PDA

View Full Version : A new PrC! The Disciple of the Glass Greataxe

Baron Corm
2007-01-13, 08:15 PM
The Disciple of the Glass Greataxe is a warrior who never holds back. He is focused on dealing as much damage as possible while not caring if he himself is destroyed. He is not furious like a Frenzied Berzerker or stupid like your typical Barbarian; he has self-discipline, just a unique philosophy. It is not an entirely mundane melee class either; the DotGG gains various Supernatural Abilities tied towards dealing great damage.

Disciple of the Glass Greataxe

Table:

Level 1: Power of the Glass Greataxe
Level 4: Supernatural Strength
Level 6: Hidden Power of the Glass Greataxe
Level 10: Shards

Hit Die: d4
Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier.
Base Attack Bonus: As fighter.
Base Saves: Low Fort, High Will, Low Reflex
Class Skills: Concentration, Intimidate, Ride, Swim, Knowledge, Climb, Jump

Requirements

To qualify to become a Disciple of the Glass Greataxe, a character must fulfill all the following criteria:

Base Attack Bonus: +10
Special: Must be taught by an existing Disciple of the Glass Greataxe. This would mostly be done by accidently coming across one while adventuring, kind of like how Elan became a Dashing Swordsman. There are no established areas where these Disciples gather. The teacher would not teach you unless he saw potential in you, as noted by the other requirements.

Once your training is (nearly) complete, the teacher reveals to you that you must duel to the death to complete the process. If you kill him, you recieve his Greataxe, which is probably magically enchanted, and can now gain your first level in the class.

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiency

Disciples of the Glass Greataxe become proficient with the Greataxe during their training process if they weren't already. A DotGG loses all of his class abilities if he is wielding any other weapon or is unarmed.

Power of the Glass Greataxe (Su)

The Disciple of the Glass Greataxe may empower his currently wielded weapon with a slashing damage bonus equal to his class level as a free action, though this ability does not stack with itself. Once activated, his currently wielded weapon also appears as if it is made out of glass until it is taken out of his hands.

Hidden Power of the Glass Greataxe (Su)

Starting at Level 6, the Disciple of the Glass Greataxe may concentrate for as many rounds as he wishes. He may make no attacks during this time. If he makes an attack, he must make a Concentration check with a DC equal to the number of rounds that he prepared himself. Making this check causes his atttack to do additional damage equal to the number of rounds that he prepared himself, while failing it will make him do that damage to himself. This is the secret ability that the Disciple's teacher told him is the trademark of their order. It comes to the Disciple when he is truly ready (Level 6 :D).

Supernatural Strength (Su)

The Disciple of the Glass Greataxe gains +2 bonuses to his strength at levels 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, and 10.

Shards (Su)

At Level 10, the Disciple of the Glass Greataxe gains the ability to crush his opponent so hard that shards of his Greataxe break off and do furthur damage. Three times per day, he may declare an attack to inflict Shards. Upon a successful hit, the enemy creature takes 1d12 piercing damage per round for 10 rounds. If the DotGG fails to hit, the ability is wasted.

These shards ARE made out of glass and no damage is actually done to the DotGG's Greataxe.

geez3r
2007-01-13, 09:01 PM
I think it is actually underpowered if I'm reading it right.

Reptilius
2007-01-13, 09:10 PM
d4 Hit Dice?!?!?!?!?!?!?! That alone makes this class scar my soul. Warrior classes shouldn't have weak little wizard health! *sob*

Myatar_Panwar
2007-01-13, 09:14 PM
Ummmm, glass? I'm guessing that for any glass greatax to be useable, it must be enchanted in some way as to stop it from shattering on armor, hide, or just a bone really. (I mean oblivion had glass weapons but that seemed a little wierd)

ilovefire
2007-01-13, 10:03 PM
Ah, but glass holds an edge infinitely sharper than metal: the aztec (or was it mayan? can never remember) maquauitle (can never remember how to spell it), a club studded with sharp volcanic glass, could, according to the writings of the conquistadores of spain, lop off a horses head with a good swing.

Baron Corm
2007-01-14, 01:17 AM
heh, if you read it, he uses a regular greataxe, it simply appears to be made of glass when he wields it and turns on Power of the Glass Greataxe. as for the d4 hit die... i wanted it to be just that, a melee class with the constitution and damage output of a sorceror. apparently i didn't make the damage output great enough! so which numbers should i make larger?

Fizban
2007-01-14, 03:47 AM
The requirements break all norms, the class itself is underpowered, and what the heck is up with End and Begin Anew? It's baisically there so that the person gets their starting class' 11th level ability, why? The whole point of a PrC is to get different abilities.

My suggestions: change prerequisities to something normal, probably just BAB and fort save. 5 level long class, d10 hit die.
1st level: gains +1/level bonus on damage with a greataxe.
3rd level: may deal extra damage by concentrating for a number of rounds. This concentration may be interruped like a spell, but when the concentration ends, the disciple gains an extra +1 damage/round spent concentrating for one round.
5th: shards, as your ability.

Yay, that was wholly illegible, but I don't feel like fixing it.

Mewtarthio
2007-01-14, 04:00 AM
*whistles* look at all those dead levels. Am I reading it correctly in that only levels 1, 4, 6, and 10 get anything at all (and level 1 doesn't really do much, either)?

Baron Corm
2007-01-14, 01:41 PM
alright changed prereqs to BAB +10... i'm pretty adamant about keeping the d4 hit die, that's the entire idea of the class. added four more levels where you gain +2 strength, for a total of +12. changed skill points to 4 + modifier and took out end and begin anew.

Reptilius
2007-01-14, 07:53 PM
*sniffle*...d4...WAAAAAH! Mommy!!!!

I think that it should be at least d6. Your class gets up close and personal with horrible nasties wielding a giant hunk of glass! Melee combat and d4s don't agree. In fact they try to kill each other at every opportunity. d4 always loses.

Eighth_Seraph
2007-01-14, 08:00 PM
If you're giving it the d4, the damage output needs to be completely astronomical. Of course, once that's balanced, that'll lead to overpowering by an invisible, defense-based or undead DotGG. As much as you may want the d4 hit dice, it will never make sense AND there's no flavor at all to support it. This seems like a PrC that belongs in a large secret organization or in a small sect. Specify that, as well as the reasoning for the low hitdice. Also, I agree that this should be a five-level PrC.