AC.

Their speed would be reduced even further by heavy armor without that feature. I believe it would go down to 15ft. So since Dwarves are a common race for fighters, they can actually keep up with fighters of other races while they're all wearing full-plate.

AMFV
2013-12-01, 12:19 AM

They can tumble also, even in heavy armor. They can use movement related abilities in heavy armor. If they have some way to increase their movement speed then that will carry over into heavy armor as well.

Greenish
2013-12-01, 01:30 AM
Their speed would be reduced even further by heavy armor without that feature. I believe it would go down to 15ft.Heavy armour reduces 30' speed to 20', just like medium.

There are various exotic armours that reduce the speed more, but most of those (all of the ones I can think of) specifically state that the dwarven ability doesn't work with them.

If they have some way to increase their movement speed then that will carry over into heavy armor as well.That's true for everyone, though, isn't it?

Jack_Simth
2013-12-01, 01:41 AM
Heavy armour reduces 30' speed to 20', just like medium.

There are various exotic armours that reduce the speed more, but most of those (all of the ones I can think of) specifically state that the dwarven ability doesn't work with them.
That's true for everyone, though, isn't it?
Yes, but not as much. If you have an effect that gives +20 to your speed, the Dwarf in Full Plate is rocking at 40 feet. The human fighter in full plate, however (50 with the +20 enhancement) is down to 35.

Oh yes, and some readings mean that a Dwarf can Run in full plate, where most critters can't.

Scow2
2013-12-01, 02:08 AM
I think the primary meaning is that it can run at a full x4(x5 with the Run feat), instead of the x3 that Full Plate normally carries. Tumbling with heavy and medium armor is merely a bonus.

Greenish
2013-12-01, 02:16 AM
Yes, but not as much. If you have an effect that gives +20 to your speed, the Dwarf in Full Plate is rocking at 40 feet. The human fighter in full plate, however (50 with the +20 enhancement) is down to 35.Huh, that's an interpretation I don't think I've seen before. I've always just assumed the speed reduction applies to base speed, and any bonuses would be applied later.

…I can't claim to know why I'd thought it'd work like that, now that I think of it.

Scow2
2013-12-01, 02:18 AM
Huh, that's an interpretation I don't think I've seen before. I've always just assumed the speed reduction applies to base speed, and any bonuses would be applied later.

…I can't claim to know why I'd thought it'd work like that, now that I think of it.I don't see why it doesn't work like that. Is there a table for how speeds greater than 30' work?

In fact, I don't think his assertion is true at all, and merely conjecture based on the two speeds given.

...another one for the Dysfunctional handbook.

Jack_Simth
2013-12-01, 02:36 AM
I don't see why it doesn't work like that. Is there a table for how speeds greater than 30' work?
There is a table for super-30 movement (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/carryingCapacity.htm#tableCarryingLoads), although it's based on load rather than armor specifically.

AMFV
2013-12-01, 02:47 AM
There is a table for super-30 movement (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/carryingCapacity.htm#tableCarryingLoads), although it's based on load rather than armor specifically.

Dwarves also get the speed when carrying a medium or heavy load. Which is important in any case. There are very few ways to reduce a dwarf's speed without cursing him directly.

Darrin
2013-12-01, 03:40 AM
What are the advantages of a dwarf's ability to maintain his speed wearing armor, if humans or other medium creatures have a base speed of 30ft, and 20ft (same as dwarves) when reduced by their armors?

Dwarves can wear mountain plate (Races of Stone) or mechanus gear (Planar Handbook) and still move at 20', while faster medium-sized humanoids with a 30' base speed are only moving at 15'.

Greenish
2013-12-01, 03:56 AM
Dwarves can wear mountain plate (Races of Stone) or mechanus gear (Planar Handbook) and still move at 20', while faster medium-sized humanoids with a 30' base speed are only moving at 15'.Mountain Plate has specific exception to that:
When wearing mountain plate, a dwarf’s speed is reduced as if he were not a dwarf (just as heavy armor would typically reduce the speed of a human or any other character who is not a dwarf).