PDA

View Full Version : Weapon Help

Rinnbaku
2013-12-01, 12:58 AM
I wanted to make a character that used a short sword, but she's specc'd for slashing weapons, not piercing. What are the standard rules (if any) for changing a weapon's damage type in 3.5? I can't seem to find them in PHB (I or II), DMG (same), or Arms/Equip. Guide...

TTFN
Rinn ^_^

Greenish
2013-12-01, 01:37 AM
There aren't any rules for changing the damage type of a given weapon permanently (aside from a few feats for unarmed strikes).

There's cutlass from Stormwrack (and quite possibly also in A&EG), which is basically identical to a short sword except for dealing slashing damage. Or you could just ask your DM.

Sir Chuckles
2013-12-01, 01:41 AM
Asking your DM "Can I say that my sword is not a point spike and instead an actual sword, and that I use it for slashing?".
It's just the how Greatswords aren't listed as doing piercing damage, but you very well can stab with on (Further made apparent in the rules for fighting in cramped spaces).

If your DM says "No, it's listed a Piercing, so it can only do Piercing because RAW.", you have two options:
1) say "I ask the blacksmith to make me a bladed short sword". If he says no to that, you're in trouble and should refer to #2.
2) Pick up any other slashing weapon (If you want light, I'd go with a Cutlass. +2 to resist disarms, and functionally the same. It's Martial, so if you're planning on being a Rogue, it's a no-go. If you have to stay with simple weapons, there's the Sickle.) From there, realize that he is obsessed with RAW and begin abusing RAW so that he realizes that RAW is a myth.

Greenish
2013-12-01, 01:49 AM
It's just the how Greatswords aren't listed as doing piercing damage, but you very well can stab with on (Further made apparent in the rules for fighting in cramped spaces).Of course, stabbing with a greatsword still deals slashing damage. :smalltongue:

It's Martial, so if you're planning on being a Rogue, it's a no-go. If you have to stay with simple weapons, there's the Sickle.Or dagger. A mere point less damage than a shortsword, but it stabs, it cuts, it can be thrown, and it's easy to hide.

Darrin
2013-12-01, 03:53 AM
There's cutlass from Stormwrack (and quite possibly also in A&EG), which is basically identical to a short sword except for dealing slashing damage.

There's also the Straightblade in the Planar Handbook. Same stats and as with the cutlass it's also a martial weapon, so no need for EWP.

A&EG has the Butterfly Sword. Exotic, but can be used as a special monk weapon.

In MMIV, there's the Dragonsplit, which can be used as either a piercing weapon (19-20/x2) or a slashing weapon (20/x4). It's an exotic one-handed weapon, but counts as light for the purposes of Weapon Finesse and TWF. Unfortunately, no price is given.