PDA

View Full Version : Cunning breach and spell immunity

molten_dragon
2013-12-01, 06:57 AM
I'm playing a factotum, and just got the Cunning Breach ability. I'm wondering if this lets you penetrate spell immunity too.

The relevant text of the ability is:

By spending 2 inspiration points as a free action, you can ignore a single target's spell resistance and damage reduction for 1 round. The target automatically fails any spell resistance check that she attempts to avoid your spell.

The text of spell immunity is:

A creature with spell immunity avoids the effects of spells and spell-like abilities that directly affect it. This works exactly like spell resistance, except that it cannot be overcome.

Emperor Tippy
2013-12-01, 07:25 AM
Yes, it's one of the reasons that I call Factotum an 11 level Epic casting PrC.

Cunning Breach lets you whack golems with SR: Yes spells.

AWiz_Abroad
2013-12-01, 08:11 AM
All hail Emperor Tippy,

That being said, I'm not sure this isn't squarely ask your DM territory, as it seems to be an immovable object, irrestible force situation.

If you were at my table, I'd say no, and I'm a generous DM about the amount of cheese.

Emperor Tippy
2013-12-01, 08:16 AM
All hail Emperor Tippy,

That being said, I'm not sure this isn't squarely ask your DM territory, as it seems to be an immovable object, irrestible force situation.

If you were at my table, I'd say no, and I'm a generous DM about the amount of cheese.

"This works exactly like spell resistance, except that it cannot be overcome. "

And it isn't being overcome, it is being ignored. A somewhat subtly but very important distinction.

AWiz_Abroad
2013-12-01, 08:36 AM
I do see your point Tippy, and by now, I've seen you trample enough poor neophytes in RAW discussions that I'm going to concede the field.

I cannot though in good conscience belive that 11 levels of factotum should be able to simply ignore even an Epic Shadesteel Golem's (your prefered enforcers I believe) SR.

Emperor Tippy
2013-12-01, 11:44 AM
Why not? One spell lets you ignore metal weapons. Another lets you ignore magic. Another lets you make copies of deities. Another lets you take the form and powers of most any creature. Another renders you immune to more than an entire school of magic. Another renders you immune to death via HP damage. Another lets you lift people from the presence of Greater Deities despite the Greater Deity trying to stop it.

Spending 11 levels that don't advance casting to ignore SR is perfectly reasonable and just fine power wise.

Blackhawk748
2013-12-01, 11:47 AM
Also spell immunity is just infinite spell resistance, i believe these exact words are in some WotC material, i just cant remember were