PDA

View Full Version : RIP Paul Walker

otakuryoga
2013-12-01, 01:57 AM
http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=841434

Paul Walker(the star of the Fast & Furious franchise)
was killed in a car accident Saturday....

KillianHawkeye
2013-12-01, 09:43 AM
Oh, the irony! :smallfrown:

Killer Angel
2013-12-01, 02:15 PM
Indeed, fate got a twisted sense of dark humor. :smallfrown:

Maxios
2013-12-01, 02:16 PM
He was a great actor, and from what I've heard a really nice guy. Rest in peace...

Sunken Valley
2013-12-01, 02:40 PM
So does this mean no FF7?

Cikomyr
2013-12-01, 04:26 PM
I know it's bad form to speak ill of the deads..

but I hope this will wake up some of the young people who practice reckless fast driving, many of them taking after the F&F franchise. It always saddens me to hear about young people who killed themselves by speeding, and it angers me when I learn they've killed innocent people in their stupidity.

Movies like F&F are, in my personal opinion, immoral.

Maxios
2013-12-01, 04:56 PM
I know it's bad form to speak ill of the deads..

but I hope this will wake up some of the young people who practice reckless fast driving, many of them taking after the F&F franchise. It always saddens me to hear about young people who killed themselves by speeding, and it angers me when I learn they've killed innocent people in their stupidity.

Many of them? I'm sorry, but how do you know what led to those people speeding? Have there been studies that proved that teenagers/young adults who watch the F&F movies are more likely to drive like maniacs? Because, under that logic, everything that involves reckless driving (ranging from Mario Kart all the way to Starsky and Hutch) results in people trying to replicate it in real life...

Cikomyr
2013-12-01, 05:21 PM
Many of them? I'm sorry, but how do you know what led to those people speeding? Have there been studies that proved that teenagers/young adults who watch the F&F movies are more likely to drive like maniacs? Because, under that logic, everything that involves reckless driving (ranging from Mario Kart all the way to Starsky and Hutch) results in people trying to replicate it in real life...

F&F is the more prevalent entertainment franchise that makes the promotion of car-pimping and dangerous speeding, no?

pita
2013-12-01, 05:33 PM

Anecdotal evidence not being actual evidence notwithstanding, I can safely say that the movies do, in fact, result in people speeding.
Poor guy. Definitely taken before his time.

-Sentinel-
2013-12-01, 05:48 PM
This saddens me greatly. :smallfrown:

I hope it's not insensitive on my part to wish we still get F&F 7 somehow. Yes, they're big dumb action movies, but they're a guilty pleasure of mine, as a car lover (and Michelle Rodriguez fan). And the way the last one ended, we cannot not have a sequel, even if they decide to make it the last of the franchise.

I think that's a bit of a moralistic thing to say. If all movies had to be about law-abiding citizens, like at the time of the Hays Code, a lot of great franchises would never have seen the light of day.

Speeders gonna speed.

Cikomyr
2013-12-01, 05:54 PM
I think that's a bit of a moralistic thing to say. If all movies had to be about law-abiding citizens, like at the time of the Hays Code, a lot of great franchises would never have seen the light of day.

Speeders gonna speed.

Did my comment gave in any way the impression that it wasn't meant to be moralistic?

Maxios
2013-12-01, 07:02 PM
F&F is the more prevalent entertainment franchise that makes the promotion of car-pimping and dangerous speeding, no?

The most prevalent film franchise that involves speeding? I think I'd give that title to the James Bond series instead. The most prevalent all time entertainment franchise involving speeding? Definitely the Grand Theft Auto series.

Cikomyr
2013-12-01, 11:31 PM
James Bond is not ABOUT speeding. It's not ABOUT car races. That's only a mean used by the story, not the focus of the actual bloody story.

Maxios
2013-12-02, 01:17 AM
James Bond is not ABOUT speeding. It's not ABOUT car races. That's only a mean used by the story, not the focus of the actual bloody story.

A mean that's used quite often...

While I strongly disagree with your opinions, I will not argue any further. This is a memorial thread, and to continue to do so would be disrespectful to the dead.

Killer Angel
2013-12-02, 07:06 AM

While not untrue, I would avoid generalizations. The "Death Wish" movies, were promoting vigilantism and private vengeance? Is Dirty Harry the manifest of True Justice, no matter laws and rules?

Sometime, a film is just a film, even if its contents are morally questionable.

KnightDisciple
2013-12-02, 08:26 PM

No it's about being a remorseless killer who lives in the shadow world of international spy-dom, who views women as pieces of meat to be used and discarded, and considers international law a set of loose guidelines to occasionally glance at.

-Sentinel-
2013-12-02, 09:53 PM
Can we please stop denigrating movie franchises? This is quite beside the point of this thread. :smallsigh:

Turns out Paul Walker had a 15-year-old daughter...

A movie in which he plays the lead role, Hours (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hours_(2013_film)), will hit the theaters on December 13. I know it's a cynical thing to say, but the box office results are now sure to exceed expectations.